Report: ECF Board meeting @ Hinckley Island 16th January

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Paul McKeown

Re: Report: ECF Board meeting @ Hinckley Island 16th January

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:02 pm

Ben Purton wrote:Better Prizes/Entry fee ration, Cheaper accomdation, Better looking women, Cheap good beer. Better food.

The list is endless to why Czech Open > British
Canterbury is a nice town and the ancient and attractive Medway ports with their good, locally produced beers, ciders and perries are close by. I understand why you say that tournaments in Mitteleuropa(1) are more attractive than those in the UK - I've played in a number myself - but you really shouldn't attempt to undermine the organisers of the British in this way. A bit of support would undoubtedly go a long way.

(1) Although I also have memories such as searching in vain for an unfouled (sauber if you prefer) toilet, in the midst of hundreds of thundering bowels, weakened by the stresses of playing chess, whilst the cleaners have "bogged off" for the weekend.

Regards,
Paul McKeown
FIDE Arbiter, FIDE Instructor
Richmond Junior Chess Club
Fulham Junior Chess Club
ECF Games Played Abroad Administrator

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:you really shouldn't attempt to undermine the organisers of the British in this way.
For me, he raises a good point though.

From a holiday point of view, the Czech Republic wins over Canterbury every time. Sure Canterbury is nice, but it isn't overseas. In the same way that London's a brilliant city, but you you wouldn't go there on holiday if you could go to Paris or Rome instead. Furthermore, he'll get to play against new people. When that alternative is cheaper as well, then as good a location as Canterbury is, it doesn't really stand a chance.

Judging by some of his posts here, I don't think the added family attractions of a quiz and a game of cricket are something Ben looks for in a holiday, and nor would the vast majority of people his age.

All of which makes me worry for the future of the British Championship.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Considering the current criteria then maybe a Butlins, Pontins or even Maplins "resort" would provide a fun-filled two weeks for all the family?

No chance of a sleep in with the 6am Reveille http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Reveille_on_bugle.ogg :lol:
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:00 pm

Some of these posts are a joke, clearly written by people who havent even been to the Czech Open. Pardubice is an unremarkable place, not especially cheap; sure the tournament is strong, but the sports hall where the event is played is very average and the hotels are just about OK. Canterbury is a much nicer town.

If the event was in Prague or Bratislava then it would be different. I guess when you are going with your mates it doesnt matter where you end up, but let's not get the wrong impression.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:06 pm

andrew martin wrote:Some of these posts are a joke, clearly written by people who havent even been to the Czech Open. Pardubice is an unremarkable place, not especially cheap; sure the tournament is strong, but the sports hall where the event is played is very average and the hotels are just about OK. Canterbury is a much nicer town.
Agreed. I would say the playing hall, the hotel Labe (where I stayed) and the local restaurants are mediocre at best. If you want to play abroad at that time of year I would recommend Biel, although its not the cheapest place to go.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:11 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
andrew martin wrote:Some of these posts are a joke, clearly written by people who havent even been to the Czech Open. Pardubice is an unremarkable place, not especially cheap; sure the tournament is strong, but the sports hall where the event is played is very average and the hotels are just about OK. Canterbury is a much nicer town.
Agreed. I would say the playing hall, the hotel Labe (where I stayed) and the local restaurants are mediocre at best. If you want to play abroad at that time of year I would recommend Biel, although its not the cheapest place to go.
I have played in many overseas tournaments, and they all have much to recommend them. None of them are the British Championships, however!

Seriously - what events would you like to see at the next British? I would like a series of evening Blitz tournaments with a Grand Prix - we ran something like that at the London Classic, and it drew 50 players over the weekend.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:21 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:Seriously - what events would you like to see at the next British? I would like a series of evening Blitz tournaments with a Grand Prix - we ran something like that at the London Classic, and it drew 50 players over the weekend.
I would like to see better web coverage - last years was a bit of an "after thought" to be honest, you could include video and or webcams as well as possible streamed commentary

All of this might be possible with the better resources that could be supplied by the venue?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:32 pm

I agree with Carl. Since I'm unlikely to ever play in it, and follow it online, the option to watch more games, reliably, from both the morning and afternoon sessions, would be an improvement on 2009.

Maybe even stream the commentary room, so you could listen to the commentary while watching the games.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:37 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:I agree with Carl. Since I'm unlikely to ever play in it, and follow it online, the option to watch more games, reliably, from both the morning and afternoon sessions, would be an improvement on 2009.
To be fair all the coverage last year was 3G from the venue so you were lucky you got what you got :oops:

The ECF would not pay the wireless costs - hopefully the Kent bandwidth will be free????
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:57 pm

Hmmmm...

So today I'm sitting in a thread which tells me a potential sponsor
was put off by negative remark made in this very forum.

In the very same thread I'm reading we have to forget all about Canterbury's
kind offer to host and entertain chess players at the British Championship.

Let's be off to some place that I cannot spell in Czechals..Czecks...(cannot spell that either)

I hope the people of Canterbury are not reading this.

(OOPS this was Ben again....Ah well....shrug......Publish and be flamed) :wink:

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:27 pm

Martin Regan wrote:Hope that settles things. :roll:
It doesn't as clearly the recent meeting (as Andrew has suggested...) are still discussing the same rumour :roll:

I am not sure of the source that you are suggesting though...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Michele Clack

Post by Michele Clack » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:04 pm

I think Ben might be making a mistake going to the Czech Open rather than the British. There is already a website up for 2010 and they have a link to the Accommodation Website for the University. The bookings have just opened. I notice that early birds will be able to book single ensuite rooms in 6 bedroomed flats for £22.50 per night or £135 to book all 6 rooms presumably giving you your own kitchen and living room as well. Sounds like a bargain to me and would have been ideal for a group of young people together. You could save money having takeaways and analyse your games in comfort together. Is it really any cheaper in Czechoslovakia?

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:17 pm

So now it's rumour...good.

Hmmmm....

If a potentilal sponsor heard a rumour that there is a rumour going around.

Rumour has it they will not sponsor Chess.

Vote we set up a 'ghost forum' fill it full of nice postive statements.

We can guide rumoured potential sponsors to that.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:47 pm

michele clack wrote:I think Ben might be making a mistake going to the Czech Open rather than the British. There is already a website up for 2010 and they have a link to the Accommodation Website for the University. The bookings have just opened. I notice that early birds will be able to book single ensuite rooms in 6 bedroomed flats for £22.50 per night or £135 to book all 6 rooms presumably giving you your own kitchen and living room as well. Sounds like a bargain to me and would have been ideal for a group of young people together. You could save money having takeaways and analyse your games in comfort together. Is it really any cheaper in Czechoslovakia?
I doubt it, Czechoslovakia doesn't exist anymore. :)

Are those the rates for student accommodation, or hotel accommodation? If the former, you'd have to worry about things like buying/making your own food for the fortnight. Much less convenient than a hotel. Still excellent value though.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:30 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote: I am not sure of the source that you are suggesting though...
I assume that you are joking there Carl. The implication seems pretty obvious!