Page 1 of 2

Will Gerry Walsh engage in this dialogue?

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:59 pm
by John Upham
Does anyone feel it might be appropriate for Gerry W. to discuss these issues with the great unwashed who inhabit this and other forums?

Maybe the ECF Press Office (is there such a post?) would like to say a few words?

Re: Will Gerry Walsh engage in this dialogue?

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:08 pm
by Carl Hibbard
John Upham wrote:Does anyone feel it might be appropriate for Gerry W. to discuss these issues with the great unwashed who inhabit this and other forums?

Maybe the ECF Press Office (is there such a post?) would like to say a few words?
Can I have a not in my lifetime option?

Re: Will Gerry Walsh engage in this dialogue?

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:12 pm
by Charles W. Wood
John Upham wrote:Does anyone feel it might be appropriate for Gerry W. to discuss these issues with the great unwashed who inhabit this and other forums?

Maybe the ECF Press Office (is there such a post?) would like to say a few words?
Give him chance to get back from his duties. Its still the same week as it all happened. And I am very clean thank you. :)

Do you smell then?

Re: Will Gerry Walsh engage in this dialogue?

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:50 pm
by Charles W. Wood
Ernie Lazenby wrote:Excuse me but in this age of instant worldwide communication its not unreasonable for the Captain of the ship to send some kind of message to calm the waters. I mean its 4 days since the resignations and surely in that time he could spare an hour to compose a brief statement for publication on the webb site. It only need to be brief until he returned to the UK.

I am afraid 'silence is not golden' on this occasion.
I thought the CEO was captain he is in real companies and Martin is still here and might I add he is a professional. Gerry will stand in when he gets back. I bet you lot panic bought petrol this week too, talk about trying to make a hard situation worse. Its not going to fall over. The next board meeting will be soon and positions will be filled. Mr Philpott has pointed out the details of staying legal. I'm not panicking.

Re: Will Gerry Walsh engage in this dialogue?

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:00 pm
by Charles W. Wood
Ernie Lazenby wrote:The Captain of the Titanic was ordered to increase speed by the President of the ship owners and look what happened.

Captains cannot steer if the real powers lock the wheel !
You do know that the ECF is a Chess organisation not a ship don't you. We have had some people resign and thats it, no icebergs, no need for life boats just replacements. Thats all. Calm down, its just a change of direction. Companies do this, often. No panic needed.

Re: Will Gerry Walsh engage in this dialogue?

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:07 pm
by William Metcalfe
Jerry will never engage in this dialogue those of us up here in cleveland saw how jerry worked in a crisis he kept his head down said or did nothing and hoped other people would clear up the mess.
If you are waiting for any sort of leadership from jerry do not hold your breath this man has 1 thing in common he left cleveland in a mess and in a dicline which we are slowly sorting out and he has led the ECF to a mess and english chess in a terminal decline.
It is time he did the honourable thing and resigned as he has been a disaster of a president more intrested in his little power base than what is best for english chess.

Re: Will Gerry Walsh engage in this dialogue?

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:17 pm
by Charles W. Wood
William Metcalfe wrote:Jerry will never engage in this dialogue those of us up here in cleveland saw how jerry worked in a crisis he kept his head down said or did nothing and hoped other people would clear up the mess.
If you are waiting for any sort of leadership from jerry do not hold your breath this man has 1 thing in common he left cleveland in a mess and in a dicline which we are slowly sorting out and he has led the ECF to a mess and english chess in a terminal decline.
It is time he did the honourable thing and resigned as he has been a disaster of a president more intrested in his little power base than what is best for english chess.
So by your words his involvement in the "Chess for Schools" project will not help chess. I think thats a very narrow view, there has been many many disasters in this project Gerry (as well as many of the other members of the board albeit resigned or other wise) stay the course. He is in Greece or Bulgaria or something on Junior duties, we have just had a council meeting where many decisions were made, and we have another board meeting coming up.

Is there something urgent you need to address before the legal requirement of the next board meeting?

The Office is still there, we still have 5 directors, nominations will be going through normal channels. No crisis. I have said this a few times but the resigning board members are a great lose, BUT its not the end of the world, no is going to die, and everything is still moving forward. What major issue that needs addressing is there right this minute that calls for everyone to down tools and run round with our arms in the air. The British is under control, grading is still going to happen, there is a procedure for this eventuality. So no panic.

Re: Will Gerry Walsh engage in this dialogue?

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:18 pm
by andrew martin
The crisis is growing more acute.

If David Welch, a man for whom I have the highest regard has resigned, doesn't that reduce the board to an unworkable number?

What price the British Championship? It looks like we are going to have to patch that one up too. Charles says it is all under control. Can he expand on that ?

Andrew

Re: Will Gerry Walsh engage in this dialogue?

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:20 pm
by William Metcalfe
no we do not have 5 directors now dave welsh has stood down so now the ECF is in breach of its own rules and structure as it needs a corum of 5 to be a legal company.

Re: Will Gerry Walsh engage in this dialogue?

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:24 pm
by Charles W. Wood
andrew martin wrote:The crisis is growing more acute.

If David Welch, a man for whom I have the highest regard has resigned, doesn't that reduce the board to an unworkable number?

What price the British Championship? It looks like we are going to have to patch that one up too. Charles says it is all under control. Can he expand on that ?

Andrew
He is still a Director just not a manager. More panic. start running round in circles waving arms madly. Just read the piece properly. Director of Home Chess is STILL I repeat STILL David Welsh. Manager of Congress Chess is now vacant.

Can I stop running round screaming yet?

Re: Will Gerry Walsh engage in this dialogue?

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:29 pm
by Paul Stimpson
David Welch is a big loss and the timing couldn't of been any worse than this.

By any standards this is a crisis now, there is no papering over the cracks.

Charles, if this is down to ill health then it will affect his whole involvement.

I am sure I speak for all on this board in wishing him a speedy recovery.

Re: Will Gerry Walsh engage in this dialogue?

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:34 pm
by Charles W. Wood
Paul Stimpson wrote:David Welch is a big loss and the timing couldn't of been any worse than this.

By any standards this is a crisis now, there is no papering over the cracks.

Charles, if this is down to ill health then it will affect his whole involvement.

I am sure I speak for all on this board in wishing him a speedy recovery.
I was quite poorly once and didn't run one of my events, but I didn't stop being Director of the Renaissance Academy. The two are not as connected as we thought unless we know that David is too poorly. We all know David, if he was too poorly he would do something about it. He is after all a sensible man, one of the most I know.

Re: Will Gerry Walsh engage in this dialogue?

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:03 pm
by Charles W. Wood
I have just had my twice weekly phone call from Gerry to catch up with the "Chess for Schools" project. I asked is there any thing going to happen next regarding the resignations? He pointed out he is talking to the other remaining directors and something will be forthcoming including dates, times and procedure. I know Peter Wilson has been hard to get hold of as he is at his Brother-In-Laws funeral. It was in hand after all. I don't think there is much point trying to second guess a set of people who in all honesty should be trusted to do the right thing and they are doing just that.

His biggest comment which I kinda like was that he has only done what he would have done had he been at home, phone calls and emails. It just costs him more there. :D

Martin Regan as I have pointed out is a good man and has tended his resignation in for the end of May (we are at the beginning) this allows plenty of time for new candidates to be selected and put in place in the interim for October. The other directors are entitled to their actions as it didn't collapse the ECF. No harm done again.

Now the time for panicking is over, debate is still needed. The more the better. :)

See you on the forum!

Re: Will Gerry Walsh engage in this dialogue?

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:52 pm
by Charles W. Wood
Ernie Lazenby wrote:Charles your loyalty is transparent and is to be admired.
I have only one loyalty and thats to Junior chess, Gerry and I agrue on most points, as did Martin and I and the same with Peter Wilson. I just don't see panic where there isn't any. Until October the remaining members of the board are my bosses, as all of the board where before the resignations, and the new members are after they are selected. I was hoping that the future work would have been done with Claire as she has supported me the most with my project directly but that was not to be. My main interest is always going to be Junior Chess, thats all. I support any and all people who support junior chess regards of politics.

To be honest I find most of this Pro this and Anti that so funny. Its kept me amused all day. So thank you all. :D

Re: Will Gerry Walsh engage in this dialogue?

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:51 pm
by Neil Graham
As Gerry isn't a member of this forum as far as I can see, it's highly unlikely that there will be any response from him on here.