Right Move to close

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
andrew martin

Re: Right Move to close

Post by andrew martin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:18 am

It's more inappropriate to reveal what Bob Long and I were earning to produce the Right Move, that's for sure.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:24 am

Adam Raoof wrote: Not all DMs have access to the internet. It's not printed any more, just distributed electronically and if a DM requests it they can have a print copy instead.
I believe that for the month of June, 2010 a total of fifty hard copies of ChessMoves were printed in the office and posted out to those who requested them.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:59 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:
andrew martin wrote:Ok, why is that shocking?
Seems a lot to me for an on-line PDF distribution?
I agree, in the current financial climate it was an incredible amount of money to spend on a magazine. There's nothing to stop the content being regularly updated on the ECF coaching website http://www.ecfcoaching.org.uk/ That way it will be seen quicker and will cut out all the costs of producing the magazine. People will know where to find the information and can regularly refer to it without waiting for the next monthly issue. I also found that it was very difficult to read the magazine online without printing off which wouldn't be the case on a regularly updated website.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:03 pm

Tis a shame about this, I’ve only just started getting the mag emailed to me as well, had some interesting content.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:30 pm

Jon Mahony wrote:Tis a shame about this, I’ve only just started getting the mag emailed to me as well, had some interesting content.
I can provide all the back issues to March 2007 if you wish?

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:51 pm

Hi All

Like I've said before this is a real shame, but I've noticed as chess players we are very Black or White about how things are run. Would an approach more along the lines of "how do we get that cash to pay for this great little mag" rather than just cutting it off dead be a better way of handling it.

Before you start I know I harp on about funding but this is a good example, here is a link to mediabox, a funding body set up to supply cash for media projects (especially who that benefit kids like the ones I'm coaching, Which it does) http://www.media-box.co.uk/funding/who-can-apply so if a funding form was filled out and an amount of £10k was asked for I would help with the wording needed and help with the reports and case studies needed I think it could easily be carried on and even made better. I know some change in direction may be needed but I'll gladly give any advice needed.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:57 pm

If I may put on my proessional hat for a moment: a few years ago I typeset a quarterly magazine of similar length and complexity to The Right Move for about £250 per issue. Note that this was only for typesetting (no editorial input), and that chess typesetting is a little trickier than handling mere text and photographs. I doubt that the ECF was overpaying - in fact, I think it got a pretty good deal if it was paying £420 per issue for both typesetting and editorial work.

The question is not whether the ECF was paying too much for The Right Move, but whether it can afford it at all.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:01 pm

Ian Kingston wrote:The question is not whether the ECF was paying too much for The Right Move, but whether it can afford it at all.
That was the entire point. I am sure the costs could not be significantly cut by going to another typesetter or journalist. But the ECF has to make some tough choices in the next few years, and this one was of the easier ones.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Tornelo - https://tornelo.com/chess/orgs/chess-england
Simon Williams "The Ginger GM" - https://gingergm.com/ref/106.html
Don’t stop playing chess!

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:02 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:Why is it inappropriate? I thought this forum was independent of the ECF (hence http://www.ecforum.org.uk rather than ecfforum.org.uk).
It is, but it is still inappropriate to name and discuss employees at the ECF Office, and we all accept that, no matter what our feelings. That's why this Forum is so great, and continues to be great.
This is the person who's interests do not include chess, but do include "big bras".
http://www.ecforum.org.uk/memberlist.ph ... ile&u=5994
I added a long string in the interests section of my profile to make sure it hadn't just been truncated (e.g. "big brass bands"), but no, "big bras" seems to be deliberate.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:10 pm

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote: This is the person who's interests do not include chess, but do include "big bras".
I believe AW (like myself) has a keen interest in all things quantum mechanical.

Clearly, he is referring to the well-known bra-ket notation used for the labelling and description of quantum states.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bra-ket_notation

When I attended the Enrico Fermi Summer School for Theoretical Physics in 1989 (Lake Como) we often spent the evenings in a road side bar discussing big bras (and kets) until the small hours.

Michele Clack

Post by Michele Clack » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:40 pm

It is sad that the ECF is in such financial straits that this magazine has had to close. Thanks to Andrew Martin for all his efforts. I hope he soon finds something to fill the gap.

I've had an idea. Junior chess players seem to be a very talented and enterprising bunch. Look at that young man who is about to qualify as an arbiter, possibly before his 15th birthday. To fill the gap a bit and to have something available for new young juniors, why not ask some young people to set up a junior chess blog or even website attached to the ECF website? Alex H could start the ball rolling perhaps with something on BUCA for people about to go up to university. Juniors representing England in international events could put reports on and perhaps a few annotated games etc. Juniors could report on junior events and junior congress successes etc etc. Whatever they felt other juniors would be interested in. Something by juniors for juniors. They could perhaps ask GM's and other strong adult players for interviews and annotated games etc on areas that are of current interest for juniors.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:54 pm

michele clack wrote:Alex H could start the ball rolling perhaps with something on BUCA for people about to go up to university.
I'm afraid I have enough things to do for the immediate future!

The problem is that juniors don't have time for things as they get older, mainly because of educational reasons, but also for social reasons. Tom said that he'd have to scale back his chess interests due to academic commitments over the next few years. He is typical of most people in his situation. Chess dwindles down the priority list. While we continue to have an education system that turns schools into exam factories, this will forever be the case.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:58 pm

michele clack wrote:It is sad that the ECF is in such financial straits that this magazine has had to close. Thanks to Andrew Martin for all his efforts. I hope he soon finds something to fill the gap.

I've had an idea. Junior chess players seem to be a very talented and enterprising bunch. Look at that young man who is about to qualify as an arbiter, possibly before his 15th birthday. To fill the gap a bit and to have something available for new young juniors, why not ask some young people to set up a junior chess blog or even website attached to the ECF website? Alex H could start the ball rolling perhaps with something on BUCA for people about to go up to university. Juniors representing England in international events could put reports on and perhaps a few annotated games etc. Juniors could report on junior events and junior congress successes etc etc. Whatever they felt other juniors would be interested in. Something by juniors for juniors. They could perhaps ask GM's and other strong adult players for interviews and annotated games etc on areas that are of current interest for juniors.
It looks like the current website could do with some fresh input http://www.ecfcoaching.org.uk/ Could the articles that would have been used in The Right Move prior to its closure subsequently be included here or via a link? Then anyone typing ecf coaching into a search engine would find lots of up to date material in addition to the current features.

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:11 pm

I think the final edition will exhaust all the articles I have available.

Ljubica Lazarevic

Post by Ljubica Lazarevic » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:02 am

So it's fortunate that RightMoves will be ending when it does as there is no future material available?

I would be interested in hearing from people who are keen in writing articles aimed at our younger chess players.