Who are the alternates?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Upham

Who are the alternates?

Post by John Upham » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:13 pm

From time to time we hear that someone has been acting as an "alternate" for a democratically (well, by Council if that counts!) elected person.

We know that AF is the alternate for CEM
I believe that David Welch is the alternate for Peter Purland.

Does anyone know the complete alternate line up?
Will they be appearing in Edinburgh in the coming weeks?

Sensible question : Are they all named on the ECF web site?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

David Sedgwick

Re: Who are the alternates?

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:23 pm

John Upham wrote:From time to time we hear that someone has been acting as an "alternate" for a democratically (well, by Council if that counts!) elected person.

No, but you're not the first person to suggest that they should be.

I would consider it perfectly reasonable to ask candidates for the forthcoming election whether they intend to request the appointment of an alternate and, if so, whom they have in mind.

However, if (say) three members of the Board can't attend a particular meeting, I think I'd prefer to see decisions taken by the other seven and by three alternates rather than just by the other seven.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:29 pm

Adam nominated me as his alternate, and in Canterbury the Board voted in favour of it. For some reason, I'm the only one whose details have got as far as the ECF website...

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:34 pm

Strangely enough, only the latest appointment is mentioned on the ECF website; Alex Holowczak is the Alternative Director for Home Chess.

In practice I think the alternate doesn't attend the ECF Board unless the Director is unable to attend, or unless they are invited. However I think it is very useful to have the experience of Andrew Farthing and David Welch and new ideas from Alex on the Board.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:05 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:Strangely enough, only the latest appointment is mentioned on the ECF website; Alex Holowczak is the Alternative Director for Home Chess.
Now I've seen it all. When the webmaster is away on holiday, the ECF manages to announce important information on its website. When he's at his desk as usual, it doesn't.

Is not the correct term "Alternate Director" rather than "Alternative Director"?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:07 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:Is not the correct term "Alternate Director" rather than "Alternative Director"?
I pointed this out to the Office in an e-mail. Probably not their #1 priority at the moment, to be fair.

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:39 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:I would consider it perfectly reasonable to ask candidates for the forthcoming election whether they intend to request the appointment of an alternate and, if so, whom they have in mind.
If I'm elected in October, I would certainly be looking to appoint an alternate, just in case I fall ill, take a holiday or join the Foreign Legion.

I don't have anyone in mind at present. Assuming that I would need to find a replacement for myself as Strategic Planning Officer, the ideal solution might be to find someone willing to do both.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:09 pm

Andrew Farthing wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:I would consider it perfectly reasonable to ask candidates for the forthcoming election whether they intend to request the appointment of an alternate and, if so, whom they have in mind.
If I'm elected in October, I would certainly be looking to appoint an alternate, just in case I fall ill, take a holiday or join the Foreign Legion.

I don't have anyone in mind at present. Assuming that I would need to find a replacement for myself as Strategic Planning Officer, the ideal solution might be to find someone willing to do both.
This isn't the right thread, but would you be willing at some stage to set out what your priorities would be, if elected?

I really do hope and pray that in a year's time I won't still feel the need to make sarcastic comments like the ones I've made above.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:19 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
I really do hope and pray that in a year's time I won't still feel the need to make sarcastic comments like the ones I've made above.
See http://www.sarcasmsociety.com/ as a possible new club to join! :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:30 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:This isn't the right thread, but would you be willing at some stage to set out what your priorities would be, if elected?
Definitely. I'll prepare something for inclusion in the Council papers and post it on the Forum.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:12 am

John Upham wrote:From time to time we hear that someone has been acting as an "alternate" for a democratically (well, by Council if that counts!) elected person.

Sensible question (on behalf of ordinary people everywhere): who is AF and who is CEM? :?

[Yeah, I know who they are, but not everyone does]

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:00 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
John Upham wrote:We know that AF is the alternate for CEM
Sensible question (on behalf of ordinary people everywhere): who is AF and who is CEM? :?

[Yeah, I know who they are, but not everyone does]
"AF": That would be me.

"CEM" is Chris Majer, the current Chief Executive, who is stepping down in October.

JU is clearly just demonstrating one of the ways the ECF President is influencing us all.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:30 pm

I don't have an alternate but maybe I should consider appointing one before I disappear to Siberia :cry:

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:45 am

LozCooper wrote:I don't have an alternate but maybe I should consider appointing one before I disappear to Siberia :cry:
At the time of the 2009 FIDE Congress in Halikidiki, Greece, we'd been told that transport to Khanty Mansisyk would be free.

I spoke to one or two Russians about this. They confirmed my belief that the provision of free transport to Siberia was an old Soviet tradition, but that the provision of free transport from Siberia was not so well established a custom.

Not that I'm trying to alarm you, or anything.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:03 am

David,
I think that might be a joke about the gulags rather than a serious comment on the Olympiad.