Chess in School and Communities

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
andrew martin

Chess in School and Communities

Post by andrew martin » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:17 am

http://www.chessinschools.co.uk/teacher ... course.htm

I'd be very interested to hear who is running these courses at the London Chess Classic. The ECF should be able to help this worthy project in many ways, but of course one has to be consulted in order to do this.

Looking through the staff list on the website there is a list of five names. How many people are involved in CSC?

Sean Hewitt

Re: Chess in School and Communities

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:09 am

andrew martin wrote:I'd be very interested to hear who is running these courses at the London Chess Classic. The ECF should be able to help this worthy project in many ways, but of course one has to be consulted in order to do this
Given that the ECFs efforts in this area have been, shall we say, less than successful the ECF is hardly an exemplar in this field. By not consulting, perhaps others have come to the same conclusion.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:23 am

andrew martin wrote:http://www.chessinschools.co.uk/teacher ... course.htm

I'd be very interested to hear who is running these courses at the London Chess Classic. The ECF should be able to help this worthy project in many ways, but of course one has to be consulted in order to do this.

Looking through the staff list on the website there is a list of five names. How many people are involved in CSC?
Why not contact them and find out: [email protected]

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:26 am

Ernie Lazenby wrote:Chess Promotions Limited, incorporated February 2010, company secretary Malcolm Pein are the company running the courses and the initiative.
Malcolm is standing as non-exec ECF director in the October ECF board election. There are two candidates for two posts, so he only has to win against "none of the above".

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:58 am

Are any current ECF Board members involved with this new project?

Michele Clack

Post by Michele Clack » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:13 pm

According to its website Chess in Schools and Communities is a charity so it would have to have its own legal identity. As a charity it is completely separate from Malcolm Pein except for the fact that he is Company Secretary. That Malcolm is prepared to put his time into a charity promoting chess is commendable and if he has commercial experience as well surely he is just the sort of person the ECF needs. Why would there be a conflict of interest?

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:38 am

I have no problem with Malcolm at all, nor this project. I really do wish all involved well and I hope it thrives.

I just wanted to know who is running the courses as I'm interested in the content of those courses.

Sean's comment about the ECF and CFS is of course, valid to a degree, but I have no doubt that I can offer assistance on this one.

Doesnt it link up with another thread where we mentioned there were too many coaches for too few jobs? I had high hopes Chess for Schools would furnish us with many new jobs for these people; maybe CSC will do the trick?

Ernie , COM was designed only because 250,000 chess sets were going to revitalize junior chess. Only for that reason. If there had been no Holloid Plastics there would have been no COM..

As it stands the ECF got badly burned and we are adapting, trying to make the best out of the situation. If CSC and COM were to merge for the benefit of all then this would not be a bad idea .

I note the new scheme already has merit badges 1/2/3 . There is a limit to originality at this base level.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:52 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: so he only has to win against "none of the above".
Let us not forget that for past elections "none of the above" was by far the strongest candidate.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:27 am

I would class both projects dead at this point, greetings from a warm Lanzarote
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:47 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:I would class both projects dead at this point, greetings from a warm Lanzarote
The users of CoM and purchasers of product might choose to disagree.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:16 pm

John Upham wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:I would class both projects dead at this point, greetings from a warm Lanzarote
The users of CoM and purchasers of product might choose to disagree.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course.
Still waiting for an official number on real cash purchases on that one John?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:20 pm

Reminds me of the boxer Terry Marsh. Commentators would often mention that he was a "former schoolboy chess champion" ...
http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/getre ... ef=225209A

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:24 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote: Still waiting for an official number on real cash purchases on that one John?
I'm not but maybe you are.

The DoM is the person you need to ask such questions of.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:05 pm

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:Reminds me of the boxer Terry Marsh. Commentators would often mention that he was a "former schoolboy chess champion" ...
http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/getre ... ef=225209A
Not necessarily untrue though.

Some kids have won school titles (especially at junior school level) and never amounted to much in the "grown-up" game :wink:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:32 pm

John Upham wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote: Still waiting for an official number on real cash purchases on that one John?
I'm not but maybe you are.

The DoM is the person you need to ask such questions of.
DoM? I'm guessing it is not "Director of Maintenance"... (I genuinely don't know what this initialism is)