Vote for an ECF logo

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

Vote for an ECF logo

Poll ended at Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:01 pm

Option 1 -
10
24%
Option 2 -
4
10%
Option 3 -
27
66%
 
Total votes: 41

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 5728
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: Vote for an ECF logo

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:59 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:The letters ECF in the three largest square boxes, with the letter 'E' starting bottom left may work in option one
If anyone feels like reworking the logo and posting it here, go for it!
This sort of idea, better font's and alignment of course :oops:
knight.jpg
knight.jpg (6.24 KiB) Viewed 822 times
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

User avatar
Adam Raoof
Posts: 2364
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: NW4 4UY
Contact:

Re: Vote for an ECF logo

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:39 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:I keep meaning to send off my money to join the English Chess Fed.
I feel it's a bit cheeky of me to post here and not be a member.
This thread has kicked me into action - the cheque is in the post.

How much are WE being charged for these drawings in option's one and two.
I want to know. Also include how much it will cost to change all the letter
headed paper etc.etc. A logo change is not cheap.

It was this lot, 'Create Services' who designed the logos for the London Classic
and they also do Centrica. So we are not talking about a garage operation here.
These people are big ball players.

Their website:

http://www.createservices.co.uk/

So to know the actual cost involved would be intersting.

They claim there is not enough money in the kitty to keep the junior
magazine going yet they are willing toss my/our membership money away
on this nonsense.

There is nothing at all wrong with the current one. it is good.

You want a new logo?
Contact Disney and ask if you can use Mickey Mouse's head.
That won't be cheap either but it will sum up the thinking behind this idea.


(This post has cost me £20.00) :(
Well done Geoff! Welcome to our happy band. Do me a favour? When you get the ECF membership pack, start a new thread and dissect it, A comparison to the Chess Scotland pack would be welcome, and I know you won't pull any punches.

I can assure you that Create Services are doing this work at a generous price (even a Scot might think so!), and that any logo change that is implemented won't have the enormous knock-on costs that it might have in a larger organisation.

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 8910
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: Vote for an ECF logo

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:44 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:When you get the ECF membership pack, start a new thread and dissect it, A comparison to the Chess Scotland pack would be welcome, and I know you won't pull any punches.
ECF Membership Pack? All I got was a laminated piece of paper with a few bits of information on it. :?

Sean Hewitt

Re: Vote for an ECF logo

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:45 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Adam Raoof wrote:When you get the ECF membership pack, start a new thread and dissect it, A comparison to the Chess Scotland pack would be welcome, and I know you won't pull any punches.
ECF Membership Pack? All I got was a laminated piece of paper with a few bits of information on it. :?
Won't take long to dissect then :D
Adam Raoof wrote: I can assure you that Create Services are doing this work at a generous price (even a Scot might think so!), and that any logo change that is implemented won't have the enormous knock-on costs that it might have in a larger organisation.
But what is the cost (is pounds and pence)? And why the need to spend the money at all?

User avatar
Adam Raoof
Posts: 2364
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: NW4 4UY
Contact:

Re: Vote for an ECF logo

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:53 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Adam Raoof wrote:When you get the ECF membership pack, start a new thread and dissect it, A comparison to the Chess Scotland pack would be welcome, and I know you won't pull any punches.
ECF Membership Pack? All I got was a laminated piece of paper with a few bits of information on it. :?
Won't take long to dissect then :D
Adam Raoof wrote: I can assure you that Create Services are doing this work at a generous price (even a Scot might think so!), and that any logo change that is implemented won't have the enormous knock-on costs that it might have in a larger organisation.
But what is the cost (is pounds and pence)? And why the need to spend the money at all?
Another thread, please! As to cost; guess. Whether the money should be spent at all is a question for the Marketing Director. I think there was a lot of criticism of the old logo, and the offer of a redesign from a top class company was felt to be worth exploring.

Sean Hewitt

Re: Vote for an ECF logo

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:07 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:
But what is the cost (is pounds and pence)? And why the need to spend the money at all?
As to cost; guess.
I'd rather we were just told. It's like dealing with the old board this. We can always ask the question at council instead.
Adam Raoof wrote: I think there was a lot of criticism of the old logo, and the offer of a redesign from a top class company was felt to be worth exploring.
First I've heard of it (which doesn't mean it isn't so of course). What was the nature of this criticism, and who was it from?

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 5728
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: Vote for an ECF logo

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:10 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:Another thread, please! As to cost; guess. Whether the money should be spent at all is a question for the Marketing Director. I think there was a lot of criticism of the old logo, and the offer of a redesign from a top class company was felt to be worth exploring.
42p and the 2p is generous for option two - sorry I cannot believe the ECF paid at all for this nonsense :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

User avatar
Rob Thompson
Posts: 757
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: Behind you

Re: Vote for an ECF logo

Post by Rob Thompson » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:10 pm

Adam Raoof wrote: As to cost; guess.
47 pence

Now i've had a guess, can i be told the actual amount?
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

User avatar
Adam Raoof
Posts: 2364
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: NW4 4UY
Contact:

Re: Vote for an ECF logo

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:I'd rather we were just told. It's like dealing with the old board this. We can always ask the question at council instead.
That's hardly fair. What I mean is, it's a very good price. However I couldn't post it here, as it is genuinely commercially sensitive information. Ask at the AGM.

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 8910
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: Vote for an ECF logo

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:13 pm

Maybe the ECF could hold a competition to design a new logo? I imagine that sort of thing might be quite popular with juniors (if it's well-enough publicised). You can assemble a Committee to pick the best one, or maybe a presentation at Council. You might get some good ones, and you wouldn't have to pay anything - the prize would be to have your logo used as the ECF's new logo. Just get a company to professionalise it a bit.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 18102
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Vote for an ECF logo

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:37 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:I think there was a lot of criticism of the old logo,
The ECF logo is in essence the old BCF one with new words which goes back to at least 1983 if not earlier.
The problem with using a single knight is knowing which way it should face. Facing left on the left hand side of the page looks wrong if you prefer your Knights to face the centre.

Sean Hewitt

Re: Vote for an ECF logo

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:39 pm

Adam Raoof wrote: That's hardly fair. What I mean is, it's a very good price. However I couldn't post it here, as it is genuinely commercially sensitive information. Ask at the AGM.
I think it's perfectly fair. They were evasive, especially around spending money that they didn't have before they had asked council. Usually it was because council would have said no to the expenditure.

Wasting one penny on a new logo, whilst we are so desperately short of cash that we have had to increase membership 25%, game fee 8% and lose a full time member of staff is a penny too much. Strewth, isn't that obvious?

You haven't said where this "lots of criticism" has come from, nor the nature of it by the way. Or has that been posted in the best jokes section and I've missed it? :D

Richard Bates
Posts: 2903
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:27 pm

Re: Vote for an ECF logo

Post by Richard Bates » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:51 pm

What's wrong with the existing one?

Carol Williams
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:27 pm

Re: Vote for an ECF logo

Post by Carol Williams » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:57 pm

Sean is spot on.

Sounds like Nero fiddling while Rome burned -nothing new there then :x

If there is any spare money, which we are led to believe there isn't then whoever thought up this crazy idea should get off the board now.

All members should be consulted as to what they want/think the organisation needs then perhaps we just might move forward. Oops sorry radical ideas aren't popular are they?

Geoff Chandler
Posts: 2005
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:36 pm
Location: Under Cover
Contact:

Re: Vote for an ECF logo

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:26 pm

There is nothing at all wrong with the current logo.
Nothing at all.

And why all this secrecy about the cost.
(my only conclussion is that the figure is not inexpensive).

I suppose I could phone them up and ask them. And why not?
We have been asked to vote on this matter and the all this important
fact has not been revealed.

In the Scottish pack you get a a lamenated membership card which
gets you into certain places for free and can be used to obtain 10%-15%
discounts at certain shops and restaurants, a chess score book, pen,
a current grading list, 4 copies of Scottish chess, a tee shirt,
a baseball cap, an ashtray on request, a CD of Rabbie Burns poems read by notable
Scottish players also includes a SCA screen saver, a calendar with tactical puzzles,
mouse mat, SCA logo coasters, fridge magnets and a piggy bank.

I expect the ECF supplies the same.

Post Reply