British Championships

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Matthew Turner

British Championships

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri May 16, 2008 2:43 pm

About one week ago Professor Robertson said that there were still many things to be done with the British Championships and I wondered what was the current state of play. I notice on the ECF website that there are now conditions for leading players. However, following the ECF links it still gives David welch as the contact and the St. George's Hall website makes no mention of the British Chess Championships (the Glorney Cup and EU Championships are up there). Anyone know what is happening?

Charles W. Wood

Re: British Championships

Post by Charles W. Wood » Fri May 16, 2008 2:50 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:About one week ago Professor Robertson said that there were still many things to be done with the British Championships and I wondered what was the current state of play. I notice on the ECF website that there are now conditions for leading players. However, following the ECF links it still gives David welch as the contact and the St. George's Hall website makes no mention of the British Chess Championships (the Glorney Cup and EU Championships are up there). Anyone know what is happening?
Hi Matthew

I think Stewart Reuben is in charge, as I understand it. He would be a good place to start putting things together.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri May 16, 2008 3:05 pm

I know that Stewart has taken on the British and it probably correct for him to be taking over at this time, an experienced hand on the tiller and all that. Whether, it is a good move for Stewart is more open to question, his health is worse than David's, and frankly with everything that is going on I cannot see this job making it any better. I hope everything goes well, but Professor Robertson spoke of contracts not being signed and given that there is no mention of the Championships on the St. George's website - do we actually have a venue? even Stewart would find this a difficult hurdle to overcome!
It would be nice to have a representative championships with the likes of Adams playing, but I wonder why the ECF have waited for so long to make monies available, this is sure to mean that a number of leading players will already have made alternative plans.

Nigel Wright

Post by Nigel Wright » Fri May 16, 2008 3:13 pm

Well, if Mr. Adams can't make it, I'm making myself available to play. All I need do now is sit back and wait for the offers to come rolling in... 8)
To Drink or not to Drink, that is the question.

I Drink therefore I am.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Fri May 16, 2008 4:21 pm

As far as I'm concerned and as far as I'm aware, the 2008 British Championships in Liverpool proceed. I certainly hope so: alot of time, effort and will power has been invested in the matter to date.

Obviously the abrupt resignation of the previous Tournament Director was unhelpful. Forewarning and a contingency plan would have been a more professional way to proceed, even by the normal business standards of the ECF. But these are problems to be managed and overcome, not dwelt upon now. Stewart Reuben has been appointed; he has my confidence; and we are working closely together. There is much to be done; and we will have to ensure it is done. Alas, that means a greater burden on fewer volunteers. But we'll do our best.

The venue is secured. St George's Hall remains available. I even have a sponsor for certain things lined up. A contract between ECF & the Liverpool Culture Company should in my opinion have been signed by now, principally to confirm matters of detail (opening times etc) are agreed between both parties. I pointed the original TD in that direction last November, and again in January. Apparently it has not been pursued. It's a formal matterr, so there is still time. ECF is not very efficient; but nor is the Culture Company in fairness.

I understand Stewart Reuben is addressing matters outstanding on accommodation. We were in the middle of complex negotiations when the previous TD quit. That has not improved local confidence in the ECF as a reliable business partner, it must be admitted. But we are working to repair relationships as best we can.

When I negotiated locally three years ago for this triennial of events in Liverpool, it was in the joyful hope that we might give a shot in the arm to British chess. £500,000 says we are trying. We have had two years so far of fabulous chess; the EU event in September will be wonderful too. But the 'jewel in the crown' was always to be the full British Championships, run by the ECF in St George's Hall. I could not anticipate three years ago the events of the past three weeks. My normal professional experience leaves me unprepared for such things. But my commitment to doing 'a good thing' for British chess, to give something back when I have the chance, remains undimmed.

You will be welcome in Liverpool; you will enjoy yourselves; and we will have a fine British Championships. With many others, I'll do my best to ensure that is the case.

David Robertson
Atticus CC
Chair, Liverpool Chess Foundation

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Fri May 16, 2008 10:15 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:I know that Stewart has taken on the British and it probably correct for him to be taking over at this time, an experienced hand on the tiller and all that. Whether, it is a good move for Stewart is more open to question, his health is worse than David's, and frankly with everything that is going on I cannot see this job making it any better. I hope everything goes well, but Professor Robertson spoke of contracts not being signed and given that there is no mention of the Championships on the St. George's website - do we actually have a venue? even Stewart would find this a difficult hurdle to overcome!
It would be nice to have a representative championships with the likes of Adams playing, but I wonder why the ECF have waited for so long to make monies available, this is sure to mean that a number of leading players will already have made alternative plans.
You mean as in playing at the Simpsons-in-the Strand tournament organised by Raymond Keene which inconveniently clashes with the British late rounds? Adams, Speelman and Wells are already signed by for the London event.

RichardPalliser

Post by RichardPalliser » Sat May 17, 2008 12:41 pm

Superb work, David. We're all very fortunate to have you and Stewart rescuing the event at such a time.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon May 19, 2008 11:58 am

I appreciate that often things are written in haste, but it seems to me that there are a number of inconsistencies relating to the British Championships.
1. Professor Robertson says the venue is secure and St. George's Hall is still available. Surely, this is by definition incorrect, because if the venue is available, then I could book it for my knitting circle and it would not be secured for the ECF. If on the other hand the venue is secured for the ECF, then it will be unavailable and we will have to mind our knitting elsewhere. I am not trying to tie people up with semantics, but I still find it worrying that there is still no mention of the British Championships on the St. George's Hall website (following links from the ECF site).

2. The information on the ECF Championship website still gives David Welch as the Congress Manager and also states that there are no conditions to Grandmasters (contradicting the headlines on the ECF website)

3. Quoting from "A note to leading players", Grandmasters will receive a fee of £x, If applications exceed £y, selection will have to be made on the basis of rating and first come first served. Surely, it has to be one or the other?

I am not going to be at the British Championships, because I an playing in an event in Tromso; I prefer the Arctic Circle to Liverpool. I am not making these comments to be difficult, I am posing these questions because I have some concerns for the British and the event is absolutely central to the future prospects of British chess

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon May 19, 2008 12:51 pm

I've no idea what you are talking about, Matthew.

I could not have made it clearer. St George's Hall remains reserved for the exclusive use of the ECF between July 27th and Aug 9th. Your knitting circle would need to cast off elsewhere between those dates.

St George's Hall is heavily used for various events throughout this year. The website for the Hall does not, to my knowledge, promote those events.

Whatever other problems beyond my reach have befallen the British Championships, the supply of St George's Hall as a fabulous playing venue is not one of them. I have secured that without cost to the ECF, as agreed; it remains secured. The ECF needs to sign a formal contract simply, as far as I'm aware, to confirm details on opening hours and the like. Stewart Reuben now has that in hand.

Other matters are not in my hands. I'd have thought ECF people might have amended their own website details by now; doesn't need a Council decision, surely :) And we struggle as best we can to repair relationships with local partners disturbed by the sudden exit of the TD; and to overcome matters left unaddressed. Stewart Reuben and I are doing our best. Do help if you can

David Robertson
Liverpool, not Tromso

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon May 19, 2008 1:15 pm

David,
As I mentioned earlier, the visit Liverpool website does promote the EU Chess Championships and the 4Nations Junior Chess(Glorney Cup) along with numerous other events. I find it strange that there is no mention of the British Chess Championships. I have to believe you when you say everything is in order, but if we still await the official contract being signed then it would be nice to see something in print.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon May 19, 2008 2:56 pm

Matthew

OK, I get your point now. Apparently the Brits don't appear listed in one of the websites you've accessed. This is possible. The civic authorities here can be frustrating; they don't always communicate with each other. So different civic agencies' websites can have different info, and different omissions! I've been pointing this out to them since last October :(

But rest assured: the championships are booked into St George's Hall. The dates were agreed over a year ago.

David

NevilleB

Post by NevilleB » Mon May 19, 2008 8:45 pm

I have not seen St George's Hall, but all reports from players from last September were glowing.

If anyone wishes to support the Federation, one easy step to make is to actually enter the British Championships this year. I put all the details in the Congress Diary section.

http://forum.bcfservices.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=258.

Twenty six separate tournaments covering a wide variety of wide variety of playing strengths, time limits and ages so there really is something for everybody.

Neville Belinfante
Congress Secretary

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue May 20, 2008 5:16 pm

I had not noticed this particular thread flowering.
In response to Matthew Turner, I have always wanted to be able to write the following:
The rumours of my demise have been much exaggerated. (Mark Twain).
My health is better than it was in 2001. At that time it took me 25 minutes to walk to Richmond Station from my home. Now it takes 15 minutes. I was getting to be a bit at a loose end, since I am no longer winning as well at poker and have no writing projects on the game. Taking up more responsibilities may be better for my health. Unlike David Welch, I am not aware that stress affects my body, possibly because I let off steam immediately I am annoyed.
There was a list of forthcoming events I saw for Liverpool 2008. It included the British, but not the EU Championship.
Ironically I have now signed the form for the venue for Torquay 2009. I have not been able to do so for St George's Hall because I have not been able to get hold of a copy.
The great problem in Liverpool is affordable accommodation, especially for people requiring single rooms. Liverpool is very unusual in the ease with which it is possible to travel by train to the venue. So far the best I have come up with is single room en suite university accommodation immediately opposite the venue at £37.60 per night.
Indeed the Staunton Memorial had attracted several of our leading players. It seems impossible to avoid the clash with the British. It was the NEWLY DESIGNATED Board, prior to my being on it, that agreed the funding for leading players for this year. The amount would never have been adequate to attract our two leading players.
I had not noticed the ridiculous note on the British Championships page that contradicts the comments on the front page of the ECF website. Sophie has only just returned from holiday and she will no doubt correct that.
Stewart Reuben

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed May 21, 2008 9:39 am

Stewart, Great news that your health has improved - you were certainly looking perky at the 4NCL. I am pleased things are signed up for Torquay, that is pretty local to me so I hope to be there.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Wed May 21, 2008 10:12 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:Liverpool is very unusual in the ease with which it is possible to travel by train to the venue.
Yes, but think how much easier the British Championships would be for you to get to if they were held in London (or even Richmond - last held there in 1912, when a 'great predecessor' of mine won the title).

I note that the championships are to be held in Torquay in 2009, so the number of years since the championships were last held in London will be up to 61 (and counting - well, I'm counting anyway). That's a very long time for the nation's capital not to have hosted Britain's blue riband event. 2009 will also mark the 12th anniversary of the championships not being held in the South East of England. I believe I am right in saying that London has not hosted a major, open-to-all tournament since 1994 when the wonderful Lloyds Bank Masters was last played (I suppose it might just be argued that the Ron Banwell Masters of the early 2000s falls into that category). It seems bizarre to note that, during my incumbency as BCM editor, I have on one occasion worked within walking distance of a World Chess Championship match and yet have been an expensive train, plane or even boat ticket away from every British Chess Championship held during the same period.

Excellent news that you are in good health and that the congress is in your capable hands once again.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)