ECF AGM 2021

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
David Sedgwick

Re: ECF AGM 2021

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:35 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:03 pm
Well David, you should know by now that I make pessimistic forecasts with things like this so as always to meet them - so shall we say 31.3.22?
Really, I don't want to set a deadline. I want the tellers to work without any pressure, when they feel alert and continue until they are happy they have the right numbers, so I've stressed to them that I have no deadline. We have problems of potential duplicates because several delegates in attendance sought to use the online voting system which failed under pressure. This left them unsure if their votes had got though and they submitted paper ballots as a precaution. This was done openly and without any intent to deceive but has left the tellers with a difficult unravelling task that could not be completed yesterday as the building was closing.
We certainly don't want a repeat of the fiasco of 2015. Better to have a delay than to have a wrong result.

However, if it is going to take the tellers days to produce the results, then something has gone seriously wrong. In saying that, I am not making any criticism of you, the tellers, or anyone else. I am expressing a desire that there should be a thorough review of procedures before any future Council meeting is held in this format.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:39 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:35 pm
I am expressing a desire that there should be a thorough review of procedures before any future Council meeting is held in this format.
David, I can assure you that Michael said something very similar at the close of the meeting.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:43 pm

In answer to David (Nick got in ahead of while I was composing):

I believe your premise will prove inaccurate.
As to your second sentence that desire is shared by Mike, Malcolm, Robert, Julian, Me, Uncle Tom Cobley et al

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:32 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:01 pm
Two - as I have said many times, it is incrediby unlikely government recognition will happen. Why on earth should it? I doubt it even happened when Bonar Law was Prime Minister.
The best it got may have been when Margaret Thatcher's education department awarded the BCF a grant in 1973. The year may have been significant given the Fischer boom. Contemporary sources suggested it was for support of the International teams and to run a proper office. But in that era, sponsorship went from next to nothing to quite a bit. Also in that era, the Heath government was fond of picking the fruit of the magic money tree and distributing it on social projects.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:48 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:32 pm
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:01 pm
Two - as I have said many times, it is incrediby unlikely government recognition will happen. Why on earth should it? I doubt it even happened when Bonar Law was Prime Minister.
The best it got may have been when Margaret Thatcher's education department awarded the BCF a grant in 1973....

From Hansard, 23rd May 1986

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/1 ... be10/Chess

Beginning with Jeremy Hanley saying,

"This debate on the noble sport of chess is the first in the history of Parliament — a surprising fact when one recognises that it is the only game legally able to be played in the Palace of Westminster, and indeed one for which a room and equipment are specifically provided in the midst of the main Chambers of state."

Includes mention of how the World Championship match of that year (well, the first half) was funded

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:31 pm

"Beginning with Jeremy Hanley saying,

"This debate on the noble sport of chess is the first in the history of Parliament"

Oh no it wasn't...

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:11 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:31 pm
"Beginning with Jeremy Hanley saying,

"This debate on the noble sport of chess is the first in the history of Parliament"

Oh no it wasn't...
After a quick search the first debate (post 1800) that included the word chess was dated

August 1st 1886.

However it concerned pollution in the River Chess.

This one looks more interesting:

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/1 ... eOfCommons

Has my right hon. Friend considered the question of precedent, and is he prepared to assure the House that in regard to amusements this will not create a precedent? This is the first occasion on which this sort of amusement has been permitted.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:40 pm

Some stats for the meeting based on the Voting Register of 14 October (and assuming Robert Stern's votes weren't with the Chairman):
- number of castable votes - 394
- number of full members or direct members' reps with at least one vote - 178
- number of people entitled to vote (including 'Chairman') - 77 (including 5 females)
- people with the most votes -

Code: Select all

Voter		Votes	Acting For
Rob Willmoth	36	12
Chairman	29	15
Mike Truran	27	6
John Reyes	26	12
Alex Longson	25	1
Tim Wall	25	15
Nigel Dennis	13	7
John Wickham	10	4
Paul Sharratt	10	7
Aga Milewska	9	2

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:03 am

The election results are now shown on the ECF website.

Card vote publication will take a little longer and I am not publishing revised voting figures ahead of that as my experience shows that in drawing up the table for publication minor errors of an odd vote do sometimes appear at that stage.

The card votes in question were on acceptance of the Non-Executives report to Council and the Governance Committee's Report to Council. Though the voting figures are not yet published it is very clear that both reports were approved by Council, though with significant dissent.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:27 am

Michael Farthing wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:03 am
Do we get to see how individuals voted? It would be interesting to know how the 178 people/organisations (according to Angus) voted to see what effect organisations with large numbers of votes had on the results.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:50 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:27 am
Michael Farthing wrote:
Do we get to see how individuals voted? It would be interesting to know how the 178 people/organisations (according to Angus) voted to see what effect organisations with large numbers of votes had on the results.
I'm afraid not - breakdowns aren't published for elections. That said, the votes on the two reports, when they appear, might give some idea.
Article 28 wrote:28. A poll demanded on the election of a chairman, or on a question of adjournment, shall be taken forthwith. A poll demanded on any other question shall be taken at such time as the chairman of the meeting directs, and any business other than that upon which a poll has been demanded may be proceeded with pending the taking of the poll. Votes on a poll shall be counted by tellers appointed by the meeting who may themselves vote if so entitled. In respect of a vote by poll where the vote is in respect of election to an office or post, the Tellers shall keep confidential the details of all votes cast except for the totals thereof. In respect of all other votes by poll the chairman shall cause to be published on the Company’s website as soon as reasonably practicable following the meeting details of how the votes of each member were cast. At the end of the meeting the Tellers shall deliver any ballot papers to the chairman.
[My emboldening]

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:35 am

Michael Farthing wrote:
Do you have a link? I couldn't find them in latest news, council papers or ECF documents :oops:

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:40 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:35 am
Michael Farthing wrote:
Do you have a link? I couldn't find them in latest news, council papers or ECF documents :oops:
Now located: https://www.englishchess.org.uk/ecf-agm ... n-results/

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:04 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:35 am
Michael Farthing wrote:
https://www.englishchess.org.uk/ecf-agm ... n-results/

We'll remember 2021 as the year nothing happened, except Chris Fegan retiring in favour of his alternate.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:26 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:04 pm
We'll remember 2021 as the year nothing happened, except Chris Fegan retiring in favour of his alternate.
:lol: