British Championships 2012 - Junior age groups

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Andrew Zigmond

Re: British Championships 2012 - Junior age groups

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:23 am

Alex McFarlane wrote:
This has been the case for several years. It standardises all events with the FIDE cut off as stated meaning that, if they so wish, junior selectors will see players competing in the appropriate FIDE category. Additionally it means that we have an understandable date for all British children. The September date is a mystery to most Scottish juniors and I think Irish as well.
The September date ties in with the academic year and makes sense to me; children tend to be grouped by this rather than the year of birth. Also (albeit at a lower level so apologies if I'm going off topic) children will want to enter events with their friends who are probably most likely to be in the same academic year. Alex seems to imply that Scotland and Ireland do things differently which is interesting and if the September date is unique to England then this is certainly a discussion point. Obviously if FIDE go by year of birth then the ECF's flagship event must follow suit - which answers the initial question.

Sabrina - I think that raising this on the eve of the championship is a tad unfair. Lara can hardly do anything about it now and (along with the rest of the team) probably has her hands full making last minute preparations.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:55 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Sabrina - I think that raising this on the eve of the championship is a tad unfair. Lara can hardly do anything about it now and (along with the rest of the team) probably has her hands full making last minute preparations.
Hi Andrew,

In fairness to Sabrina, who herself is a tournament organiser and understands probably more than most about what Lara might be having to go through, I think that Sabrina was simply looking for clarification for all.

Maybe a possible solution might be to put something clearly on the front page of the British website like:

"FIDE junior age-groups apply in this competition. For a clear explanation of junior age groups, please click here"

Then this can directly reference any explanations which are already up somewhere. It would not have to be Lara who might need to do this, but someone else in the team who has control of the website.

By doing this, you would simply head off any possible mis-understandings later. As Sabrina mentioned, you would not want anyone entering/thinking about entering the wrong section accidently (possibly booking accommodation for the wrong week) and then for Lara (who I presume would have to deal with the fall out) having to deal with all the cross parents/crying children on site when they find out.

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:29 pm

Thanks Krishna

Thanks exactly it. I just wanted clarification as I did not believe it was clear. I am not asking for anything to be changed nor would I expect to. I just wanted to make sure so I could inform my students with the correct information.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:58 am

That is a constructive suggestion. Has it been sent to Phil Ehr?

I am not certain which dates the Glorney etc. use. It is international.

Obviously school team championships will continue to use 1 September as the date in Britain. But the individual events could change to 1 January. Would that be good?

To make matters more complex! Senior eligibility in FIDE is based on 31 December. Anybody who reached 60 by 31 December 2012 could play in the various international senior events this year.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:02 pm

Somehow posts leapt ahad of me. The constructive suggestion Krishna made was that the elgibility regualtions for each event be listed.

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:23 pm

On Sunday the routing to the rogue version of the online form was removed. However it has reappeared. Anyone entering last minute on the online form needs to check their age eligibility carefully.