ECF AGM 2021

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Jonathan Bryant

Re: ECF AGM 2021

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:04 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:37 pm
Meanwhile, Tim Wall is busy maligning Michael Farthing on Twitter. During this morning he took time out to sneer at this Forum and to allege that Mike Truran couldn't be trusted to keep his agreement with Malcolm Pein.
Mick Norris wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:45 pm
Well yes David, and it is going to continue ad nauseum, attacking everyone who stands up to them; that's what bullying is all about

There's a way for Malcolm to stop this, but he's not going to is he?

What was all that about peace breaking out? I'm sure I was reading about this just a few days ago.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:21 pm

Everything is now done votes for the elections are still being counted.

Both card votes passed by over 100 vote majorities (approving the NED’s report and the Governance Report).

It’s 6.20pm and I’m going home!

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:54 pm

The meeting is over and the election results are to be e-mailed tomorrow apparantly.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:02 pm

"The meeting is over and the election results are to be e-mailed tomorrow apparantly."

And then the losers claim it's rigged?

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:22 pm

It seems there were some technical issues with the counting. Essentially there was online voting if you were on Zoom, but some people in the actual venue tried to vote on Zoom, encountered issues, so voted using a "card" system instead. There was then a potential issue of double-counting, so the tellers would I think have needed to do some careful auditing, causing delay. (Apologies if this isn't quite right, I was on Zoom and it was hard to follow events in the room at times).

I doubt the losers would blame the counting, as ultimately the voting is transparent and the tellers are known to be above reproach. They are more likely to blame the voting system, which .. well everyone knows it's not ideal.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:14 pm

The chess community really needs to stand up and say that we don't want any more of the bullying. Whether you agree with Mike Truran's approach or favour Malcolm Pein, there really is no justification for some of the rubbish. Why would anybody volunteer when there is some much s**t flying around?
I think Malcolm Pein has to take some responsibility here, some of this is happening with his knowledge and seemingly he is happy with it. Condemn it or step down would be my suggestion.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:40 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:26 pm
One of those three is perhaps a less controversial figure than the other two
Sorry, you will have to explain that.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:48 pm

Nick Ivell wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:51 pm
This forum has been a beacon of light in what has been a very tawdry episode.
I made that point. I find it strange that the only question on which the Board appears to be united is that we are a bunch of lowlifes. I find this mysterious.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:52 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:48 pm
Nick Ivell wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:51 pm
This forum has been a beacon of light in what has been a very tawdry episode.
I made that point. I find it strange that the only question on which the Board appears to be united is that we are a bunch of lowlifes. I find this mysterious.
Blimey Nick, didn't they ask you to leave?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:23 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:52 pm
Blimey Nick, didn't they ask you to leave?
I don't think so, but I'm not very good at noticing things like that.

Bob Kane

Post by Bob Kane » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:28 pm

Nick
you are a true exotic here ... one day you might even commit a vote for change

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:48 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:48 pm
David Sedgwick wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:37 pm
Meanwhile, Tim Wall is busy maligning Michael Farthing on Twitter. During this morning he took time out to sneer at this Forum and to allege that Mike Truran couldn't be trusted to keep his agreement with Malcolm Pein.
... and "I plan to vote for ‘None of the Above’ instead of Mike Truran as CEO at today’s @ecfchess AGM". He didn't mention any Silver members wanting this in his post on chess.com, never mind the majority of those expressing an opinion.
I wish to tell the people that I not shocked as how can he justify that.

I confronted tim today over his telling me my
Figures was wrong and I was willing to show the email to him as proof.

He sent me a spreadsheet said this

1) I have discounted all 'multiple votes'. These are just not safe, no serious election allows 'family voting'.
2)I have allowed the emails from *, even though I cannot find them on my computer. I recall that Xxxxxxxxxxxxx 'voted' before he paid his Silver membership. Anyway, I have allowed these to count
3)I have dismissed your comment about people emailing after Malcolm withdrew. People were expressing a preference, all views are relevant when deciding whether to support Mike on Saturday or not

I had the following
17 Mike
16 Malcolm (3 came in after he withdrew) but also one was not a silver member who replied

Chair of government
Robert 17
Chris 4

I see tim from his comments has voted for none of the above and I hope the silver members really want someone that don’t Think that their views are important???
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:35 am

John Reyes wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:48 pm
3)I have dismissed your comment about people emailing after Malcolm withdrew. People were expressing a preference, all views are relevant when deciding whether to support Mike on Saturday or not
It seems a bit of a leap to interpret "If there's an election, I prefer Malcolm Pein to Mike Truran" as also meaning "If the only candidate is Mike Truran, I prefer no-one".

Members had better express their opinions using single transferable votes next time. :lol:

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:54 am

We are waiting on the election results by email given the hybrid counting model turned out to be quite complex. So I'll comment in more detail later.

There was a card vote on whether to accept the NED report, which Chris Fegan opposed at length. It was passed 260-120, which I think is a useful baseline.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:45 am

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:54 am
We are waiting on the election results by email given the hybrid counting model turned out to be quite complex. So I'll comment in more detail later.

There was a card vote on whether to accept the NED report, which Chris Fegan opposed at length. It was passed 260-120, which I think is a useful baseline.
Word of caution: That is a provisional figure. The tellers were working in great difficulty and made it clear there may have been some double counting and 380 does seem a very high vote, there being 394 votes in total for casting. I would also like to add my very great appreciation of their efforts. They coped cheerfully and competently with a great number of problems and it was clear that they were working very conscientiously, unstintingly and in total cooperation with each other. At the point where I had to leave for my train they were seeking to ensure that all paper information had been transferred accurately to spreadsheet. As the building would be closing it was then agreed that they would jointly agree the spreadsheet data by email contact (or otherwise).