No more e2e4 events?!

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
andrew martin

No more e2e4 events?!

Post by andrew martin » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:28 pm

I'm trying to get to the bottom of this apparently unfortunate situation. I thought these events were successful and well-regarded?

If there are to be no more e2e4 events, why is this? It all seems very sudden.

E Michael White

Re: No more e2e4 events?!

Post by E Michael White » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:36 pm

Perhaps Sean could organise them as Chess Scotland or WCU events but played at the same locations in England. At one time consideration was being given by the ECF/BCF to playing the British Championships in France.

Ljubica Lazarevic

Post by Ljubica Lazarevic » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:52 pm

Given that Sean has single-handedly created some of the most high-quality tournaments available in England, successful for a number of years, it is imperative to find out what has lead to this.

Having had to experience the most horrendously organised and administered tournament in my chess-playing history this past weekend, it is critical to encourage tournament organisers like Sean.
Last edited by Ljubica Lazarevic on Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:58 pm

Ljubica Lazarevic wrote:Given that Sean has single-handedly created some of the most high-quality tournaments available in England, successful for a number of years, it is imperative to find out what has lead to this.

Having had to experience the most horrendously organised and administered tournaments in my chess-playing history this past weekend, it is critical to encourage tournament organisers like Sean.
Thank you for the kind words. Perhaps you should organise a petition?

Send it to [email protected] :lol:

Ljubica Lazarevic

Post by Ljubica Lazarevic » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:05 pm

You're, welcome, however I'm not entirely sure I like being described as intransigent!

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:18 pm

Sean, a little more clarification is needed on what is "actually" going on??
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Ljubica Lazarevic

Post by Ljubica Lazarevic » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:19 pm

Gareth Harley-Yeo

Post by Gareth Harley-Yeo » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:00 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Ljubica Lazarevic wrote:Given that Sean has single-handedly created some of the most high-quality tournaments available in England, successful for a number of years, it is imperative to find out what has lead to this.

Having had to experience the most horrendously organised and administered tournaments in my chess-playing history this past weekend, it is critical to encourage tournament organisers like Sean.
Thank you for the kind words. Perhaps you should organise a petition?

Send it to [email protected] :lol:
yeah, organise one under the WCU... I'm still in credit for 1 congress entry fee :shock:

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:06 pm

Ljubica Lazarevic wrote:
Having had to experience the most horrendously organised and administered tournament in my chess-playing history this past weekend, it is critical to encourage tournament organisers like Sean.
Can we know what this event was and perhaps more people can avoid it?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:11 pm

This is a tragic situation for English Chess. I really do hope a compromise can be found.

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:14 pm

John Upham wrote:
Ljubica Lazarevic wrote:Having had to experience the most horrendously organised and administered tournament in my chess-playing history this past weekend, it is critical to encourage tournament organisers like Sean.
It seems that it was the 4NCL rapidplay: http://www.bcfservices.org.uk/livechess ... stable.htm

Ms Lazarevic lost in the last two rounds, to people graded 199 and 204. I suspect that her opinion of the tournament is not entirely unrelated to this fact.

Ljubica Lazarevic

Post by Ljubica Lazarevic » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:16 pm

It is Miss Lazarevic, and my opinion of the tournament has absolutely no bearing on my poor performance at it. You will find I am not the only person very unsatisfied with the event.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:22 pm

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:
John Upham wrote:
Ljubica Lazarevic wrote:Having had to experience the most horrendously organised and administered tournament in my chess-playing history this past weekend, it is critical to encourage tournament organisers like Sean.
It seems that it was the 4NCL rapidplay: http://www.bcfservices.org.uk/livechess ... stable.htm

Ms Lazarevic lost in the last two rounds, to people graded 199 and 204. I suspect that her opinion of the tournament is not entirely unrelated to this fact.
This strikes me as a rather odd comment to make. It's hard to imagine someone graded 142 basing her judgement of a tournament on losing to two players graded 57 and 62 points above her.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:25 pm

LozCooper wrote:This strikes me as a rather odd comment to make. It's hard to imagine someone graded 142 basing her judgement of a tournament on losing to two players graded 57 and 62 points above her.
Not sure on the actually relevance either no :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:31 pm

Complaints about pairings, perhaps? Apart from that, i see no relevance
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.