Page 1 of 2

Re: Platinum Membership

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:15 am
by Adam Raoof
A great post - thanks Bob!

1) Are you prepared to become a platinum member of the ECF? - Yes
2) If Yes what are you prepared to pay for this level of membership? - £50 to £100 a year

I would expect Platinum members to get benefits above and beyond the usual chess benefits, similar to the benefits you get from being a 'Friend of' organisations.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/ ... andworstme

Off the top of my head I can think of a few unusual ideas we could introduce;

- one year free trials with various providers such as chessworld or ICC
- special events such as a dinner with the GMs at the British
- access to the VIP commentary at the Classic

I am sure you can think of things you'd like to see. Name them!

Re: Platinum Membership

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:20 am
by Alex Holowczak
1) Are you prepared to become a platinum member of the ECF? - Yes
2) If Yes what are you prepared to pay for this level of membership? - £50

Maybe the price of Platinum membership should be a minimum of £50. If you choose to give £100, then you still could.

Re: Platinum Membership

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:43 am
by David Sedgwick
Platinum Membership isn't a new concept, is it? It's the equivalent of Full Direct Membership, as opposed to Standard Membership, now.

As this currently costs £52 and will cost £54 for 2011-12, I certainly don't have a problem with the suggested figure of £50 for 2012-13.

I presume that Platinum Members will receive at least the same benefits as Full Direct Members currently receive.

Re: Platinum Membership

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:47 am
by LozCooper
Maybe a further perk could be to be allowed to sit in on an ECF board meeting :lol:

Re: Platinum Membership

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:49 am
by Paul Cooksey
David Sedgwick wrote:I presume that Platinum Members will receive at least the same benefits as Full Direct Members currently receive.
On the original question, I would be more likely to donate to a charity.

But David, forgive my ignorance, are you talking about things like diaries and yearbooks? If so, I have to admit these are things I think create cost for the ECF without adding a lot of value.

Re: Platinum Membership

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:51 am
by Adam Raoof
LozCooper wrote:Maybe a further perk could be to be allowed to sit in on an ECF board meeting :lol:
I think you could auction that place, the demand would be so high...

Re: Platinum Membership

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:02 pm
by Kevin Thurlow
"Maybe a further perk could be to be allowed to sit in on an ECF board meeting "

OK, I'll bite - did you omit the word "not"?

The proposed platinum rate looks reasonable.

Re: Platinum Membership

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:10 pm
by David Sedgwick
Paul Cooksey wrote:But David, forgive my ignorance, are you talking about things like diaries and yearbooks? If so, I have to admit these are things I think create cost for the ECF without adding a lot of value.
The SCCU Executive Committee discussed this a couple of years ago. The consensus was that we'd happily see the diary scrapped, but that we continued to value the yearbook. That's also my personal view.

I didn't think anyone cared about the diary - until last year. Then the ECF didn't print enough and there were lots of complaints about people not being able to get hold of one. There was at least thread about the matter on this Forum.

Re: Platinum Membership

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:36 pm
by Paul Cooksey
David Sedgwick wrote:The SCCU Executive Committee discussed this a couple of years ago. The consensus was that we'd happily see the diary scrapped, but that we continued to value the yearbook. That's also my personal view.
I'll be honest, I don't think I have ever looked at a yearbook. Do you think if the yearbook was not included in any membership level, those who like it would be prepared to pay full cost?

Re: Platinum Membership

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:42 pm
by Alex Holowczak
If the ECF lost money on the Yearbook/Diary, I'm sure they wouldn't be produced. I don't see why the information contained within the Yearbook can't find a permanent residence on the website, but if it's making money...

Re: Platinum Membership

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:42 pm
by Adam Raoof
Publications like the Yearbook (which would be the natural by-product of an accurate website, but which will itself always be out of date) and the Grading List (ditto) can be produced print-on-demand, with no need to store large numbers in Hastings and still make a profit. The diary is a significant cost. I agree with Paul, I don't see the added value of these items for members. I would rather see that money saved and put towards generating new events or beefing up ECF competitions such as the Grand Prix.

Re: Platinum Membership

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:47 pm
by Adam Raoof
Alex Holowczak wrote:If the ECF lost money on the Yearbook/Diary, I'm sure they wouldn't be produced.
This kind of straightforward thinking has no place in the modern ECF. It is perfectly possible for the ECF to continue to throw money at projects with an immeasurable worth almost indefinitely until someone stops them.

Sorry, I mean us.

Re: Platinum Membership

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:49 pm
by Paul Cooksey
Alex Holowczak wrote:If the ECF lost money on the Yearbook/Diary, I'm sure they wouldn't be produced. .
Not quite so simple in my opinion. Because:
1. It may have hidden cost in office time or volunteer time that would otherwise be spent elsewhere.
2. If it is offered as a benefit, that increases print runs. Effectively a subsidy from within membership.

I don't want to be overly corporate about it, but it is the kind of thing that I think you have to look at outsourcing to understand real cost.

Re: Platinum Membership

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:00 pm
by Alex Holowczak
Paul Cooksey wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:If the ECF lost money on the Yearbook/Diary, I'm sure they wouldn't be produced. .
Not quite so simple in my opinion. Because:
1. It may have hidden cost in office time or volunteer time that would otherwise be spent elsewhere.
2. If it is offered as a benefit, that increases print runs. Effectively a subsidy from within membership.

I don't want to be overly corporate about it, but it is the kind of thing that I think you have to look at outsourcing to understand real cost.
I understand what you mean completely, and I agree with your points.

The staff would be keep their jobs regardless of whether the Yearbook/Diary existed or not. So we get more value for money from the Office by having those things, I reckon.

This is why I think if Yearbook Expenditure is less than Yearbook Income, then it's worthwhile having.

Re: Platinum Membership

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:01 pm
by John Upham
Adam Raoof wrote: - one year free trials with various providers such as chessworld or ICC
This has already happened with ChessCube - the deal was brokered by Andrew Martin as I recall.