Page 1 of 3

Brave New World

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:37 am
by Jonathan Bryant
I just got myself ECF Gold Membership.

It took about two minutes on the phone.

Re: Brave New World

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:42 am
by JustinHorton
I was very pleased with the service when emailing Christine to ask about renewing my membership.

Re: Brave New World

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:09 pm
by John McKenna
Yes, better to get it done. Waiting for the ECF to offer a special prize for the first in each membership category to enrol via the new online route is pointless as such an offer might result in the system crashing due to the rush.
(Brave New World is an interesting parallel for the new membership scheme. In the novel there are the Controllers (ECF board members), Alphas (Council members), Betas (Platinums), Gammas (Golds), Deltas (Silvers) & Epsilons (Bronzes). Outside are the savages (non-members)).

Re: Brave New World

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:27 pm
by Jonathan Bryant
I have to say aside from being quick, the response from the ECF office was very friendly.

Re: Brave New World

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:44 pm
by MSoszynski
I have just joined by phone, and I have to compliment Christine Carcas on her friendly efficiency.

Re: Brave New World

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:21 pm
by John McKenna
Keep taking the soma.

Re: Brave New World

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:34 pm
by David Robertson
This courtesy & efficiency is not new, by the way. It was certainly true when I phoned the office this time last year to backdate my ECF membership, and pay forward to 2013. Despite complications in my case that might have stalled a less efficient outfit, the entire business was cheerfully sorted in a couple of minutes. My membership card arrived a day later. I couldn't have been more impressed.

Re: Brave New World

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:52 pm
by Paul Habershon
Continuing the plaudits: my current subscription expires in October 2014 and I was delighted to receive a prompt reply from Christine that I would automatically be transferred to Gold membership with nothing more to pay until 2014.

Re: Brave New World

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:33 am
by Rob Ensor
John McKenna wrote: (Brave New World is an interesting parallel for the new membership scheme. In the novel there are the Controllers (ECF board members), Alphas (Council members), Betas (Platinums), Gammas (Golds), Deltas (Silvers) & Epsilons (Bronzes). Outside are the savages (non-members)).
[spoiler for those not familiar with Brave New World]

Ultimately, of course, the Savage prefers suicide to being part of society. What is the parallel for that?

Re: Brave New World

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:47 pm
by John McKenna
Anyone who hasn't read Brave New World should not let knowing what happens to 'savage' John in the end stop them from finding out how and why he came to that personal decision.
Another interesting parallel is the use of exile to remote islands as punishment for nonconformity. If the ECF should ever, in its finite wisdom, decide to decline a membership application would they not, in effect, be exiling the player? (Mustapha Mond was exiled a long *time* ago and now there's the self-imposed 'Somerset Scot'.)

Re: Brave New World

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:47 pm
by Jonathan Bryant
... and the card arrived in the post today.

Am I now eligible to pay legal fees? ;-)

Re: Brave New World

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:00 am
by John McKenna
O brave new world. That has such people in't!

Re: Brave New World

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:01 am
by Trefor Owens
Good Morning all,
received my renewal letter today, there is a mention of a £1 discount for renewing online, is it possible to renew directly via the ECF website or is the choice email, phone or snail mail?

Many thanks and apologies if I missed something obvious

Cheers
Trefor

Re: Brave New World

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:59 pm
by Andrew Farthing
Trefor Owens wrote:Good Morning all,
received my renewal letter today, there is a mention of a £1 discount for renewing online, is it possible to renew directly via the ECF website or is the choice email, phone or snail mail?

Many thanks and apologies if I missed something obvious

Cheers
Trefor
If you wait a week, the online system should be up and running.

Re: Brave New World

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:15 pm
by Trefor Owens
Thank you,

I decided to renew by phone, rather than run the risk of forgetting!

Like others on this thread I have to say that Christine was very charming, helpful and efficient