Page 1 of 8

Nominations for October 2008 AGM??

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:51 am
by John Upham
Is anyone aware of who are the nominees for the October 2008 ECF AGM?

I'm aware of at least one post that is set to be contested.

Maybe this information does not have to be in the public prior to a certain date?

Can't see anything on the ECF site that answers this.

John

Re: Nominations for October 2008 AGM??

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:11 am
by Carl Hibbard
John Upham wrote:Is anyone aware of who are the nominees for the October 2008 ECF AGM?

I'm aware of at least one post that is set to be contested.

Maybe this information does not have to be public before a certain date?

Can't see anything on the ECF site that answers this.

John
The closest information I can find is here:-

http://www.bcf.org.uk/organisation/meet ... _jul08.htm

Which says:-

To be eligible for election, nominations with the required level of support, must be received at the ECF Office, The Watch Oak, Chain Lane, Battle, East Sussex TN33 0YD no later than 13:30 on Wednesday 10 September 2008.

So must now be known

Re: Nominations for October 2008 AGM??

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:04 pm
by John Upham
OK chaps, here they are : :wink:

Nominations for Election at the ECF AGM 2008

The following candidates have been nominated. Elections will take place at the Annual General Meeting on 18 October in Birmingham.
Post Nominee Nominator
President Gerry F Walsh Peter J B Wilson (Director of Marketing)
Chief Executive Chris E Majer Himself as incumbent
Director of Finance No nomination -
Director of International Chess Stewart Reuben Himself as incumbent
Director of International Chess Peter J B Wilson Cyril F W Johnson (Director of Home Chess)
Director of Junior Chess & Education Peter W Purland Himself as incumbent
Director of Marketing Peter J B Wilson Francis Bowers (Representative Member of a County), Robert Gurney (Direct Members Representative)
Director of Home Chess Cyril F W Johnson Himself as incumbent
Non-Executive Director Alan C Martin Himself as incumbent
Non-Executive Director John R Wickham Himself as incumbent
FIDE Delegate Gerry F Walsh Himself as incumbent
Chairman of the Finance Committee Mike J Adams John Philpott (Chairman of Governance Committee)
Chairman of the Governance Committee John A Philpott Mike Adams (Chairman of the Finance Committee)
Finance Committee Member Ray A Clark Mike Adams (Chairman of the Finance Committee)
Finance Committee Member Alan C Martin Gerry F Walsh (President)
Finance Committee Member John A Philpott Mike Adams (Chairman of the Finance Committee)
Finance Committee Member Ian W Reynolds Mike Adams (Chairman of the Finance Committee)
Governance Committee Member Richard J Haddrell John Philpott (Chairman of Governance Committee)
Governance Committee Member Andrew T Leadbetter John Philpott (Chairman of Governance Committee)
Governance Committee Member John L Paines John Philpott (Chairman of Governance Committee)

Re: Nominations for October 2008 AGM??

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:09 pm
by andrew martin
So this means Robert Richmond is not standing again I guess.

Re: Nominations for October 2008 AGM??

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:33 pm
by Sean Hewitt
How can Peter Wilson be standing for two drectorships? If that's allowed, it shouldnt be!

Re: Nominations for October 2008 AGM??

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:25 pm
by John Upham
Sean Hewitt wrote:How can Peter Wilson be standing for two drectorships? If that's allowed, it shouldnt be!
Maybe the rules allow for one person to hold as many positions as they like? Maybe no more than three...?

I guess John Philpott could enlighten us on this query.

If the Director of Finance is not filled what is the impact?

Re: Nominations for October 2008 AGM??

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:06 pm
by Steve Henderson
So Robert Richmond is not standing??

Is he getting out before the Chess For Schools project crashes?

Re: Nominations for October 2008 AGM??

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:55 pm
by John Upham
Steve Henderson wrote:So Robert Richmond is not standing??

Is he getting out before the Chess For Schools project crashes?
Mystic Megs says :

I've gazed into my crystal balls and wish to make an exciting prediction :

I can see a man from the North East... :shock:

He moves in mysterious ways.... :roll:

Wait a minute....Yes! ...I can see that he has some very good news indeed :D .

I suspect that this news will happen just before the AGM. :wink:

All is in hand : have no fears! :lol:

Re: Nominations for October 2008 AGM??

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:07 pm
by andrew martin
Something is in hand,that's for sure.

Re: Nominations for October 2008 AGM??

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:40 am
by Steve Henderson
andrew martin wrote:Something is in hand,that's for sure.
LOL - prey tells us more Andrew :lol:

Only 249,980 sets to deliver now :shock: that a lots of sets! How many months has it been now :?: :?:

Be interesting to see how many sets the ECF can get out between now and Christmas :mrgreen:

Looks like the crew of the ECF Enterprise are running on silent mode again :roll:

Re: Nominations for October 2008 AGM??

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:50 am
by Laurie Roberts
It really irks me that as an ECF member I have no individual say in these elections which are decided, instead, by block votes of clubs/leagues.

Why on earth can't the candidates put out manifestos and allow people to vote. That way there'd be more applicants for posts. At present, there's no point in standing if you're not in with the right people

Re: Nominations for October 2008 AGM??

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:13 pm
by Sean Hewitt
John Upham wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:How can Peter Wilson be standing for two drectorships? If that's allowed, it shouldnt be!
Maybe the rules allow for one person to hold as many positions as they like? Maybe no more than three...?
Apparently, no one can fill more than one director position - its in the rules. They can though stand for more than one directorship (go figure that logic!).

Peter Wilson has emailed me to say that he really wants to be International Director. If he is elected, then he will withdraw as a candidate for the Marketing position. I post below my response to him
Peter,

I have not questioned the fact that you have been nominated for two posts. I have said that it shouldnt be allowed (although I accept that, perversely, it is).

Directors should act always in the best interests of the company. You do not appear to me to be doing that. In fact, it seems that by standing for both roles you are attempting to ride two horses for purely selfish means - attempting to stand for the International role safe in the knowledge that your seat on the board is secure in any event.

I believe that you should do the correct thing and withdraw your nomination for one of the posts. Which one is of course entirely up to you. If you dont then I believe that this reflects badly upon you and I should certainly vote against you for both posts as you would have demonstrated to me that you are someone who is clearly not putting the interests of the ECF first.

Regards,

Sean
I would urge all voters to vote against Mr Wilson for both roles if he pursues his dual candidate strategy. If he is prepared to leave the ECF without a Marketing Director in the event of his election as International Director, we may as well not have him in the role even if Stewart Reuben wins that vote!

Re: Nominations for October 2008 AGM??

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:15 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Why with the Chess for Schools project still in progress would you want to move roles?

I used the word "secret" in a sarcastic manner before, clearly however the status of this project is not open for general discussion at this time

:roll:

Re: Nominations for October 2008 AGM??

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:46 pm
by Peter Turner
I wish to put on record that I agree with everything expressed by Martin. To challenge the International Director, who took over in quite difficult circumstances and kept 'the show on the road' and I believe was successful in getting some sponsorship, is not appropriate. I wish Stewart every success.

Re: Nominations for October 2008 AGM??

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:52 pm
by andrew martin
I am not especially knowledgable about ECF procedures. Can these nominations be rejected,or if there is only one applicant for any given post,does this automatically mean the applicant gets the job ?

I spoke briefly to Stewart Reuben this morning and he seemed surprised that the Finance Directorship had not been re-applied for. Is that post really vacant?