County Championship Quarter Finals

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Sean Hewitt

County Championship Quarter Finals

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat May 22, 2010 9:09 am

So, which forumites are playing this fine day?

I shall be making the journey from Manchester to Worcestershire to play for Leicestershire against Gloucestershire.

John Moore

Re: County Championship Quarter Finals

Post by John Moore » Sat May 22, 2010 9:24 am

I am off to Syston to play for Essex against Yorkshire in the under 180 event.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sat May 22, 2010 9:50 am

Most of Nottinghamshire is travelling to most of the country. The logistical nightmare of having 4 away matches on the same day and finding 60 players has been horrendous. I'll make some further comments when I get back from wherever it is I'm going!

Richard Thursby

Post by Richard Thursby » Sat May 22, 2010 11:35 am

I won't be playing anywhere since the match was cancelled due to the opposition being unable to raise a team.

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Sat May 22, 2010 11:41 am

There are three matches at the Open university in Milton Keynes. Bedfordshire is always popular at this time of year, even if we re-write the borders with Bucks (even down South this sort of thing goes on). Our match will be our first "home" match, since all the qualifiers were at Newmarket in Suffolk.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat May 22, 2010 11:54 am

Richard Thursby wrote:I won't be playing anywhere since the match was cancelled due to the opposition being unable to raise a team.
Neither will I, due to being a member of the opposition team (who would have played).

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sat May 22, 2010 12:34 pm

Always disappointing when you get a Qtr Final tie cancelled in this way.
Which teams are involved here?
I know that one of the issues that plagues counties is travel, depending on who you`re drawn against..
Interesting to hear Neil Graham talking about Notts problems with multiple fixture clashes, ie too many matches on the same day. Maybe they could have spread them slightly, over two weekends.
The price of `success`....
For those of us who are not involved, we can accept the consolation of a day in the sunshine, or such like...tending the garden.
I note that last year Yorks had teams in practically all the Finals, and managed to achieve very good results.
Size is important, as is good organisation and support from players/clubs.
Maybe Notts should consider merging with Lincolnshire and Derbyshire to create there own `Super County` to compete with the big boys..? Perhaps they should call it NottyAshLincs....
BRING BACK THE BCF

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat May 22, 2010 6:55 pm

Glos 5.5 - 10.5 Leics

Cambs or Herts in the semis apparently.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sat May 22, 2010 8:15 pm

To my great surprise Staffordshire beat the holders Yorkshire 8.5-7.5. :shock: Obviously the loud music we had to put up with during the games was more distracting to the Yorkshire team than Staffs. At least we could analyse in total peace outside :oops:

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat May 22, 2010 8:25 pm

David Pardoe wrote:Always disappointing when you get a Qtr Final tie cancelled in this way.
Presumably Middlesex v Hampshire in the Minor Counties.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat May 22, 2010 8:36 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
David Pardoe wrote:Always disappointing when you get a Qtr Final tie cancelled in this way.
Presumably Middlesex v Hampshire in the Minor Counties.
That's a particularly disappointing match default. Compared to some of the matches, that's practically next door...

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat May 22, 2010 9:08 pm

Well, I heard that Kent defaulted to Lancashire - an appalling event for a team which has won so much in the past, and during which time has had two excellent captains (Chris Howell and Chris Rice).

So in fact there seem to be defaults all over the place, even at this late stage in the competition. Not to mention problems with reporting results: Sean, I saw Herts beat Cambridge almost two weeks ago!

Loz - well, you seem to have proven your captaincy skills yet again! - what were the scores and stories on the top boards?

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Sat May 22, 2010 9:33 pm

I was supposed to play but pulled out at the last min due to family issues and was helping ringing around for a replacement. I hope the Essex U160's and U180's have done well.

Pat Bennett

Post by Pat Bennett » Sat May 22, 2010 9:48 pm

LozCooper wrote:To my great surprise Staffordshire beat the holders Yorkshire 8.5-7.5. :shock: Obviously the loud music we had to put up with during the games was more distracting to the Yorkshire team than Staffs. At least we could analyse in total peace outside :oops:
It was the Stones wot done it!

My era ...

Pat

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sat May 22, 2010 10:31 pm

U-180 Bedfordshire 7.5 Nottinghamshire 8.5
U-160 Suffolk 9 Nottinghamshire 7
U-140 Surrey 7.5 Nottinghamshire 8.5
U-120 Yorkshire 7 Nottinghamshire 5