Should the ECF accept CJs resignation? - Poll

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
David Sedgwick

Re: Should the ECF accept CJs resignation? - Poll

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:42 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Seriously, if new bodies form and apply for membership, can they send delegates to the AGM?
A new organisation can apply for membership and, if admitted, can send a Representative Member to the AGM (and to the Finance Council). Admission of organisations to membership is usually but not invariably within the remit of the Board.

To quote a recent example, I applied last year (on Malcolm Pein's behalf) for the London Chess Classic to be so admitted.

If you would like to know more, please can I suggest that you read through or search the ECF Rules Handbook at http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... n-2011.pdf

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:55 pm

It is incomprehensible to me that anybody who has the interests of English chess at heart would even propose a poll effectively calling for CJ's resignation if people voted for it. In voluntary organisations it is extremelydisruptive if people step down during the year.
It would be a retrograde step were CJ not to stand for election in October. He has my full confidence.
If Christopher Kreuzer has a problem with being allowed to attend, I will simply offer him a proxy for one of my votes (I do not expect to be there). I have no doubt he has the best wishes of chess at heart.
I have long held that observers, giving adeqauate notice and provided there is space, should be allowed to attend the general meeting of the ECF. This is just as they were allowed to do so in the days of the BCF.
Stewart Reuben

Peter Sharpe

Post by Peter Sharpe » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:59 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
However, in this instance we have an EDCA member, Christopher Kreuzer, who says that he might wish to attend the ECF AGM.
I have known Chris for over 10 years (I have been an EDCA member since 1983) and have played matches against him (he usually wins!), so if he wants to attend the ECF meetings as an EDCA delegate, then that is great and I hope he will be able to follow what has been said at the meetings

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:07 pm

Peter Sharpe wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:
However, in this instance we have an EDCA member, Christopher Kreuzer, who says that he might wish to attend the ECF AGM.
I have known Chris for over 10 years (I have been an EDCA member since 1983) and have played matches against him (he usually wins!), so if he wants to attend the ECF meetings as an EDCA delegate, then that is great and I hope he will be able to follow what has been said at the meetings
Thanks, Peter. I was about to point out that you are also an EDCA member. Alasdair Macleod (who has posted here in the past) is also a member, and is actually on the Executive (unlike me). Not sure if there has ever been a formal delegate sent to ECF AGMs - probably not - though possibly more due to such AGMs being not that interesting to the vast majority of chess players (hopefully no-one will take offence at that).

I would say more, but this thread is really about something else (and I suspect Carl would like to lock this thread like the other one), so probably best brought up in another thread (accessibility issues is something that would be interesting to discuss, but something I'd raise direct with ECF people first, rather than here). Also, still a few months to go until the ECF AGM, I think, so no need to start a new thread right now. (And many thanks to Stewart for his kind offer - I may yet take you up on that!)

Oh, and you have beaten me in a few games, Peter! Remember round one of the EDCA Champs in Luton in 2006? :D

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:45 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Seriously, if new bodies form and apply for membership, can they send delegates to the AGM?
A new organisation can apply for membership and, if admitted, can send a Representative Member to the AGM (and to the Finance Council). Admission of organisations to membership is usually but not invariably within the remit of the Board.

To quote a recent example, I applied last year (on Malcolm Pein's behalf) for the London Chess Classic to be so admitted.

If you would like to know more, please can I suggest that you read through or search the ECF Rules Handbook at http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... n-2011.pdf
The Board can admit Member Leagues and Congresses. Council has to approve Other Organisations and Counties.

I remember when BUCA was admitted to Membership, we became a Member Congress - despite the only event we'd ever run being a League! - and then were transferred to "Other Organisations" at the AGM when Council voted to do so later in the year.
Last edited by Alex Holowczak on Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:23 am

Surely there are people in English chess who can hear the business of the AGM and sign for somebody who is a member of the EDCA? We have just never before considered the logistics.
Stewart Reuben

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:01 am

Some people are gay, get over it. Move on ffs.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:15 am

This thread seems to have run its course as well!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard