Shock new ECF appointments

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
andrew martin

Shock new ECF appointments

Post by andrew martin » Fri May 02, 2008 4:53 pm

Following the recent disturbances in English Chess, several new emergency ECF appointments have been made:

International Director Bill Brewer

Junior Director Jan Stewer

Congress Director Peter Gurney

CEO Peter Davy

Chess for Schools project Dan'l Whiddon

Manager of Coaching Harry Hawk

The Presidency is still vacant,but there is a strong favourite, not yet revealed.

Nigel Wright

Re: Shock new ECF appointments

Post by Nigel Wright » Fri May 02, 2008 4:57 pm

Do we know anything about these people? Are they Martin Regan minded or Gerry Walsh minded?
To Drink or not to Drink, that is the question.

I Drink therefore I am.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Fri May 02, 2008 5:04 pm

andrew martin wrote:Following the recent disturbances in English Chess, several new emergency ECF appointments have been made:

International Director Bill Brewer

Junior Director Jan Stewer

Congress Director Peter Gurney

CEO Peter Davy

Chess for Schools project Dan'l Whiddon

Manager of Coaching Harry Hawk

The Presidency is still vacant,but there is a strong favourite, not yet revealed.
I thought you were Manager of Coaching??? And I am Chess for Schools Project Manager. I'm a little confused now.

Ah its a joke.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :D

Well then my suggested list:

Manager of Coaching - Wallace Arnold
Chess for Schools Project Manager - Lesley Vinakolo
International Director - Valerie Sinlgeton
Congress Director - Eddie the Eagle
Junior Director - Vin Desiel
CEO - Nick Leeson
Finance Director - Lord Black
President - George W Bush

:lol:
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Fri May 02, 2008 5:21 pm

"As soon as a Board meeting can be convened, a proposal will be voted upon to appoint Chris Majer as a Director until the AGM in October 2008 and to invite him to assume the role of Acting Chief Executive until 31st May and Chief Executive thereafter." http://www.bcf.org.uk/

So following the theme of Andrew's post, now we know who Uncle Tom Cobbly is!

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Fri May 02, 2008 6:14 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:I have a question having read the ECF homepage.

Who is currently the ECF? Who authorised the statement thats been put out?

Does anyone believe that has been put out without the knowledge of the absent President who remains silent?
My understanding is all the directors including the Prez. Hes abroard, not dead. Emails and phones work out there too. :)

It is interesting though.

I do have a question, how come new directors don't have to go through the voting procedure? (I know its 6 months, its a temperary fix and its a former Director but still it seems strange)
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Nigel Wright

Post by Nigel Wright » Fri May 02, 2008 6:48 pm

Charles W. Wood wrote: Hes abroard, not dead. Emails and phones work out there too. :)
So why hasn't Gerry issued a statement yet?
To Drink or not to Drink, that is the question.

I Drink therefore I am.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Fri May 02, 2008 7:34 pm

Charles W. Wood wrote:
Ernie Lazenby wrote:I have a question having read the ECF homepage.

Who is currently the ECF? Who authorised the statement thats been put out?

Does anyone believe that has been put out without the knowledge of the absent President who remains silent?
My understanding is all the directors including the Prez. Hes abroard, not dead. Emails and phones work out there too. :)

It is interesting though.

I do have a question, how come new directors don't have to go through the voting procedure? (I know its 6 months, its a temperary fix and its a former Director but still it seems strange)
Because the ECF is appointing temporary directors until the next AGM in accordance with its constitution viz :-

The Board shall have power at any time, and from time to time, to appoint any person to be a Director, either to fill a casual vacancy or as an addition to the existing Directors, but so that the total number of Directors shall not at any time exceed any maximum number fixed in accordance with these Articles. Any Director so appointed shall hold office only until the next following Annual General Meeting, and shall then be eligible for re-election. The Board shall also have power at any time to fill a casual vacancy arising in respect of the FIDE Delegate, the Auditor or the Standing Committees referred to in Article 17 to hold office only until the next following Annual General Meeting.

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Fri May 02, 2008 7:43 pm

Neil Graham has correctly answered Charles Wood's question as to why new directors do not have to go through the voting procedure. What I would add is:

1. The BCF Management Board had the power to make such appointments in the past.

2. It was the wish of Council, rightly or wrongly, that the ECF should, as far as possible, mirror the BCF.

3. The inevitable consequence of 1 and 2 is that the ECF Articles of Association give the Board power to appoint replacement Directors. As Mike Gunn has pointed out on another thread, this is in any event entirely normal for a Company Limited by Guarantee.

It is possible to alter this, and indeed any other, provision of the Articles of Association, but to do so requires the passing of a Special Resolution with a 75% majority of those voting at a Council Meeting.

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Fri May 02, 2008 8:04 pm

John Philpott wrote:Neil Graham has correctly answered Charles Wood's question as to why new directors do not have to go through the voting procedure. What I would add is:

1. The BCF Management Board had the power to make such appointments in the past.

2. It was the wish of Council, rightly or wrongly, that the ECF should, as far as possible, mirror the BCF.

3. The inevitable consequence of 1 and 2 is that the ECF Articles of Association give the Board power to appoint replacement Directors. As Mike Gunn has pointed out on another thread, this is in any event entirely normal for a Company Limited by Guarantee.

It is possible to alter this, and indeed any other, provision of the Articles of Association, but to do so requires the passing of a Special Resolution with a 75% majority of those voting at a Council Meeting.
Thats answers that question. just a matter of point then, I feel would be better if we had a emergency situation (This is Kinda) I think many people would be happier if we had a bit of control as shareholders of the organisation.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Sat May 03, 2008 11:01 am

Charles W. Wood wrote:Chess for Schools Project Manager - Lesley Vinakolo
CEO - Nick Leeson
HAHAHAHAHA - Good one.
Two guys who could scare the living daylights out of the kids in person and two total numpties - one clever but caught, one stupid but powerful!
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sat May 03, 2008 11:57 am

Greg Breed wrote:
Charles W. Wood wrote:Chess for Schools Project Manager - Lesley Vinakolo
CEO - Nick Leeson
HAHAHAHAHA - Good one.
Two guys who could scare the living daylights out of the kids in person and two total numpties - one clever but caught, one stupid but powerful!
It was meant to show that I am kinda upset with both camps (as are hundreds of people) because they don't get on with each other. Yet if they did the ECF would be rocking.

"Kinda upset" means exactly that, just a little bit. Martin and Gerry are both very clever, very nice people with the best intentions of the ECF, its them intentions that are causing the problem because they are different intentions and like all mad chess players there is no grey just black and white, no half way house just my way or your way. ECF Politics = Primary School Playground Politics.

I was tempted to put Robin Cook as CEO as he throughs the toys out with style as well, and Mark Thatcher as Prez after he got lost abroard.

Whats going to happen next, Martin (I think) will put himself forward as Prez in October. Did Gerry tell me this, nope, so why would I make such a leap? To quote Andrew Martin
andrew martin wrote: The Presidency is still vacant,but there is a strong favourite, not yet revealed.
so my promise is simple I'm going to do everything in my power to put people on the board who are not in either camp or any camp.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion