World Youth Trials 2010

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Leonard Barden

Re: World Youth Trials 2010

Post by Leonard Barden » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:11 am

Slightly off topic, Yang-Fan Zhou needs 1.5/2 against IM Richard Tozer and FM David Eggleston today at Coulsdon to achieve his second IM norm. No other English junior younger than David Howell has an IM norm yet. Good luck to my fellow Whitgiftian!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:48 am

Again off-topic but suppose that you are a family with a talented ?? year old. The objective is that the youngster should be an IM at the time he or she enters university. Time and money are available for this ambition but they are not unlimited.
What is the best route to pursue given that you need experience plus norms and a 2400 rating? Should junior events be mostly ignored and the time (and money) be devoted to the 4NCL and adult international events?

IM at say 19 or 20 is a modest objective by world standards but one that has been achieved by English players in the fairly recent past.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:03 am

Peter Sowray wrote:Instead of limiting the number of players competing in World and European events, we should be encouraging ALL our talented juniors to take part.
Absolutely. If players want to play and parents are happy to play, why should the English Chess Prevention Federation be allowed to get in the way?

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:13 am

Amen to that. No doubt the counter-argument from the ECF will be on its way toute suite.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:39 am

Mike Truran wrote:Amen to that. No doubt the counter-argument from the ECF will be on its way toute suite.
Maybe it will, Mike, but not from me this time.

However, I have a question for you and Peter S. During the period when you were ECF Directors, did the policy which you favour operate under Claire?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:54 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
However, I have a question for you and Peter S. During the period when you were ECF Directors, did the policy which you favour operate under Claire?
Richard Hadrell's archive is now over ten years old.

Some views from the last century are here http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/9900/let.htm

Like game fee, roles of match captains, unable to win claims, adjudications and adjournments, this one (junior selection policy) seems to run and run.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:55 am

Leonard Barden wrote:Slightly off topic, Yang-Fan Zhou needs 1.5/2 against IM Richard Tozer and FM David Eggleston today at Coulsdon to achieve his second IM norm. No other English junior younger than David Howell has an IM norm yet.
Leonard Barden wrote:Good luck to my fellow Whitgiftian!
And the same from me.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:28 pm

"Chess parents and administrators might want to read what Magnus Carlsen has to say about his own career. He identifies the fact that he had suitable playing opportunities from a young age as the key contributing factor in his success. In the space of little over a year (2002/03) he played in two World and two European Junior championships, after which he went on to play in adult competitions. I don't know, but I very much doubt whether the Norwegian Federation was making him waste his time qualifying..."

It helped too that Hans Olav Lahlum enthusiastically arranged tournaments at Gausdal and he has always been eager to give juniors the opportunity to play in challenging tournaments. Magnus benefited from this and has responded by playing in them even when he had a massive rating and could have made loads of money elsewhere. So he has certainly shown his gratitude! There seem to be an enormous number of talented juniors there, and of course Simen Agdestein's chess school helps....
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Peter Sowray

Post by Peter Sowray » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:31 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Mike Truran wrote:Amen to that. No doubt the counter-argument from the ECF will be on its way toute suite.
Maybe it will, Mike, but not from me this time.

David,

Good question. The answer is not entirely, but the policy was not nearly as restrictive as it is at the moment. There was a Junior Selection Committee in place (as I remember almost entirely strong players) who chose representatives for the World and European Juniors in all age groups. The selection was based on results in all types of tournaments (i.e. good results in adult events were taken into consideration) and on the quality of the games played. The selectors were also open to requests where there was more than one deserving player in a particular age category. But with hindsight there was not enough emphasis on 'talent spotting'.

Peter

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:46 pm

Im with Peter Sowray here.

When I won UKCC U18 i was on form of my life, I asked BCF(ecf) to enter me in to worlds(U18 or 20) and I would pay my own costs as I own a house etc this was no problem for me. I was declined. To this day I keep the emails and frankly hate the ECF , hate is the only word i can use here which would not be moderated.

Every junior should have the chance if not a beginner effectively. Or maybe have some very low bar you have to jump like scoring 50% in any open anywhere in UK if U18, Major U16 , etc etc or something of the such.

Frankly, the ECF junior system has gone on a downhill plummet since Peter Turner left as Junior director. He was more pro chance, when I was U13 , I believe he was just about to become director(citation needed) and he told my mum that he wanted to encourage state school kids(like myself) to play more chess( at west of england). I think his logic was that his son was not a late late bloomer but am i correct in thinking matthew boomed in his late teens?

You don't here of things like this anymore, the junior system has turned in to a near shambles now.

Even Stevie Wonder could see that.

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:48 pm

Nice rant based on a sample size of 1 there, Ben
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:52 pm

You keep saying this to me, ill continue to ignore.
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:02 pm

What would be wrong with having a trial (as now), where the winner gets funding towards their participation, and anyone else who wants to play can, but in the knowledge that they'd have to pay their own way to take part? In effect, you'd be making it open entry, but the winner of the trial would have their expenses (at least partially) covered.

Peter Sowray

Post by Peter Sowray » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:04 pm

Rob Thompson wrote:Nice rant based on a sample size of 1 there, Ben

Rob,

Are you suggesting that it's right to deny talented young people opportunities? If not, what is the point you're trying to make?

Peter

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:38 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:It helped too that Hans Olav Lahlum enthusiastically arranged tournaments at Gausdal and he has always been eager to give juniors the opportunity to play in challenging tournaments. Magnus benefited from this and has responded by playing in them even when he had a massive rating and could have made loads of money elsewhere. So he has certainly shown his gratitude!
And let's not forget the late Arnie Eikram. He would have been delighted with Magnus Carlsen's achievements.