Chief Executive Officer, 2010 - onwards?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
LozCooper

Re: Chief Executive Officer, 2010 - onwards?

Post by LozCooper » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:32 pm

Andrew Farthing wrote: I wasn't at the Board meeting either, but I can confirm that after considerable reflection I have decided to stand for Chief Executive.
Excellent news. I have already confirmed to the board that I will stand for re-election as International Director.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:14 pm

Andrew Farthing wrote: I wasn't at the Board meeting either, but I can confirm that after considerable reflection I have decided to stand for Chief Executive.
Great news. You'll have my votes, although I suspect there may not be a ballot :D

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:08 pm

Andrew Farthing has the full support of the Board. I will be standing for Home Chess again and hope that we can continue with the good progress we have made in the last year.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:42 pm

I have, after some reflection, decided to stand for re-election as Chairman of the Governance Committee.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:05 am

John Upham wrote:Assuming that the board meeting took place we should now know who is not standing and therefore for what positions we need to find candidates.

Would anyone like to shed light on this matter?
I've been given to understand that the full list of those who are and are not seeking re-election will be published within the next two weeks.

Meanwhile, I too would like to declare my support for Andrew Farthing and my continuing support for each of Adam Raoof. Lawrence Cooper and John Philpott.

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:07 pm

Andrew Farthing wrote:
John Upham wrote:Assuming that the board meeting took place we should now know who is not standing and therefore for what positions we need to find candidates.

Would anyone like to shed light on this matter?
I wasn't at the Board meeting either, but I can confirm that after considerable reflection I have decided to stand for Chief Executive.
Well done, Andrew. You might as well garner the expressions of gratitude now as there won't be many in the future.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:25 pm

Brendan O'Gorman wrote:
Well done, Andrew. You might as well garner the expressions of gratitude now as there won't be many in the future.
Adam R. has been in post for almost a year and my gratitude for his efforts has increased. On the other hand, poor performance shouldn't remain unoticed.

There is a view that says a volunteer should always be praised regardless of achievements (or not).

My view is that If someone volunteers for a post and wastes that opportunity then they cannot expect immunity from comment : we have seen numerous examples of this in the past. This past year has been much better apart from the CfS project. I''m led to believe that only one person on the current board still holds out hopes for the project to deliver.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:31 pm

Thanks for all the positive reactions (in particular, Brendan's gave me a chuckle).

When I mentioned my decision to a few friends, the responses leaned more towards "You must be mad", so the Forum comments are a welcome boost!

Michele Clack

Post by Michele Clack » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:39 pm

Andrew I don't think there is anyone who thinks you will do anything other than a brilliant job if elected( and even if someone stood against you I'm confident you would win). It is a huge committment and I wish you well. Try not to let your own chess suffer too much!

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:42 pm

John Upham wrote:
Brendan O'Gorman wrote:
Adam R. has been in post for almost a year and my gratitude for his efforts has increased. On the other hand, poor performance shouldn't remain unoticed.

There is a view that says a volunteer should always be praised regardless of achievements (or not).

My view is that If someone volunteers for a post and wastes that opportunity then they cannot expect immunity from comment : we have seen numerous examples of this in the past. This past year has been much better apart from the CfS project. I''m led to believe that only one person on the current board still holds out hopes for the project to deliver.
Can you clarify that your comments about poor performance weren't aimed at Adam? I suspect they weren't but it could certainly be interpreted that way.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:01 pm

LozCooper wrote:
Can you clarify that your comments about poor performance weren't aimed at Adam? I suspect they weren't but it could certainly be interpreted that way.
I can confirm that they were not aimed at anyone in particular and certainly not Adam. I was making a generic point.

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:07 pm

michele clack wrote:Try not to let your own chess suffer too much!
I fear that a lot of people would look at my typical efforts over the chessboard and ask, "How would we tell?" :)

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:19 pm

Andrew Farthing wrote:
michele clack wrote:Try not to let your own chess suffer too much!
I fear that a lot of people would look at my typical efforts over the chessboard and ask, "How would we tell?" :)
Maybe "try not to let your own sanity suffer too much" is more appropriate :oops:

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:06 am

Ernie Lazenby wrote: flax jackets
Will flax really stop a speeding bullet?

This could be where the police have been going wrong : use cotton intead of kevlar : it is cheaper!

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:20 pm

Unless they use radioactive degraded tip heads then Kevlar is stuffed (as found on most street corners). They don't like it, Upham!