ECF Membership Reform

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Ian Jamieson

Re: ECF Membership Reform

Post by Ian Jamieson » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:26 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:14 am
It's one of those situations where if we knew the shape of the demand curve for ECF membership, we would know a lot more than we do now. But finding it out is tricky.
I know it wouldn’t be perfect but if the ECF Board can survey the opinion of the membership on membership options then it could survey the membership on how much they would like to play, how much they would be prepared to pay etc.

I can only assume the main reason the Board doesn’t do it is because the answers may not support some of the Board’s policies.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:37 am

Ian Jamieson wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:26 am
I know it wouldn’t be perfect but if the ECF Board can survey the opinion of the membership on membership options then it could survey the membership on how much they would like to play, how much they would be prepared to pay etc.
The trouble is that you really need to find and poll the elusive group who are not members now because they are put off by the cost but would be willing to pay a lesser amount. How are you going to do that?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Ian Jamieson

Post by Ian Jamieson » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:39 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:37 am
Ian Jamieson wrote:
The trouble is that you really need to find and poll the elusive group who are not members now because they are put off by the cost but would be willing to pay a lesser amount. How are you going to do that?
Are there that many of them?

Edit

I suspect as many if not more object on principle than cost.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:05 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:11 am
The calculations in support of that claim will make interesting reading.
There's a claim that all members make the same implicit charge on the ECF Office. I find that a very difficult premise to accept unless it's the case that the only charge is the cost of collected the membership fee in the first place. For example the Office gives support to the British and English Championships and other events run as ECF branded. Shouldn't the participants defray the costs of doing this, or at least those likely to participate?

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:22 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:05 pm
For example the Office gives support to the British and English Championships and other events run as ECF branded. Shouldn't the participants defray the costs of doing this, or at least those likely to participate?
The Board seems to think so. From the Membership Options paper:

Players who play more will inevitably pay more for their chess – but that extra cost should be through congress entry fees, accommodation/travel costs and the like rather than through differential ECF membership fee levels.

Wherever the money goes, there's no doubt that the entry fees for the British and English Championships are already significantly higher than other events of a similar type that are not British or English championships.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:24 pm

Ian Jamieson wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:39 am
Are there that many of them?
Yes, that is the question.
I suspect as many if not more object on principle than cost.
You may be right about that too.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:02 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:11 am
Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:58 am
I'd understood it was revenue neutral
The calculations in support of that claim will make interesting reading.
The NCCU President has spoken with the ECF Finance Director
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Ian Jamieson

Post by Ian Jamieson » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:16 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:37 am
Ian Jamieson wrote:
Could you run surveys on the leading online chess platforms?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:57 pm

ECF (Ian Thompson) wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:22 pm
Players who play more will inevitably pay more for their chess – but that extra cost should be through congress entry fees, accommodation/travel costs and the like rather than through differential ECF membership fee levels.
It's a reasonable question to ask why the ECF directors believe this. In any event taking a fee for running ECF events or insisting that they make a profit is loading it onto Congress entry fees and the like.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:52 pm

i spoken to the my fellow Silver Rep Gavin Cartwright today and hope to have something out soon after the election nominee are out
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Hok Yin Stephen Chiu

Post by Hok Yin Stephen Chiu » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:36 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:02 pm
Hok Yin Stephen Chiu wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:44 pm
But, if the focus is on removing barriers within chess, then ensuring there is no cost difference between league and congress chess seems to be ideal
Which would only be the case if you also merge Bronze with Gold at the same time.
Apologies for delayed reply. But, my natural instinct is: yes I agree; less convoluted systems are generally better. If there was one membership category (with the usual caveats of first 3 games free, or half price/free membership for first time players), then it, in fact, makes it easier for members, as a collective, to challenge and question whether what they are paying for, is value for money. When there are multiple classes, the different classes spend more time debating the costs and benefits between the different classes, instead of focusing on the big picture.
Ian Jamieson wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:11 pm
I already contribute to Chess Scotland via it’s 100 club — I don’t want to be forced to become an ECF Gold member as well.
To be slightly provocative, if Chess Scotland proposed changing their memberships fees, benefits, or structure, I don't see why I would consider such proposals from the standpoint of, 'well I already contribute to the ECF'.
G. Secretary, https://WarwickChessAlumni.blogspot.com/
Delegate - Leamington
FIDE Arbiter

David Lettington

Post by David Lettington » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:29 am

A lot of people seem to be complaining about the cost of playing a sport that is incredibly cheap to participate in, compared to most other sports.
It costs £25 to take part in my local 10k run. It's £17 just to watch my local non-league football team. It's £11 to go swimming for 90 minutes at the local pool.
Annual membership of a national association for as little as £18 is a bargain, even if you only play a handful of rated games. Club memberships usually work out at a couple of pounds per week (or less). Congress entry fees are usually around £25 per day, which is very cheap for a day's participation in any kind of event.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:35 am

David Lettington wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:29 am
It costs £25 to take part in my local 10k run.
Why?

David Lettington

Post by David Lettington » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:29 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:35 am
David Lettington wrote:
Why?
I've no idea. Costs of stewarding?

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:26 pm

David Lettington wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:29 am
NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:35 am
David Lettington wrote:
Why?
I've no idea. Costs of stewarding?
Fell races are much better value for money, as well as being more fun!