Nominations for October 2008 AGM??

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Ben Purton

Re: Nominations for October 2008 AGM??

Post by Ben Purton » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:57 pm

What ever happened to the one member one vote thing? why didnt this pass, what was the valid moral reasoning for this.
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:56 am

Ben Purton wrote:What ever happened to the one member one vote thing? why didnt this pass, what was the valid moral reasoning for this.
Ben - It didnt pass because no-one proposed it.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:22 pm

Which is a joke Sean......What do people do at these things, bar take a laizzez faire attitude and drink tea.
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:33 pm

Ben Purton wrote:Which is a joke Sean......What do people do at these things, bar take a laizzez faire attitude and drink tea.
According to Richard Haddrell :

"IT WAS NOW 3.34 pm
by the slower of the two wall clocks, no doubt the one set to Brummagem time, and the meeting adjourned for tea." :D

No doubt, scones and cream cakes were served by "Young Mr. Grace" :lol:

"You're all doing very well!" he said following the decision to remove the EC Forum! :oops:
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:40 pm

At AGMs the same cast ask the same questions every year. This seems to apply to discussion groups too!
JustinHorton wrote:I wonder if any of the officals involved may be of a different mind?
Google '"well-lunched" chess' to see what I mean.

If one doesn't want the Panglossian lipstick removed, don't read what David writes. It's quite simple.

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:19 pm

Ben Purton wrote:Which is a joke Sean......What do people do at these things, bar take a laizzez faire attitude and drink tea.
Ben who is your ECF delegate?
Did he or did you contact him before this meeting?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:33 pm

Simon Spivack wrote:
JustinHorton wrote:I wonder if any of the officals involved may be of a different mind?
Google '"well-lunched" chess' to see what I mean.

If one doesn't want the Panglossian lipstick removed, don't read what David writes. It's quite simple.
I'm struggling to discern the meaning of this post, I must confess...
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:53 pm

It really isn't very hard: just reverse the negatives (if you can). So it reads:

"If you want the unadorned truth, read (me)" :)

David

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:37 pm

David Robertson wrote:It really isn't very hard: just reverse the negatives (if you can).
David
Indeed; at times it is necessary to write, pour encourager les autres. :-)

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:23 pm

Steve Henderson wrote:
Ben who is your ECF delegate?
Did he or did you contact him before this meeting?

Hi , Ive been told Nigel Dennis represents Berkshire. London League Im unsure, aswell as Berkshire league. Im from SCCU if this helps.

No I didnt contact them, I just assumed that a petition going around etc that it was something which would be put to vote.

I think that an online voting system for certain things would be a great help to making members happy. You can get stronly regulated online polls/voting system. In our one, you could just have "one membership number , one vote" Voting fraud would be alot harder in such a smaller system.

Ben

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:03 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Greg Breed wrote:
Alasdair MacLeod wrote:Although the link has disappeared from the ECF website, it deserves to be ‘advertised’ on as many other English chess websites as possible.
So the link has disappeared - why?

Yes it's no longer the ECF Official Forum but shouldn't it now be treated as any other Chess related weblink and therefore still be advertised on the ECF website like many others?
The use of the "bcfservices" domain was felt as still being a link to the ECF as the live games and grading site are also there

I have moved to a new domain now although the grading site will stay where it is

I may remove the link from grading to forum later this evening as well
I have now removed the "final" link from the grading site to this forum as well
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:03 pm

I wonder if the penny will eventually drop that this forum will become the prime source for information about chess in England and therefore the first port of call.

I'm curious to know if a directive has been issued forbiding ECF officials from contributing?

Obviously Andrew wants to promote good news and this forum is the most effective way of communicating.

If a news feed or portal is ever implemented on the official ECF site then that could be useful also.

I've noticed that "the other forum" has gone very quiet : is this normal?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:50 pm

<I'm curious to know if a directive has been issued forbiding ECF officials from contributing?>

We've recently had contributions from Stewart Reuben, Chris Majer, Andrew Martin and John Philpott so we're not doing too badly.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:24 pm

John Upham wrote:I've noticed that "the other forum" has gone very quiet : is this normal?
Do you mean the Atticus forum? If so, it has. There's a reason too; the quiet before the storm. I'm observing self-imposed omerta while a serious dispute of explosive importance works its way through formal channels. I've been asked not to carpet-bomb the offending parties with blogging until all avenues have been exhausted. I've agreed for the greater good, not least because I'm involved (wouldn't you just know it :roll: ). But the clock is ticking, and my fingers are itching...watch this space - or more precisely, that space :)

David
Atticus CC