5th English Seniors Chess Championship 2012

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Ken Norman

Re: 5th English Seniors Chess Championship 2012

Post by Ken Norman » Sat May 05, 2012 12:57 pm

The simplest solution to holding the 2012 English Seniors Championship would be for Adam Raoof to include the tournament in this years London Classic. We could then concentrate on arranging the 2013 championship.

As both Paul Habershon and Ian Thompson have pointed out September, October and November have a large number of Chess events. Paignton and Guernsey attract a large number of senior players and so should be treated as senior events when scheduling the English Seniors Championship.
Also the World Seniors Championship is held during October and November. This year the World Seniors is being held in Greece between 3rd and 14th November.

The 2013 World Seniors Championship is being held in Riva Del Garda, Italy between 23rd October and 4th November 2013. The idea of playing chess on the shores of Lake Garda is very attractive.

The obvious time of year to hold the English Seniors Championship would be January, February or March. One would have to avoid the dates of Gibraltar and the possible dates of the European Seniors Team Championship. The Dresden bid intends holding the Team Championship between 12th and 20th February 2013. So until the ECU decides who will host the 2013 European Seniors Team Championship we should avoid those dates.

I do not mind whether the English Seniors Championship is held in Torquay, Bournemouth, Weymouth or Scarborough as long as it is in a comfortable hotel with good playing conditions.

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Sat May 05, 2012 12:59 pm

Whats wrong with June ? School age persons are out of sight. Weather might be reasonable.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Sun May 06, 2012 4:00 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Paul Habershon wrote: A possible emergency solution this year, giving more notice than September, would be for the Beacon Seniors to host the event, but I know neither the opinion of the organisers nor the available capacity.
plenty of advance publicity from the ECF should establish an event of some prestige.
Details of past Beacon events are here
http://www.chessdevon.co.uk/HTML/congre ... s/base.htm

It's held in a hotel function room, also used for the Easter WECU event. For the latter, the capacity limit is set at around 100.

According to http://www.chessdevon.co.uk/ (scroll about half way down the page) - details of the Beacon Seniors - "To ensure pristine conditions, entries will be restricted to the first 90."

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Thu May 10, 2012 6:45 pm

Just to update everyone on this, Bob Jones has sent a reply to people within the ECF about the posibility of the English Seniors' Championship being merged into the Beacon Seniors event. It wouldn't be right of me to reveal what was written in the message, I just wanted everyone to know that he is aware of the suggestion.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu May 10, 2012 10:54 pm

I was also able to make Neil Graham aware over the course of the weekend.

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:12 am

Still no definite date or venue for this event? It would be good if there were entry forms available at the British Seniors Championship, starting Saturday 28th July at North Shields.

Ken Norman

Post by Ken Norman » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:59 am

The European Chess Union Newsletter has published the results of a number of Seniors Championships that have been held in 2012.

The AZERBAIJANI SENIORS CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP has been won by
Alamdar Mammadov.

The BULGARIAN SENIORS CHESS CHAMPION has been won by Petar Arnaudov.

The FINNISH SENIORS CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP has been won by
Kaj Kivipelto.

The HUNGARIAN SENIORS CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP has been won by
Emil Szalanczy.

The ROMANIAN SENIORS CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP has been won by
Mihai Suba.

I wonder who will win the 2012 English Seniors Championship?

In view of the lack of information about a 2012 tournament my prediction is that it will be won by Mr. N.O.BODY.

I further predict that Mr. N.O.BODY will win the 2013, 2014 and 2015 tournaments.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:37 am

Oh dear. Is there really not going to be a 2012 English Seniors Championship?