Membership category?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Philpott

Re: Membership category?

Post by John Philpott » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:08 pm

Tristan Clayton wrote
I wonder if the ECF (or any other chess federation) has considered offering Life Membership?
I can name one federation that has done so in the past - the BCF. until this class of membership was closed to new members on 3 February 1968. Such a scheme might be effective in raising cash, but from an accounting perspective I would expect the revenue generated to be spread over the expected life of the member rather than being credited in full to the income and expenditure account in the year of receipt.

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:03 pm

"from an accounting perspective I would expect the revenue generated to be spread over the expected life of the member rather than being credited in full to the income and expenditure account in the year of receipt"

Indeed, the income and expenditure account in most membership organisations would recognise income from life memberships over, say, 25 years, although the cash could still be used immediately. This would only ever be wise, in my opinion, for one-off investment or capital expenditure, and would not be likely to be appropriate for funding ongoing expenditure which would recurr each year. I imagine the numbers likely to take this up for the ECF would be small.

David Pardoe

Re: Membership category? Contact..?

Post by David Pardoe » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:52 pm

Im looking to join as a Standard member in order to play 4NCL next weekend.
Can this be done quickly over the phone, or else how long will it take. Can it be done by next w/e in time for the 4NCL openning matches.
I`ve tried ringing & emailing the Battle Office but got no reply..
Any help appreciated. Is there another contact number?
BRING BACK THE BCF

Alex Holowczak

Re: Membership category? Contact..?

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:54 pm

David Pardoe wrote:Im looking to join as a Standard member in order to play 4NCL next weekend.
Can this be done quickly over the phone, or else how long will it take. Can it be done by next w/e in time for the 4NCL openning matches.
I`ve tried ringing & emailing the Battle Office but got no reply..
Any help appreciated. Is there another contact number?
E-mail Neville. Usually you can fill the form out at the venue before you play. If they know you're coming, you might find arbiters hunting you down waving membership forms...

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:08 pm

That's right - you can normally sign up at the weekend. Geoff Jones is the chief arbiter for the Northern League at the weekend - you would probably be advised to get in touch with him beforehand to check he is happy to take your application form and money. You can download the application form from the ECF website beforehand.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:13 pm

Thanks for that. I`ve already emailed Neville & await reply. Do you have an email for Geoff Jones.

I presume that all registration fees for 4NCL will be via board fees this year...pay on the day...?
BRING BACK THE BCF

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:18 pm

David Pardoe wrote:Thanks for that. I`ve already emailed Neville & await reply. Do you have an email for Geoff Jones.
I do, I'll e-mail it to you via PM.
David Pardoe wrote:I presume that all registration fees for 4NCL will be via board fees this year...pay on the day...?
For the 4NCL, you pay a flat fee at the start of the season. Division Three's entry fee is £150. The Northern League is probably the same... However your team (presumably the Manchester Chess Federation) pays that £150 is up to them. You personally don't have to hand over money to anyone, other than to pay for your Membership of the ECF. Indeed, the entry fee should already have been paid!

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:21 pm

Thanks again Alex...
BRING BACK THE BCF

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:23 pm

David

Geoff can be reached on [email protected] or [email protected] . Your team's entry fee has already been paid - how it is recouped from players (if at all) is not a matter for the 4NCL! If your question is about registrations and wild cards, I commend sections 3 and 4 of the 4NCL rules to you. Here's the link: http://www.4ncl.co.uk/1011_rules.htm .

Mike

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:55 pm

David - Join the Northern Membership scheme. It entitles you to play in the 4NCL and is half the price. Details via www.nccu.org.uk

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:00 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:David - Join the Northern Membership scheme. It entitles you to play in the 4NCL and is half the price. Details via http://www.nccu.org.uk
Would the Lancastrians in the NCCU allow such a thing?

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:16 pm

Thanks to all for help.
Sean, it had crossed my mind, but Im not eligable, I dont think.. Pity the MCCU dont have an MO scheme.
Was it not the ECF that put the boot into that one.....much to the annoyance of our chief `whip`... no doubt some of the oligjerks at head office got a tongue lashing, if not harsher retribution...
But now that the ECF big chief hails from the MCCU, he might use his influence to address this matter.
I guess it probably depends on whether the ECF can rally support for an cracker-jack, block busting, universal membership scheme, at £12 per head..boosting membership and streamlining the organisations fundings.
Can they persuade all parties to unify & subscribe to such a logical and ambitious plan.
The BCF did have such acheme a few years ago...!
BRING BACK THE BCF

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:34 pm

Incidentally, our Manchester team is still looking for a player for next w/e 4NCL North meeting at Darlington.
If you`d like to play/know someone..please get in touch. The venue, Redwood Barecelo Hotel, just off the A1(M), on the fringes of the Durham countryside, looks a delightful venue, and offers a good (B&B) discount to 4NCL chess players on the Saturday night. Fireworks are guaranteed.!?! PM me with details ASAP if interested.
PS Players dont necessarily need to come from Manchester area.
BRING BACK THE BCF