Publicity Officer

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Krishna Shiatis

Re: Publicity Officer

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:00 pm

In order to promote chess, we need to to promote the people themselves who play.

In particular we need to promote those who will catch the eye and imagination of the majority/masses. It was something which David Beckham did in this country and it really upped the profile of football and other football players. He was basically the poster boy for football for an entire decade. All the girls fancied David and all the boys wanted to be mates with David or to be a footballer like David. He is still popular with everyone even today because of the media.

We have all that and more with our players. However, nobody in chess has figured that sex sells. It always has and it always will. Once we have the attention of the media and press, then you start selling the concept that chess IS a sport. Everything will flow once people become interested.

IanDavis

Post by IanDavis » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:16 pm

Is that a vote for return of the Hottest Female Chess player website? :lol: actually, some ECF officials spoke out in favour it it.

What you need is a press angle.
Last edited by IanDavis on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Louise Sinclair

Post by Louise Sinclair » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:19 pm

How about the hottest wealthiest male chess player - the guy who drives a decent motor and is dressed smartly with good looks - any candidates?
You might very well think that ; I couldn't possibly comment.
' you turn if you want. The lady's not for turning'

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Louise Sinclair wrote:How about the hottest wealthiest male chess player - the guy who drives a decent motor and is dressed smartly with good looks - any candidates?
It's not about the money. David Beckham was not rich when he started out. He was just a good-looking guy who played football well. He used the media to make him a superstar and also to make him rich.

If we were to do this with a few of our top young male and female players, then we would get the attention we want.

Scott Freeman

Post by Scott Freeman » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:31 pm

QUOTE:
How about the hottest wealthiest male chess player - the guy who drives a decent motor and is dressed smartly with good looks - any candidates?

Probably no on all counts in my case......!

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:35 pm

Krishna Shiatis wrote:In order to promote chess, we need to to promote the people themselves who play.

In particular we need to promote those who will catch the eye and imagination of the majority/masses. It was something which David Beckham did in this country and it really upped the profile of football and other football players. He was basically the poster boy for football for an entire decade. All the girls fancied David and all the boys wanted to be mates with David or to be a footballer like David. He is still popular with everyone even today because of the media.

We have all that and more with our players. However, nobody in chess has figured that sex sells. It always has and it always will. Once we have the attention of the media and press, then you start selling the concept that chess IS a sport. Everything will flow once people become interested.
I'd quibble this slightly. Football has always been a national obsession and Beckham was part of a long string of footballing idols. Where he broke the mould was that he allowed himself to be interviewed in gay magazines and (if memory serves) admitted to wearing women's underwear - and got away with it.

But I agree with Krishna that we need a poster boy for chess or failing that; something which captures the interest of the masses. Let's not forget that the biggest chess boom of recent decades was caused by a temperamental American genius whose behaviour could not always be described as sportsmanlike.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Louise Sinclair

Post by Louise Sinclair » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:36 pm

Krishna Shiatis wrote:
Louise Sinclair wrote:How about the hottest wealthiest male chess player - the guy who drives a decent motor and is dressed smartly with good looks - any candidates?
It's not about the money. David Beckham was not rich when he started out. He was just a good-looking guy who played football well. He used the media to make him a superstar and also to make him rich.

If we were to do this with a few of our top young male and female players, then we would get the attention we want.
Money, good looks and charisma always attract media attention. There are female journalists and they would prefer to promote a hot young guy rather then a female.

Louise Sinclair

Post by Louise Sinclair » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:40 pm

Personally David Beckham has never been to my taste. As a straight woman I'm not into men who wax their chests and wear female underwear. I like masculinity with a hairy chest and dark good looks - not bleached airy fairy blondness. I guess his bank balance is appealing.

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:41 pm

Krishna Shiatis wrote:In order to promote chess, we need to to promote the people themselves who play.

I hear the call!
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:41 pm

Louise Sinclair wrote:
Krishna Shiatis wrote:

Money, good looks and charisma always attract media attention. There are female journalists and they would prefer to promote a hot young guy rather then a female.
Marrying a Spice Girl helped... People forget that Victoria Adams was the worldwide superstar in that relationship.

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:41 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
I'd quibble this slightly. Football has always been a national obsession and Beckham was part of a long string of footballing idols. Where he broke the mould was that he allowed himself to be interviewed in gay magazines and (if memory serves) admitted to wearing women's underwear - and got away with it.

But I agree with Krishna that we need a poster boy for chess or failing that; something which captures the interest of the masses. Let's not forget that the biggest chess boom of recent decades was caused by a temperamental American genius whose behaviour could not always be described as sportsmanlike.
David didn't just break the mould. He 'played' the media at their own game. He realised early on that there is no such thing as bad publicity and because he was 'hot' he could get away with just about anything.

First things first though. We need to find our hottest, pin them down and start selling them big time.

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:42 pm

What woman could resist the average congress player with his black coat and Tesco carrier bag?
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:45 pm

Andrew Camp wrote:What woman could resist the average congress player with his black coat and Tesco carrier bag?
This is the problem we have at the moment. This is exactly what the average person thinks that chess is about. The reputation of chess players is undeserved as our young players do (thank God) break the mould.

Unless, we show the world that we have moved forward, then nobody will listen to anything we have to say.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:46 pm

Krishna Shiatis wrote: He is still popular with everyone even today because of the media.
He is still popular with "everyone" today because of the man he is, not because of the media, IMO. The only people who you read bad mouthing him are those who persist in the idea that he is purely a media creation who acts only for himself.

Louise Sinclair

Post by Louise Sinclair » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:48 pm

Chess is not popular in modern dumb down Britain with it's obsession with soap operas and reality shows. Chess will never grab media attention when even the Daily Telegraph takes a greater interest in photographing a female actress wearing a gown for some award then promoting intellectual pastimes.
Facebook , football (or footie as it is called) and celebs who act dumb are the fashion.
You really need a smoking, drinking, drug taking television addicted young person who can pose with a chess board. It wouldn't matter how they played provided the masses liked them and the media could be outraged by their antics.