Page 1 of 1
The timing of the resignations
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:35 pm
by andrew martin
Obviously I have been discussing this subject with many of my chess-playing friends and one view put forward is that the resignations were timed to cause maximum disruption and damage. My own opinion is that this is extremely unlikely and I have great respect for all the previous directors.
One fellow mentioned that a triumphant return of the resignees would be possible if the current ECF board collapsed in a heap; that in fact the whole process was tactical opportunism designed solely to undermine and therefore the quickest way to acheive the aim under the circumstances.
What do others think ?
Andrew
Re: The timing of the resignations
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:33 pm
by Mike Gunn
I must admit that I initially thought that it was a political manouver, designed to achieve some underlying aim, but (having read the contributions/ letters from the resigners) I now doubt this. Given the concerted nature of the resignations it now seems to me that they were just trying to make a point in the most forceful way possible (and that was the sole aim).
Generally, resigners/splitters are not well thought of by those that remain - that seems to be the lesson of history from the Mensheviks to the SDP. Although many people expressed regret at the resignations, I think I was the only person who asked them to reconsider.
Re: The timing of the resignations
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:08 pm
by andrew martin
Yes, really dumps you in it, doesn't it ?
Re: The timing of the resignations
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:47 pm
by Greg Breed
Andrew, it never takes long for the conspiracy theorists to emerge from the woodwork does it?
Ernie Lazenby wrote:..provided we are transparent when we attack someone.
That sounds very cloak and dagger. I'm sure the secret services and armed forces would appreciate that kind of technology

Re: The timing of the resignations
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:09 pm
by Greg Breed
Have a think on it Ernie and you'll soon see what it's about. I understood your meaning, I was just making a joke out of your... use of words.

Re: The timing of the resignations
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:31 pm
by Greg Breed
On the subject of the timing of resignations I think it's honourable to do it when you realise you can't stave off mate...

Re: The timing of the resignations
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:28 pm
by Dr Andrew Cula
Greg Breed wrote:On the subject of the timing of resignations I think it's honourable to do it when you realise you can't stave off mate...

I enjoy seeing the mate on the board.
Re: The timing of the resignations
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:29 pm
by Neil Graham
andrew martin wrote:Obviously I have been discussing this subject with many of my chess-playing friends and one view put forward is that the resignations were timed to cause maximum disruption and damage. My own opinion is that this is extremely unlikely and I have great respect for all the previous directors.
One fellow mentioned that a triumphant return of the resignees would be possible if the current ECF board collapsed in a heap; that in fact the whole process was tactical opportunism designed solely to undermine and therefore the quickest way to acheive the aim under the circumstances.
What do others think ?
Andrew
I have spoken to a number of people who attended the Council meeting; no one can understand why the resignations came in the manner they did. As I said on another thread what has occurred is now immaterial; the ECF now has to concentrate on picking up the pieces and getting the Board back into some sort of shape. For those people who believe the time is ripe for change, they will now have to find candidates to challenge for board positions with a cogent set of policies in time for October.
Re: The timing of the resignations
Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:07 am
by Charles W. Wood
Neil Graham wrote:andrew martin wrote:Obviously I have been discussing this subject with many of my chess-playing friends and one view put forward is that the resignations were timed to cause maximum disruption and damage. My own opinion is that this is extremely unlikely and I have great respect for all the previous directors.
One fellow mentioned that a triumphant return of the resignees would be possible if the current ECF board collapsed in a heap; that in fact the whole process was tactical opportunism designed solely to undermine and therefore the quickest way to acheive the aim under the circumstances.
What do others think ?
Andrew
I have spoken to a number of people who attended the Council meeting; no one can understand why the resignations came in the manner they did. As I said on another thread what has occurred is now immaterial; the ECF now has to concentrate on picking up the pieces and getting the Board back into some sort of shape. For those people who believe the time is ripe for change, they will now have to find candidates to challenge for board positions with a cogent set of policies in time for October.
I hope that the ECF Council meeting in October has a good raft of candidates for each of the posts each willing to work with whoever the council votes onto the board. Stability is important for the next few months. I believe that most things will be covered with as much care as is possible under this current board. Good luck to the British and I wish for a end to a war that has gone on for too long.