ECF Finance Council Meeting 23 April 2022

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Reyes

Re: ECF Finance Council Meeting 23 April 2022

Post by John Reyes » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:48 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:01 pm
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:19 am
The Gold membership "consultation" arrived yesterday, two days before the meeting so leaving a very narrow window for anybody wishing to send views to do so. It contained the statement that directors acting as membership representatives had an "insight", suggesting they will oppose the motion.
It also said that most agenda items "are a give" (sic). It left me wondering whether the Gold representatives think that the content of their e-mail, and the timing of it, would satisfy their obligations under item 15 of the agenda were that to apply now.
With the Silver members we only had two answers and one was me!
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:50 pm

Agenda items for ECF Finance Council meeting, April 23, 2022

The Agenda can be viewed here - https://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-cont ... Agenda.pdf

Item 8 Membership Fees
We support the Board’s proposals for membership fees for 2022-23, which include a fee freeze for all categories except the FIDE-rated Pay to Play fee, which rises from £11 to £12.

Item 14 Casual Vacancies for Direct Member Representatives
We support the principle of bye-elections for Direct Member Representatives if someone steps down between elections. To promote plain speaking, we propose amending the resolution by removing the obscure Latin term ‘mutatis mutandis’ and replacing it with the easier-to-understand English phrase, ‘the necessary changes having been made.’

Item 15 Duties of Direct Members’ Representatives
We support the current practice of Direct Members’ representatives consulting the membership on issues arising at and from ECF meetings.
To this end, we propose that the ECF Office sends out an email to members from Direct Member Reps, giving members the opportunity to vote ‘Yes’, ‘No’ or ‘No Opinion’ in a multiple choice questionnaire on a short list of questions. The ECF Office should then collate and publish the numbers of votes received in each membership category.
While the consultative votes would not necessarily be binding on Direct Member Reps, the reps would then be accountable to their members at the next election for the way they voted in ECF meetings.

Item 16 Direct Member Representatives to be in the Class they represent
We support the principle of Direct Member Representatives being members in that category (unless no volunteers from that category stand for those posts, in which case other category members should be allowed to stand).
In accordance with this resolution, as a current Gold ECF member Tim Wall is happy to step down as a Silver Direct Members representative at the 2022 election.
Tim Wall adds, “I would also support sensible future initiatives to create a single category of ECF membership, based on the current level of Silver membership fees, giving all members access to ECF services including FIDE rating of games. This could then eventually see all ECF members receive a FIDE rating, and save costs by eliminating the need for a separate ECF rating system.”
John Reyes adds, “I differ from Tim’s point of view on this one issue, in that particularly since the pandemic I believe the ECF should always offer members the chance to play local league chess at an affordable price. I would be in favour of having local leagues FIDE-rated if this is possible at no extra cost.”

Item 17 Board Members not to be Direct Member Representatives
We support this resolution, with a newly elected Director stepping down as a Direct Member Representative immediately after their election as a director. This would support the principle of separation of Executive and Representative functions within the ECF, and enable Direct Member Representatives to properly hold Directors to account.

Item 18 Rolling Membership
We support the principle of allowing rolling membership, as long as the Board’s proposals can be shown to be practical and can be presented in a simplified, understandable form to the membership.

Item 20 Ukraine
We support Resolutions A) and B) on Ukraine.
Resolution A calls on the ECF to request Arkady Dvorkovich’s immediate resignation as FIDE President over his longstanding links to Russian President Vladimir Putin’s regime.
Resolution B urges the ECF Board to offer urgent humanitarian assistance to the Ukrainian people and our colleagues in the Ukrainian Chess Federation.

John Reyes (Silver members’ rep since 2015) Email: [email protected]
Tim Wall (Silver members’ rep since 2020) Email: [email protected]
April 14 2022
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:18 pm

Rolling membership passed 21-6.
The changes limiting Direct Members passed.
Both Ukraine motions passed, albeit the second amended to a "ECF to continue supporting Ukraine" wording

I was on the losing side of most things today, which I will be giving some thought

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:35 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:48 pm
Ian Thompson wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:01 pm
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:19 am
The Gold membership "consultation" arrived yesterday, two days before the meeting so leaving a very narrow window for anybody wishing to send views to do so. It contained the statement that directors acting as membership representatives had an "insight", suggesting they will oppose the motion.
It also said that most agenda items "are a give" (sic). It left me wondering whether the Gold representatives think that the content of their e-mail, and the timing of it, would satisfy their obligations under item 15 of the agenda were that to apply now.
With the Silver members we only had two answers and one was me!
Erm... Is that my response?
HDCA President