2010 Annual General Meeting

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Mick Norris

Re: 2010 Annual General Meeting

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:55 pm

We were told that Malcolm would not receive the emails circulated to board members, but that CJ would send him the ones that CJ felt were important

We were told that he would appoint an alternate, Mr Read, employed by the Chess Centre, to do the work of NED for Malcolm

We were told that Malcolm would be too busy to attend many meetings

Accordingly, some us felt that the role of NED was not suitable for him

Bear in mind that we voted on all positions, and hence elected CJ, Andrew Farthing, Gareth Caller, John Wickham, Adam Raoof, Peter Purland, Lawrence Cooper, Stewart Reuben, Nigel Short, Ray Clark, John Philpott, Ian Reynolds, John Philpott (other role), Richard Haddrell, Andrew Leadbetter, John Paines (see Agenda 11.1 to 11.8.4) and Goatcher Chandler (11.9) on a show of hands, nem con or with a couple of votes against

The Agenda said they were seeking re-election and Chris Majer asked us to vote, so we did

I think Chris Majer was right to ask for a card vote on Malcolm, given the show of hands was so close, and there was confusion over whether the directors could/should/did vote (with the expection of John Wickham the other NED who was definitely entitled to vote)

For the record, of the constituent units whose role has allegedly been replaced by the NEDs, the London League and SCCU voted for, the Manchester League and I'm pretty sure the NCCU against, I am guessing the MCCU votes were cast against, I don't know who was carrying the WECU or EACU votes as I don't know the names/faces of all those present

And I'll say again, many of us would welcome Malcolm in the ECF, but not in the role of NED
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:33 pm

Mick,
I notice you played 3 long play graded games last year. I just wondered what you had done to promote chess in the last year or so?
(I am asking because I don't know the answer)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:43 pm

Matthew

I knew you were going to ask that

Ash Keith Arkell or Sean Hewitt about my last 18 months personally, and look at the MCF website and see what I do
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:43 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:Mick,
I notice you played 3 long play graded games last year. I just wondered what you had done to promote chess in the last year or so?
(I am asking because I don't know the answer)
I played ZERO so I am not sure what relevance this has but the same could be asked of me I suppose?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:45 pm

Carl,
Yes, but you could say that you manage the grading website and the forum etc. Mick might might be responsible for similarly worthwhile projects. I don't know which is why I asked.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:52 pm

Mick Norris wrote: Ash Keith Arkell or Sean Hewitt about my last 18 months personally, and look at the MCF website and see what I do
I'll happily vouch for Mick as one of the good guys. All I'm going to say on this public forum is this is not a road that we need to go down.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:54 pm

Well, The MCF website is very impressive and Sean says that Mick helps run the Bury and Bolton congresses, as well as other things. OK, so he sounds like exactly the sort of person we want involved with the ECF. Obviously, I think he is wrong with regard to the Malcolm Pein appointment, but he has obviously 'earnt' the right to cast his vote.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:12 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:Well, The MCF website is very impressive and Sean says that Mick helps run the Bury and Bolton congresses, as well as other things. OK, so he sounds like exactly the sort of person we want involved with the ECF. Obviously, I think he is wrong with regard to the Malcolm Pein appointment, but he has obviously 'earnt' the right to cast his vote.
Does everyone need to earn the right?

It is important we see each side of the argument regardless is it not?

I don't think a number of games played means anything really
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Ljubica Lazarevic

Post by Ljubica Lazarevic » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:14 pm

I still have yet to figured out why Matthew places such importance on the number of graded games played before he deems someone to be useful to the chess world...

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:27 pm

Carl,
More than 10% of the votes were cast by a member of the Papua New Guinea Chess Federation. There are a lot of members of the ECF Council who are never seen at chess events. I just don't think they represent the 'average' chess player.
Clearly Mick doesn't fit into this category. His points about Malcolm Pein are all very sensible. However, one can put various spins on the points he raises
Malcolm will appoint an alternate to attend meetings

1. Malcolm cannot be bothered to turn up and he is not going to do a proper job

2. Malcolm is very busy promoting chess, organising the Classic and hopefully the World Championships in 2012. However, he is so committed to the ECF that he will be employing somebody to assist with his NED role.

I think most chess players would be prepared to override some misgivings to bring Malcolm Pein into the ECF fold.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:38 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:I think most chess players would be prepared to override some misgivings to bring Malcolm Pein into the ECF fold.
I don't disagree with that of course

Actually double checking the role of a NED I find I was clearly wrong as the role isn't just about 'monitoring' of the ECF but as Wikipedia describes it:

Strategy: Non-executive directors should constructively challenge and contribute to the development of strategy.

Performance: Non-executive directors should scrutinise the performance of management in meeting agreed goals and objectives and monitoring, and where necessary removing, senior management and in succession planning.

Risk: Non-executive directors should satisfy themselves that financial information is accurate and that financial controls and systems of risk management are robust and defensible.

People: Non-executive directors are responsible for determining appropriate levels of remuneration of executive directors and have a prime role in appointing, and where necessary removing, senior management and in succession planning.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:40 pm

Malcolm is clearly ideal to cover 'Strategy' but does he have the time or the inclination to cover the other three elements?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:46 pm

Mick Norris wrote:We were told that Malcolm would not receive the emails circulated to board members, but that CJ would send him the ones that CJ felt were important
The rest of the points seem perfectly reasonable although this first one clearly is not, it would not be appropriate for a NED to get a filtered list regardless of who was doing the filtering?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:48 pm

Perhaps having Malcolm Pein spend just one or two hours a week on ECF business could be worth 10 or 20 hours of <somebody else>'s time?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:00 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:Well, The MCF website is very impressive and Sean says that Mick helps run the Bury and Bolton congresses, as well as other things. OK, so he sounds like exactly the sort of person we want involved with the ECF. Obviously, I think he is wrong with regard to the Malcolm Pein appointment, but he has obviously 'earnt' the right to cast his vote.
Matthew

Stuart will be pleased you like the website

I am too busy to be involved with the ECF (unless you want to move it to Bolton)

I didn't cast my vote, I cast those of the organisations I represented

I run the Manchester Rapidplay (City of Manchester Stadium) and I organised the revised venue for the recent Manchester Autumn Congress in my role as MCF Congress Director - however, I get other people to do the hard work

I was chairman of Bury Chess Club for many years, secretary and team captain before that, and arranged for Keith Arkell to play for Bury, organising many simuls for Keith and accommodating him within my home

I was Manchester U175 captain for 2 years and temporary captain of the Manchester Open team on many occasions

I was elected MCF President on 19 July

I have 257 annotated games of my own on my database

I retired from evening chess in May, hope to play an occasional county match, and for the MCF 4NCL North team

I don't have time to play chess!

My website is http://www.pcfp.co.uk

I have posted my notes for yesterday's meetings elsewhere on this forum