Brave New World

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Jonathan Bryant

Brave New World

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:37 am

I just got myself ECF Gold Membership.

It took about two minutes on the phone.

JustinHorton

Re: Brave New World

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:42 am

I was very pleased with the service when emailing Christine to ask about renewing my membership.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:09 pm

Yes, better to get it done. Waiting for the ECF to offer a special prize for the first in each membership category to enrol via the new online route is pointless as such an offer might result in the system crashing due to the rush.
(Brave New World is an interesting parallel for the new membership scheme. In the novel there are the Controllers (ECF board members), Alphas (Council members), Betas (Platinums), Gammas (Golds), Deltas (Silvers) & Epsilons (Bronzes). Outside are the savages (non-members)).
Last edited by John McKenna on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:27 pm

I have to say aside from being quick, the response from the ECF office was very friendly.

MSoszynski

Post by MSoszynski » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:44 pm

I have just joined by phone, and I have to compliment Christine Carcas on her friendly efficiency.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:21 pm

Keep taking the soma.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:34 pm

This courtesy & efficiency is not new, by the way. It was certainly true when I phoned the office this time last year to backdate my ECF membership, and pay forward to 2013. Despite complications in my case that might have stalled a less efficient outfit, the entire business was cheerfully sorted in a couple of minutes. My membership card arrived a day later. I couldn't have been more impressed.

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:52 pm

Continuing the plaudits: my current subscription expires in October 2014 and I was delighted to receive a prompt reply from Christine that I would automatically be transferred to Gold membership with nothing more to pay until 2014.

Rob Ensor

Post by Rob Ensor » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:33 am

John McKenna wrote: (Brave New World is an interesting parallel for the new membership scheme. In the novel there are the Controllers (ECF board members), Alphas (Council members), Betas (Platinums), Gammas (Golds), Deltas (Silvers) & Epsilons (Bronzes). Outside are the savages (non-members)).
[spoiler for those not familiar with Brave New World]

Ultimately, of course, the Savage prefers suicide to being part of society. What is the parallel for that?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:47 pm

Anyone who hasn't read Brave New World should not let knowing what happens to 'savage' John in the end stop them from finding out how and why he came to that personal decision.
Another interesting parallel is the use of exile to remote islands as punishment for nonconformity. If the ECF should ever, in its finite wisdom, decide to decline a membership application would they not, in effect, be exiling the player? (Mustapha Mond was exiled a long *time* ago and now there's the self-imposed 'Somerset Scot'.)

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:47 pm

... and the card arrived in the post today.

Am I now eligible to pay legal fees? ;-)

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:00 am

O brave new world. That has such people in't!

Trefor Owens

Post by Trefor Owens » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:01 am

Good Morning all,
received my renewal letter today, there is a mention of a £1 discount for renewing online, is it possible to renew directly via the ECF website or is the choice email, phone or snail mail?

Many thanks and apologies if I missed something obvious

Cheers
Trefor

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:59 pm

Trefor Owens wrote:Good Morning all,
received my renewal letter today, there is a mention of a £1 discount for renewing online, is it possible to renew directly via the ECF website or is the choice email, phone or snail mail?

Many thanks and apologies if I missed something obvious

Cheers
Trefor
If you wait a week, the online system should be up and running.

Trefor Owens

Post by Trefor Owens » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:15 pm

Thank you,

I decided to renew by phone, rather than run the risk of forgetting!

Like others on this thread I have to say that Christine was very charming, helpful and efficient