British Chess Championships 2011

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
LozCooper

Re: British Chess Championships 2011

Post by LozCooper » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:53 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
LozCooper wrote:Julian has done the commentary at the 2009 & 2010 London Chess Classics in the VIP room with a lot of input from Viktor Korchnoi. Although he's no longer an active player he's still as entertaining as ever. I'm also impressed with the younger generation of commentators, namely Gordon, Trent, Williams etc
The fact that the VIP room commentators at the London Chess Classic get mentioned in the advertising for the event is a bit misleading in my opinion. I very much enjoyed the public commentary by Trent, Gordon, King and Ward, but reports before the event also mentioned Hodgson and Rowson and Korchnoi:

http://www.chess.co.uk/twic/malcolmpein ... ss-classic

However, there is no mention that the commentary by Hodgson and Rowson and Korchnoi would be for the VIP area only. Possibly I was just not there if those three ever did public commentary (I did see Rowson commentating beside one of the lobby area screens at one point, but that was it), but the impression I got was that those paying for the commentary really only got to see Trent, Gordon, King and Ward, and the advertising before the event should have made that clearer. I hope the advertising before the 2011 event will not list all the commentators as if they will all be giving public commentary, and will make clearer what you get in terms of commentators for the money paid.
Rowson didn't commentate in the VIP room, he may have popped in and made a couple of observations but he certainly wasn't in there for any length of time, he was primarily employed doing public commentary and in the lobby. Given that there was practically no security for the VIP room (the first time I had to show a badge was on the last day) the room was effectively not limited to VIPs anyway.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:56 pm

LozCooper wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
LozCooper wrote:Julian has done the commentary at the 2009 & 2010 London Chess Classics in the VIP room with a lot of input from Viktor Korchnoi. Although he's no longer an active player he's still as entertaining as ever. I'm also impressed with the younger generation of commentators, namely Gordon, Trent, Williams etc
The fact that the VIP room commentators at the London Chess Classic get mentioned in the advertising for the event is a bit misleading in my opinion. I very much enjoyed the public commentary by Trent, Gordon, King and Ward, but reports before the event also mentioned Hodgson and Rowson and Korchnoi:

However, there is no mention that the commentary by Hodgson and Rowson and Korchnoi would be for the VIP area only. Possibly I was just not there if those three ever did public commentary (I did see Rowson commentating beside one of the lobby area screens at one point, but that was it), but the impression I got was that those paying for the commentary really only got to see Trent, Gordon, King and Ward, and the advertising before the event should have made that clearer. I hope the advertising before the 2011 event will not list all the commentators as if they will all be giving public commentary, and will make clearer what you get in terms of commentators for the money paid.
Rowson didn't commentate in the VIP room, he may have popped in and made a couple of observations but he certainly wasn't in there for any length of time, he was primarily employed doing public commentary and in the lobby. Given that there was practically no security for the VIP room (the first time I had to show a badge was on the last day) the room was effectively not limited to VIPs anyway.
There is security.

Julian Hodgson did the foyer from time to time, Rowson did the weekend everywhere and Viktor made a star turn.

This year each player will be doing a day as well
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:01 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
LozCooper wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: The fact that the VIP room commentators at the London Chess Classic get mentioned in the advertising for the event is a bit misleading in my opinion. I very much enjoyed the public commentary by Trent, Gordon, King and Ward, but reports before the event also mentioned Hodgson and Rowson and Korchnoi:

There is security.

Julian Hodgson did the foyer from time to time, Rowson did the weekend everywhere and Viktor made a star turn.

This year each player will be doing a day as well
The security weren't doing their job was the point I was making. They were either playing chess against each other or chatting. That is how so many people were able to go in and out of the room without being asked to show a badge. Admittedly, several girls went in and out with the badge of one of the classic players, but that hardly implies security was tight :roll:

James Byrne

Post by James Byrne » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:17 pm

Last edited by James Byrne on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:06 pm

The British web site and it's coverage is only as good as the publicity and marketing that goes around it...

Nice to have all these players and good commentators but if nobody is actually "watching" is there a point?

I have raised this but most year it just happens and more needs to be made of this :!:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

David Brock

Post by David Brock » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:32 pm

Guys there was a big difference in commentary between the London Chess Classic and the British Championship this year.

Everyone who saw the Commentary at the London Chess Classic said it was the best they had seen and that it set the standard for all future chess events. It was informative, interesting, clear and funny at times.

While on the other hand the Commentary at the British Championship was poor due to the fact it sounded like it was relayed from a Gold Fish Bowl, it was not clear, and technically it was inferior.

Now this is no reflection at all on Andrew Martin who did what he could with the setting and the equipment. In fact if you put him in the London Chess Classic I am sure he would have been equally as good.

So I think that the BC needs to learn from this and improve for next year and only then will they get the viewers they deserve and the rewards that go with it.

The only thing I would say on the commentators themselves is that I think the Chess World has now found their own "Morecambe and Wise" in "Trent and Gordon". They may not be the most authoritive at times on some of the theory but they are very entertaining and alone worth the admission price. So please invite them to do more commentary around the congress circuit.

By the way Lawrence please pay the usual account haha and you should do more podcasts. Why not do some on the english IM's and GMS who are up and coming and the congress circuit events in this country. As the UK is crying out for more reporting on its own weekend congresses. :D
Think,check and then Move !!

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:33 pm

James Byrne wrote:What I found most dissapointing about the last London Chess Classic was throughout the week it was bigged up that Kasparov would be doing some commentary on the final day, and when it came he didn't. No explanation was given either which was also dissapointing.
It was bigged up on the day as well. I felt sorry for the commentators who had promised the audience something that didn't materialize. I don't know if anything was ever said to the audience or not. Possibly Kasparov did some VIP room commentary? Or maybe CNN took up all his time? Anyway, I appreciated being able to see him in the lobby, when he was signing books, but as you say, there is sometimes a slip between what is promised and what materializes. I'm waiting eagerly to see what players they get this year! If Kasparov (not Sergey!) plays, then all is forgiven (I know he has retired!).

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:06 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:There is security.
!

Reading that I imagined you standing then in a tux, arms folded with a stern "you're not coming in here if you're not on the list" look on your face.

For the record, I saw Korchnoi in the public commentary room last year (though admittedly not for very long). I also saw Rowson - I think last year and 2009 - in the public commentary room too.

I think maybe I got lucky. Luckier than Chris anyway.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:42 am

How could people forget Bill Hartston was a commentator for many years? Leonard Barden also did the first Master Games.

One thing new for the Commentary at the British. Participants could be asked to come and join in after they finish their games. Nigel Short is playing and will set a good example to others if the LCC and Gibraltar are anything to go by. That would take some organisation to make it happen.

Stewart Reuben

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:45 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote:Reading that I imagined you standing then in a tux, arms folded with a stern "you're not coming in here if you're not on the list" look on your face.
This is second hand so may lack reliability (4NCL gossip)

In the same way that vacuum cleaners are referred to as Hoovers, Roman emperors were referred to as the Caesar or the Augustus. By analogy the press room chief at a British chess event should be referred to as the Schiller. This is alleged not to have gone down too well with the incumbent press chief at the London Classic.

cjdemooi

Post by cjdemooi » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:02 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:One thing new for the Commentary at the British. Participants could be asked to come and join in after they finish their games. Nigel Short is playing and will set a good example to others if the LCC and Gibraltar are anything to go by. That would take some organisation to make it happen.
Stewart Reuben
A very good idea Stewart which I'll certainly 'suggest' to my merry band of players ;-)

cjdemooi

Post by cjdemooi » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:24 pm

Some disappointing but not unexpected news I'm afraid -
Luke McShane will be unable to play in the tournament due to work commitments. A great pity (I would have liked to have the top half dozen playing) but thanks and respect to Luke for trying to arrange matters differently. I'm already trying to tie him down for 2013 though!

cjdemooi

Post by cjdemooi » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:26 pm

I'm off for a few days but if any other GMs are intending to play, please let me know asap! [email protected]

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:20 pm

The problem for a player like me playing British is the pure cost of the event. Entry is 225 , Accom is around 30 a night if well organized, still 350 total, 500 if you get unfortunate. Food, drinks , Travel. Make the tournament 1000 pounds just to play.

I could stay in 4* hotel for some European tournaments etc. For that...
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

cjdemooi

Post by cjdemooi » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:30 am

I've just visited the Pond's Forge venue and was very impressed. Lots of room, facilities and any player can have reduced fee access to the fitness suite.
If you have any enquiries please contact the ECF office or Ian Hamilton at the venue who very kindly showed me round.
Should be a good event (despite Ben's qualification...)