World Youth Trials 2010

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Carol Williams

Re: World Youth Trials 2010

Post by Carol Williams » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:34 pm

Peter Williams is the 2nd Under 14 player in the country, FIDE Grade 2102 and he wasn't invited.
Perhaps some people don't fulfil the "Invitation" criteria - if only they knew what it was

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:44 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:There were no U12 or U10 girls taking part.
Are you sure? I was told today by a good source (her father) that Katherine Shepherd came second in her U12 section.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:33 am

Neill,
I am not au fait with all the leading juniors. Katherine Shepherd was playing in the U14 Girls section, so naturally I assumed that she was U14. If she is U12 then I do not know what that means in terms of selection. Whether you agree with selection tournaments or not, I think it is of concern that there doesn't seem to sufficient players to hold an U10 and U12 Girls event.

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:10 am

LozCooper wrote:I believe Sheila Dines, Astghik Stepanyan, Maria & Anna Wang qualified along with Yang-Fan Zhou and Felix Ynojosa. Not sure about the other sections though.
Anna Wang does not appear on the xcharts for the trials. Did she play?

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:53 am

Carol Williams wrote:Peter Williams is the 2nd Under 14 player in the country, FIDE Grade 2102 and he wasn't invited.
Perhaps some people don't fulfil the "Invitation" criteria - if only they knew what it was
The Junior Selection Policy may be found at http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id=353.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:44 am

Carol Williams wrote:Peter Williams is the 2nd Under 14 player in the country, FIDE Grade 2102 and he wasn't invited.
Peter's lack of an invitation is certainly puzzling to me. Have you asked why he wasn't invited? Loz - any ideas?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:52 am

"The members of the ECF junior “selection” committee are: Victor Cross, Andrew Martin, Peter Purland and Harriet Hunt."

I don't mean to be rude, but who is Victor Cross? I cannot find him on the ECF grading website, even as inactive. Presumably he must be a coach of some sort?

In any case, presumably out of those four people, one of them were responsible for sending out invitations.

This sort of error is exactly why this should be Open. Just limit it to people who are members of the ECF (they'll have to be a member to play in the World tournaments they'll qualify for anyway). That way you avoid opening the floodgates to all and sundry, which would be undesirable, and this sort of error can be avoided. It might even persuade a few more people to become members, which would generate income for the ECF.

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:46 am

Neill Katherine is U12 "domestically" but U14 internationally due to the different age dates, so it was in the U14's

Peter Anna didn't play in the trial - I believe that there were no invitations in the U12 and U10 girls but could be wrong. It may be possible that there were invites and I guess if the only one to accept was Anna then she would have the place, it could also be that under whatever criteria is used she is the only one that qualified for the trials so she has the place or indeed that she doesn't have the place or that she has it for some other reason.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:01 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Peter's lack of an invitation is certainly puzzling to me. Have you asked why he wasn't invited? Loz - any ideas?
Sorry, I'm not part of the selection process so I can't help. All I can suggest is that anyone who has questions that don't get an answer on the forum contact the Director involved. That's what I would also suggest if anyone has any questions on International Chess. I'll try and be as open as I can although there will be times where certain items have to remain confidential.

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:02 am

Victor Cross is the England Schools team manger, present in the hall at most of the major junior events, actively involved in junior chess and works very hard at it.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:04 am

David Shepherd wrote:Victor Cross is the England Schools team manger, present in the hall at most of the major junior events, actively involved in junior chess and works very hard at it.
Fair enough!

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:55 am

Ian Kingston wrote:
The Junior Selection Policy may be found at http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id=353.
Basically, Peter Williams seems to have been disadvantaged because he chose to score a brilliant result in the Hastings Masters rather than compete in the simultaneously played much weaker London junior which is one of the officially favoured events. Of course Hastings is far more relevant to the very strong opposition our players will face in the World Youth.

As regards the U18s, Callum Kilpatrick appears to be still eligible and is far higher graded than the players in the qualifying tournament.

While selection continues as a flawed process, our results will continue to suffer accordingly.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:02 am

Callum Kilpatrick chose not to compete at the trial. I imagine that he felt his schoolwork was more important. I respect him for that decision, but if he is unable to play a weekend, is he really going to be able to play a two week long event?
I do not know what happened with Peter William's invite, but somebody needs to take it up with the Junior Director. To be honest, information about the junior selection process has been on the ECF for a long time, so it is perhaps a little bit silly to wait until after the trial to raise the subject of Peter's 'non-invite'.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:08 am

Matthew Turner wrote:Callum Kilpatrick chose not to compete at the trial. I imagine that he felt his schoolwork was more important. I respect him for that decision, but if he is unable to play a weekend, is he really going to be able to play a two week long event?
I do not know what happened with Peter William's invite, but somebody needs to take it up with the Junior Director. To be honest, information about the junior selection process has been on the ECF for a long time, so it is perhaps a little bit silly to wait until after the trial to raise the subject of Peter's 'non-invite'.
I don't know Kilpatrick's situation, but it seems to be quite possible that he is working on exams now but will be in his gap year and using it partly to improve his chess by the time of the tournament. That happens with quite a few leading English juniors.

As regards Williams, if the invitee names had been published before the event than I am sure that qualified people would have pointed out any omissions.

The consistent lack of timely published information, bordering on obsessional secrecy, from the BCF junior management is a central problem.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:19 am

I completely agree about the secrecy and quite why the results of the trial haven't appeared on the ECF website just defies logic.
I strongly suspect that Peter Purland bases the invites on the top graded junior lists. For this reason I am really quite surprised if Peter Williams did not receive an invite; Perhaps it got lost in the post, or the dog ate it. Whatever the reason, it seems a shame that it wasn't brought to the Junior Director's attention before the trial.