Appeal for Board Support

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
IM Jack Rudd

Re: Appeal for Board Support

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:08 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:From memory has'nt David Welch previously stood down from that position before in recent years?
He has, shortly after the resignations from the Regan board. Stewart Reuben took over as congress manager for Liverpool 2008.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:11 pm

The clarification of the time line is helpful - I was one of those who mistakenly thought there had been a later article by the ST too.

Unfortunately, concerns still remain, and in fact run deeper than before. It seems that CJ asked someone else to ask Alex to stop mailing him? That is unforgivable, and I think this makes it rather "challenging" for those who wish to continue to look for good reasons why the Board might be preferring a public silence to supporting its top officials.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:13 pm

Ernie,
A lack of support from on high is a very good reason. But for the venue for next year's British being North Shields I would have walked away many weeks ago.
David Welch has already gone. Without his permission it would be improper for me to give his reasons but people can guess.

Just in case people take the wrong message David's resignation then was on the grounds of ill health. It had nothing to do with the Regan resignations. Indeed he stayed on longer than intended because of the constitutional implications if he had gone at the same time.

My feeling is that the Board should either back me or sack me.

The person to whom I am not to communicate asked me himself.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:30 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:Just in case people take the wrong message David's resignation then was on the grounds of ill health. It had nothing to do with the Regan resignations. Indeed he stayed on longer than intended because of the constitutional implications if he had gone at the same time
I'm saying nothing :roll:

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:33 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:The person to whom I am not to communicate asked me himself.
The total silence from the ECF on some of these matters is getting embarrassing and is not far off reaching CfS levels

Personally I think you should publish all Alex but of course I respect your reasons
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:47 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:... we never learn.
It is a matter of public record that RDK appeared at Sheffield at the personal invitation of CJdM. Recent (by which I mean over a course of a year or more) contacts between the two have also been documented in various places.

Steve Rooney

Post by Steve Rooney » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:57 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Alex McFarlane wrote:The person to whom I am not to communicate asked me himself.
The total silence from the ECF on some of these matters is getting embarrassing and is not far off reaching CfS levels
This is not in any way comparable with the CfS debacle.

Given the explicit threats about legal action in this thread, If I were an unpaid, hard-working ECF official I would not say anything on a public forum and would seek legal advice before making any utterance. I honestly don't see what purpose is being served by this discussion continuing in public, but I am equally confident that some forumites will carry on regardless.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:11 pm

Steve Rooney wrote: I honestly don't see what purpose is being served by this discussion continuing in public
It is happening in public because a senior official has been attacked in public, and because private discussions to help to resolve the matter have gone nowhere, including, apparently, the President asking the person aggrieved not to communicate with him.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:18 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Steve Rooney wrote: I honestly don't see what purpose is being served by this discussion continuing in public
It is happening in public because a senior official has been attacked in public, and because private discussions to help to resolve the matter have gone nowhere, including, apparently, the President asking the person aggrieved not to communicate with him.
Oh, be fair. It also includes demands (in multiple threads) for an apology from the one Board Member who dared stick his head above the parapet. In that sort of climate, I'm not surprised that there is silence otherwise. I have sympathy for Alex McF and Lara, but I would have more sympathy for Alex McF if it had been just the open letter and not the virtual campaigning for support seen here after that open letter was published. That's part of the reason I stayed out of the thread for so long, and I'm beginning to regret posting here. I'm going to resolve to post less in this thread and hope that things can now get sorted out privately (again).

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:25 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Oh, be fair. It also includes demands (in multiple threads) for an apology from the one Board Member who dared stick his head above the parapet.
Probably because said person made a misleading statement and was unwilling to apologise.
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: In that sort of climate, I'm not surprised that there is silence otherwise. I have sympathy for Alex McF and Lara, but I would have more sympathy for Alex McF if it had been just the open letter and not the virtual campaigning for support seen here after that open letter was published. That's part of the reason I stayed out of the thread for so long, and I'm beginning to regret posting here. I'm going to resolve to post less in this thread and hope that things can now get sorted out privately (again).
If I shared your optimism that things will be sorted out privately, I would walk away, but I don't; and as the thread has worn on, I have actually become more convinced that it is one of the more important ones on this Forum. Do keep reading, even if you don't want to post.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:27 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:How can things get sorted out when someone refuses to communicate even in private. No resolution acceptable to all is possible in those circumstances. This ongoing saga has all the hallmarks of a 'night of the long knives'.
...and Ernie activates Godwin's Law. Congratulations, Ernie, you have lost the argument. (To whom is not yet clear.)

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:No reference to Hitler or the Nazis intended so whats your point.
You mentioned the Night of the Long Knives. How is that not a Nazi reference?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: Oh, be fair. It also includes demands (in multiple threads) for an apology from the one Board Member who dared stick his head above the parapet.
Probably because said person made a misleading statement and was unwilling to apologise.
That doesn't excuse following someone around to multiple threads and raising the off-topic matter there or in completely unrelated threads.

1) "I object strongly to Stewart's post and have already complained officially about it."

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 127#p73127

2) "Thank you Stewart. I'm sure that I will get the personal apology fairly soon.

Since you acted so quickly I shall only be seeking minimal damages :twisted:"

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 166#p73166

3) [About PR] "I assume that the funding to do so will come out of the Marketing budget. :lol:"

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 257#p73257

4) "But is it not a wise move to do so when Board members leave the Federation open to law suits. Would members want their funds squandered in that way now as it, I believe, has been in the past?"

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 314#p73314

5) "Have you lost me email address? If so you could pm me your apology."

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 300#p73565

Complain officially, fine, but don't then badger someone in public for an apology and make veiled (and not so veiled) references to lawsuits.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:45 pm

Let us try and keep to the point please people
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:49 pm

Ouch now even Mr. Giddins has chipped in but only after reading this forum of course :lol:

http://stevegiddinschessblog.wordpress.com/
Cheers
Carl Hibbard