SO WHO'S GOING TO SHEFFIELD? I AM!

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Sean Hewitt

Re: SO WHO'S GOING TO SHEFFIELD? I AM!

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:02 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
harrylamb wrote:I do not understand why in an 11 round tournament you need to use an accelerated pairing system unless you have more that 2000 entries
British arbiters love doing manual pairings. They tell us there isn't yet a satisfactory computer program to do accelerated pairings on the British rules.
I'm sure that's the real reason. I've had arbiters tell me they won't work at an e2e4 event if they are not allowed to do manual pairings. So they don't work at e2e4 events :lol:
Roger de Coverly wrote:You need to know why you accelerate. A larger number of players than the theoretical limit is one reason, but I've noticed e2e4 have dropped acceleration for recent events.
We use acceleration for one reason only, and that is to avoid two players finishing the event on maximum points. However, we factor in the number of byes, and the competitiveness of the field (ie the chances of draws) to work out when we need to accelerate. For us, we need a field far larger than 2^n in fact it's more like 2(2^n) before it's necessary for us.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:29 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:
harrylamb wrote:I do not understand why in an 11 round tournament you need to use an accelerated pairing system unless you have more that 2000 entries
British arbiters love doing manual pairings. They tell us there isn't yet a satisfactory computer program to do accelerated pairings on the British rules.
I'm sure that's the real reason. I've had arbiters tell me they won't work at an e2e4 event if they are not allowed to do manual pairings. So they don't work at e2e4 events :lol:
If that's really true, they must be pretty masochistic. I've always found doing manual accelerated pairings accurately under time pressure to be an extremely demanding task.

harrylamb

Post by harrylamb » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:42 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:We use acceleration for one reason only, and that is to avoid two players finishing the event on maximum points. However, we factor in the number of byes, and the competitiveness of the field (ie the chances of draws) to work out when we need to accelerate. For us, we need a field far larger than 2^n in fact it's more like 2(2^n) before it's necessary for us.
If you want to avoid two players finishing on 100% and If you take into account the possibilities of a draw the numbers soon become astronomical. From my database of 2 million long play games played where both players are over 2000 the percentage of players with each result is
Result.....%
Win........32
Draw......36
Lost........32

From this I calculate that the maximum number of players for tournament up to 11 rounds is.
Rounds...No of Players
1................ 2
2................ 6
3................ 16
4................ 61
6............... 596
7............ 1,862
8............ 5,820

These numbers only apply if you get 32% of the games being won. If you get more won the tournament will hold fewer players. If you get less won the tournament will hold more players.

If you get more than 177,000 players in the British. You can run a seeded tournament to solve your problems. What you need to do is have more draws (ie fewer wins). And that’s easy to achieve. In round 1 you put everyone in rating order and you pair
1v2
3v4
5v6
And so on

For subsequent rounds you put the players in 1) points order and 2) grade order and again pair.
1v2
3v4
5v6
And so on

Avoiding of course playing the same two players twice. I think it would be a good system
Last edited by harrylamb on Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
No taxation without representation

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:54 pm

I have to say that I agree with Harry, and I am not in favour of acceleration. But then I am not as experienced as Alex McFarlane and I defer to his opinion on the subject.

I also think that a lot of English tournament organisers could benefit from using Tournament Director to run their events, however it is important to know how to do manual pairings, even when you use the best software problems can arise, and there is always someone who wants to query his pairing (!) and wants an explanation.

The big tournaments are an excellent training ground for arbiters - and you can't learn much about pairings just doing them on a computer.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:12 pm

harrylamb wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:We use acceleration for one reason only, and that is to avoid two players finishing the event on maximum points. However, we factor in the number of byes, and the competitiveness of the field (ie the chances of draws) to work out when we need to accelerate. For us, we need a field far larger than 2^n in fact it's more like 2(2^n) before it's necessary for us.
If you want to avoid two players finishing on 100% and If you take into account the possibilities of a draw the numbers soon become astronomical. From my database of 2,000,000 long play games played where both players are over 2000 the percentage of players with each result is
Result %
Win 32
Draw 36
Lost 32

From this I calculate that the maximum number of players for tournament up to 11 rounds is.
Rounds No of Players
1................ 2
2................ 6
3................ 16
4................ 61
I think you're agreeing with Sean's logic. If Sean runs a 5-round congress, he'll probably get 60-70 in the most populous section, which is well under the 5-round figure of 190 you've calculated here, even with 32/36/32.
Adam Raoof wrote:I also think that a lot of English tournament organisers could benefit from using Tournament Director to run their events, however it is important to know how to do manual pairings, even when you use the best software problems can arise, and there is always someone who wants to query his pairing (!) and wants an explanation.

The big tournaments are an excellent training ground for arbiters - and you can't learn much about pairings just doing them on a computer.
I agree that it's important for arbiters to learn how to do pairings.

I think it's equally important that you don't encourage people to use Tournament Director to do pairings for you. If you want the FIDE pairing algorithm, it works just fine I think, but the ECF pairing algorithm doesn't seem to work. It gets floats wrong in particular. The wisdom with TD if you want accurate pairings is to do the pairings manually, and then override the ones the computer gets wrong.

I was using it for a blitz event this week, and it somehow managed make a meal of the round 1 pairings.

I had two players with the same grade, 151C and 151r. AutoNumber numbered them with 151C ahead of 151r, which was fine. However, when it did the pairings, it put 151r as seed 6 and 151C as seed 7 on alphabetical order, so the effect was that seed 6 was PIN 7 and seed 7 was PIN 6. The net effect was that PIN 6 and PIN 7 were on the wrong boards. It worked out that PIN 7 should play PIN 14, and PIN 6 should play PIN 13, but this meant round 1 had 6 v 14 and 7 v 13, and it got the colours wrong. Given the two grades were the same, it was a valid set of pairings, but it was just a ridiculously counter-intuitive way of doing it. It numbered giving priority to the standard ahead of the rapid grade, and paired giving priority to the first letter of the player's surnames. Why didn't it pair the same way it numbered things? :?

In the end though, we had 20 entries, so we had two 10-player APAs followed by a Final, so we could use the Berger APA pairings, and not worry about the Swiss pairings. :D

Except it crashed every time I tried to use Berger mode, so I ended up writing down the tables manually off the TD website, and running it in Swiss mode putting all the pairings in for each of the 9 rounds. :cry:

Tournament Director is very great for ECF stuff, it does a lot of jobs that makes things easier, such as produce grading/FIDE-rating reports automatically, and producing printouts of pairings, cross tables, and even result slips. However, it's far from a complete tool.

harrylamb

Post by harrylamb » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:29 pm

Simon Ansell wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote: 3 HOWELL, David WL, 2625gm; v ANSELL, Simon, 2410im;
--
19 ANSELL, Simon, 2410im; v YURENOK, Maria S, 2090wf;
Is there a possible third system??

:D
Under my system you would be black against Aaron Summerscale. A much better pairing :lol:
No taxation without representation

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:16 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:I also think that a lot of English tournament organisers could benefit from using Tournament Director to run their events.
I might consider that if it could get the pairings correct. But it doesn't so I'll stick with the excellent software from the Dutch Chess Federation thanks!

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:04 am

Wake-up everyone! The latest list of entries lept to 623 last night! The equivalent figure for Canterbury at this stage last year was 570. Amazing! Could we be heading for 1000 entries for the first time since Edinburgh in 2003? Incidently where are the Scots - have they lost interest? It would be good to see Jonathan Rowson plaing again but I notice he would only be fifth seed among the current entrants. Anyone one else planning to go who's not yet entered?

cjdemooi

Post by cjdemooi » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:11 am

David Gilbert wrote:Incidently where are the Scots - have they lost interest? It would be good to see Jonathan Rowson plaing again but I notice he would only be fifth seed among the current entrants.
I did of course try to get some of the Scottish players, specifically Jonathan, but various factors meant I was unsuccessful. Apologies again.

Dan O'Dowd

Post by Dan O'Dowd » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:31 pm

cjdemooi wrote:I did of course try to get some of the Scottish players, specifically Jonathan, but various factors meant I was unsuccessful. Apologies again.
That's so cute how you apologise despite having the uberfield ^^

This will be my first British; back at the place I went to uni for! Can't wait, atmosphere will surely be amazing! Now that North Shields is confirmed for 2012, I have a difficult decision between going even more local (being from Carlisle, I should probably savour back-to-back northern Britishes :D) or getting back to Chambéry for their international tournament! :P Cumbria in 2018 or some other far-flung number?? :P :P

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:17 am

" In round 1 you put everyone in rating order and you pair
1v2
3v4
5v6
And so on

For subsequent rounds you put the players in 1) points order and 2) grade order and again pair.
1v2
3v4
5v6
And so on

Avoiding of course playing the same two players twice. I think it would be a good system"

John Sargent/Peter Bond tried that in a Westminster Rapidplay. There were about 120 players at the start and about 90 at the start of round 3. Two people reached 5/5, so the last round board one pairing was a 220 vs a 140. The next month, he got about 50 entries, none of whom were over about 180... The reasoning for the experiment was that a lot of the lower graded players objected to losing to strong players in the first couple of rounds. (Some were delighted to have the opportunity to play strong players.) So perhaps an experiment best not repeated!
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:51 pm

In other countries I have become acutely aware that few arbiters understand how to do Swiss Pairings, apart from putting the data into the computer and pushing the button. That would be OK if there were a perfect pairing system after having chosen your objectives. But this is by no means true. Where are new ideas for improving systems going to come from if people just rely on computers?
It would be a good idea to ask the players in Sheffield which system(s) they would prefer to be used in the future. But how many people have adequate knowledge? For example there are the following systems:
Lottery
Seeded by Rating 1v33, 34v2 etc.
Seeded by Rating 1v64, 63v2 etc.
Accelerated Fractional
Accelerated Bonus points
Dubov
Burstein
For first round divide in 6 groups 1v3, 2v4, 5v6.
'Reuben' System
'Lamb' system 1v2 4v3

Only the third and last are totally flawed in concept in my opinion, and people can of course disagree with that.

How many of you would have been happy with the Seeded system used in the recent Commonwealth Chess Championship where a very large number of players without FIDE Ratings (many had SA ones) took part.

Stewart Reuben

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:21 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: How many of you would have been happy with the Seeded system used in the recent Commonwealth Chess Championship where a very large number of players without FIDE Ratings (many had SA ones) took part.
It used to be common practice before nearly all the higher strength amateur players had ratings, that events would slot un-rated players into position in the pairings using a conversion formula from the national ratings.

In at least one year, Hastings varied this by giving all the un-rated players ratings below the rated players. This made the first round accelerated 3v4 pairings into rated v unrated. With ratings going all the way down to 1000, you need to slot players according to national ratings where available. You only might not do this if they are unreliable.

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:34 pm

@ Roger - I find this is standard practice outside the UK, where it is more normal for people who play tournaments to have a FIDE rating ... it's only because British Chess has a history of not rating most weekend events that we tend to convert ...

Paul

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:50 pm

Roger >In at least one year, Hastings varied this by giving all the un-rated players ratings below the rated players.<

This was also frequently done for the Major Open. This maximised the opportunities for unrated players to meet rated ones. Thus they were more likely to meet 9 rated opponents, the number required to get a rating in one hit.

That is why I say you must decide on your objectives before deciding on your pairing system. Can I suggest for the British it be:
That the players enjoy themselves.
That players with higher scores get higher Tournament Performance Ratings than those with lower scores.
I'll suggest a valid alternative.
That the ratings of the players be adjusted with k=50 according to their results in 2011. Then put these new Ratings into the table and determine the new TPR based on this information. Computerise the systems in my table 1, 2, 4, 6, 7 and run off say 100,000 tournaments of each system. Then see which best meets the above criteria.
Michael Adams should always have White in round 1 as he has a built-in advantage for 2011 of about 0.33 points. You wouldn't need a special programme for the lottery. Simply assign the 'seeding numbers' randomly and then use the Seeded System pairing rules.

The results that actually happen in 2011 should be used where possible in the simulations.

Lloyds Bank Masters 1994 woth 295 players and 10 rounds didn't work wonderfully. Morozevich scored 9.5/10. Of course no quarrels with that! But Mainka came second by himself with 8/10 and did not meet Alexander. That feels unsatisfactory.

I'll hazard a guess. Lottery would meet the criteria above best and Seeded Swiss worst. The problem with any one Lottery Swiss is the results might be horrible. So we might add in another requirement: to get the lowest standard deviations for the players.

Stewart Reuben