British Championships Tenders sought

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Lara Barnes

British Championships Tenders sought

Post by Lara Barnes » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: British Chess Championships North Shields 2012

The Federation invites tenders for producing the following at the above event which is to take place at The Parks Leisure Centre from Sunday 22 July – Saturday 4 August 2012. The main play is from Monday 23rd July- Friday 3rd August.

• Daily bulletin and .pgn files
• Commentary on the live games
• Bookstall
• Junior coaching

Any bids should be in writing and should be sent to the Federation Offices at Battle in a sealed envelope marked clearly “Championship Bid” and by an accompanying email to The Congress Manager and should arrive no later than Monday 16th January 2012 and clearly state the terms of the prospective tender. Any bids not received by that date will be rejected.

A sub-committee will consider each bid and will advise all parties in writing with letters or emails posted no later than Monday 23rd January 2012 whether their bid has been successful. The bidding procedure is confidential, the Federation may accept/reject any bid without assigning a reason and will not enter into any correspondence relating to the bidding procedure.

Yours faithfully.

Lara Barnes
Manager of The British Championship 2012

[email protected]
Last edited by Lara Barnes on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Carl Hibbard

Re: British Chamionships Tenders sought

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:07 pm

Web site?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Lara Barnes

Post by Lara Barnes » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:14 pm

RE Web site: We need that quicker than January so I am still trying to call in local favours and get it done for free. However, if anyone wants to tender an offer they are welcome to do so.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:16 pm

Since I know the shocking normal expenses/costs claimed on all of these an ITT is a good idea
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:48 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:Since I know the shocking normal expenses/costs claimed on all of these an ITT is a good idea
Can you correct the spelling error in this header please Carl?!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:01 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:Since I know the shocking normal expenses/costs claimed on all of these an ITT is a good idea
Can you correct the spelling error in this header please Carl?!
Ok
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Andrew Walker

Re: British Championships Tenders sought

Post by Andrew Walker » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:27 pm

What's an ITT?

Matt Harrison

Post by Matt Harrison » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:28 pm

ITT = Invitation To Tender

Andrew Walker

Post by Andrew Walker » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:29 pm

Thanks Matt

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:32 pm

Lara Barnes wrote:RE Web site: so I am still trying to call in local favours and get it done for free.
Does this desire have anything to do with the previous provider not wishing to continue?

I am curious to know why it is hoped to have an excellent, dynamic web site provided for free whereas other service providers are being invited to tender on a commercial basis?

Not sure I understand this as yet...
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:45 pm

John Upham wrote:Not sure I understand this as yet...
I think the point is that none of the things mentioned above were done for free last year, whereas it is my understanding that the website was free last year.

Perhaps - I don't know - if Lara's hopes do not come to fruition, the webmaster role will be put out to tender too.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:53 pm

I think Alex H is basically correct but there is also a problem with the time scale involved with a tendering process. A website is needed now.

For reasons that are obvious I was not overly active following the 2011 event and the appointment of Managers.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:01 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote: A website is needed now.
If funds were available from event sponsorship then I would recommend that the 2011 and prior web manager be invited to tender on the basis that he could provided the service on a commercial basis. After all, a template has already been developed and can easily be re-used for 2012.

It would be sensible to use funds otherwise earmarked for players conditions to provide an excellent site delivered by a web professional than perhaps one or two extra titled players.

Of course, the more titled players the better and maybe CJdM / LB / AM could provide advice on where they feel sponsors funds are best spent.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:08 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote: I think the point is that none of the things mentioned above were done for free last year, whereas it is my understanding that the website was free last year.
I know that the arbiters and other control team members get contributions to their expenses while at the British. Did this not apply also to the webmaster, who as far as I recall, was on-site for the duration of the event?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:25 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:I know that the arbiters and other control team members get contributions to their expenses while at the British. Did this not apply also to the webmaster, who as far as I recall, was on-site for the duration of the event?
I think the arbiters get expenses + £x/day, where x is such that, given the hours they put in, it's still very much slave labour.

I believe the webmaster got the expenses, but not £x/day.