ECF Elections

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Philpott

Re: ECF Elections

Post by John Philpott » Sun May 11, 2008 11:12 pm

Ernie

Under the Procedural Byelaw, a candidate for election must be:

(a) a retiring Director, the FIDE Delegate or a Chairman of a Standing Committee seeking re-election to the same Post; or

(b) a nominee of the Board for a Post; or

(c) a person proposed with the level of support of the Requisitionists in Article 1.1.

Gerry is perfectly entitled to nominate himself under (a), but an eccentric chess loony would not qualify under this section as he would not a retiring officer seeking re-election to the same post. Requisitionists (e.g. any two representative members of Council) could, however, nominate the loony under (c).

If there is only one candidate for a post it is not a foregone conclusion that this individual will be elected. Regardless of whether there is one candidate or several, a Council member can vote for "none of the candidates". If "none of the candidates" receives more support that the best supported candidate, the Chairman of the meeting will declare that the post remains vacant, and responsibility for making an appointment will revert to the Board under Article 57.

Chris Majer

Re: ECF Elections

Post by Chris Majer » Sun May 11, 2008 11:26 pm

Can someone enlighten me on the fllowing proceedure;

I notice that Gerry Walsh nominated himself for election last year and presumably will do this year;

In the CCA we have a system where the Exec officers have to be nominated and seconded.

Do I assume that if no one stands against the current President he simple keeps the job without any vote being taken? why not take a vote and see if he survives if he does'nt then the board look round for a replacement.

Also, I dont want to appear flippant but when I think of the game of Monopoly in which theres a 'get of jail free card' I think about the ECF equivalent, its called 'Council'

The question is does the President, and any other director for that matter, simply get the job by default if no one else wants it?

Lets assume that Gerry stood down and the job was up for grabs; some eccentric chess loony nominates himself and stands unopposed, does he get the job by default?
The ECF is a company limited by guarantee and therefore has to comply with standard company rules. The regulations for elections are set out in the Articles: see http://www.englishchess.org.uk/organisa ... e-laws.htm
This says:
12.6 Each candidate for a Post must be either:

(a) A retiring Director, the FIDE Delegate or a Chairman of a Standing Committee seeking re-election to the same Post; or

(b) a nominee of the Board for a Post; or

(c) a person proposed with the level of support of the Requisitionists in Article 1.1.

So I would have thought it was more correct to say that Gerry did not require nomination.

Council has the opportunity to reject one or all of any candidates for a post. This prerogative has been utilised in the past.
Chris Majer
ECF Chief Executive