ECF: One member, One Vote

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
JustinHorton

Re: ECF: One member, One Vote

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:41 pm

John Upham wrote:
Ben Purton wrote: my "bad"
Can someone help me out here with a translation? :?:

I assume I'm out of touch with modern parlance... :oops:
I believe, John, that it means "I believe that I was in error" but is intended to communicate more than a suggestion of irony.

The young people employ the expression because it is short, like their attention spans.

Har har har.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:52 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
I believe, John, that it means "I believe that I was in error" but is intended to communicate more than a suggestion of irony.

The young people employ the expression because it is short, like their attention spans.

Har har har.
Cheers! Is there a Babel Fish type utility where I can perform my own translations?

I found http://www.theutherfish.co.uk/chav.php but am not confident this is the most appropriate translator? :oops:

Also http://www.lingo2word.com/translate.php might help? 8)
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:49 pm

Simon Spivack wrote:Understanding what someone is trying to communicate is very important, this is achieved by adhering to certain norms. Failure to do so can make life very difficult; for instance, I have trouble differentiating between a "3", "6", "8" and "9" because of my eyesight; there are many letters, for instance "m" and "n" that cause me difficulties, too. Parsing Ben's posts is very difficult, even in the rare case that what he writes makes any sense at all. I invite Mr McCarthy to try and read a post in which the letters are moving, vanishing, shrinking and getting bigger, in no particular order. To anticipate a probable response; I do not use a text reader as my doctors have advised me to use my eyes as much as possible.
Hi Simon. I read earlier that you recommended to Ben to use Firefox's dictionary add-on to improve his posts. Might I suggest for you the 'Ctrl and +' function which increases the text size to your liking. It's very handy.
P.S. Ben, I always preview my posts before submitting. You should too as it enables you to read what you've written and see it the way everyone else will.
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)