No more e2e4 events?!

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Ian Thompson

Re: No more e2e4 events?!

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:16 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:Did you mean this one? http://ratings.fide.com/view_source.phtml?code=50327

I agree it has the Open players and Major players mixed up. As an historic record of the event it's incomplete anyway because it doesn't record half or full point byes and players defaulting or withdrawing.
Yes. I think the presentation is poor, but it seems likely the underlying data is there, so a better report could be displayed. For example, Ian Kingston is shown in second place in the report with 4.5 points, between players who scored 6 points and 5.5 points. He actually scored 5.5 points in the tournament, including a bye/win by default, so I think FIDE must know about the extra point he got. They just haven't displayed it in his list of game results.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:48 pm

For clarity's sake, I should note that I won by default in Round 4 of the Major at Sunningdale.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:00 pm

I'm pleased to announce that we have come to an arrangement with the ECF that will allow e2e4 events to continue. The solution proposed by the ECF is "iffy" to say the least but they assure me that it will be acceptable to FIDE. On that basis I am happy to agree it as my beef was only ever about ensuring that players got the part ratings that they had earned in our events.

I would like to thank all contributors to this and the other thread on the subject. I had been trying in vain for a month to get the ECF to even communicate on the subject, let alone agree something that worked. Yet within 72 hours of this thread getting created, all was solved.

All hail the forum!

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:08 pm

Sean,

Excellent news indeed!

I am confident that the problem would have been resolved in a speedy and satisfactory manner even had you not posted to this forum :lol:
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:10 pm

John Upham wrote: I am confident that the problem would have been resolved in a speedy and satisfactory manner even had you not posted to this forum :lol:
I respect all beliefs, however bizarre or unlikely they may seem :lol:

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:52 pm

Phew!

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:16 pm

Excellent news. Thanks to all those who made their views clear in a calm and measured way on the Forum.

I think it was a combination of public pressure (here) and private representations that did the trick.

I won't say any more because:
David Sedgwick wrote:With this seemingly trivial issue resolved one way or the other, all parties should set aside personality issues and clashes, apologise for any intemperate language used, shake hands and move on.
I hope that we've now reached the point where that can happen.
Last edited by David Sedgwick on Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Sargent

Post by John Sargent » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:33 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:I'm pleased to announce that we have come to an arrangement with the ECF that will allow e2e4 events to continue. The solution proposed by the ECF is "iffy" to say the least but they assure me that it will be acceptable to FIDE. On that basis I am happy to agree it as my beef was only ever about ensuring that players got the part ratings that they had earned in our events.

I would like to thank all contributors to this and the other thread on the subject. I had been trying in vain for a month to get the ECF to even communicate on the subject, let alone agree something that worked. Yet within 72 hours of this thread getting created, all was solved.

All hail the forum!
Great news, Sean. Looking forward to seeing you and a lot of the regulars in Brighton.