British Championships, Torquay 2013

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
PaulJackson

Re: British Championships, Torquay 2013

Post by PaulJackson » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:32 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote: The Swindon comment was sarcastic; comparing the likelihood of the 2013 British moving from Torquay with the IOC suddenly moving the Olympics from London to Swindon.
Sorry, I think I understand now. The 2013 British Championships at Plymouth is now taking place in Torquay but we shouldn't book our accomadation yet and the olympics is now moving to Swindon?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:12 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote: The Swindon comment was sarcastic; comparing the likelihood of the 2013 British moving from Torquay with the IOC suddenly moving the Olympics from London to Swindon.
It's happened in International Chess. The 2004 Olympiad was initially awarded to Minorca, but a year or so before the event, it was switched to Majorca. They are both Spanish islands starting with M, but not really the same.

PaulJackson

Re: Thank you Lara and staff

Post by PaulJackson » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:30 pm

Andrew Farthing wrote:The announcement reported by Roger in his post was completely unauthorised, made without the Board's knowledge and, as I hope Adam and I have made clear, entirely unfounded. There is no doubt at all over the venue of the 2013 Championships: TORQUAY.

So please - let's stop this ridiculous speculation. The 2013 Championships will take place in the Riviera Centre, as advertised.
Lara Barnes wrote:Further comments may happen when I recover but I will say that this had NOTHING to do with any past issues. I was trying to act in the best interests of the players and the congress for 2013.
I'm confused, why is it in the best interests of the players not to book hotels if it is taking place in Torquay?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:27 am

1994 the Chess Olympiads were scheduled for Greece. They took place in Moscow.
2008 Adams and Carlsen withdrew from the Candidates when not only the location was changed, but also the dates. I don't think they were compensated.
1997 (or thereabouts) the Women's World Championship was scheduled for Moldova in the summer. Jovanka booked her tickets. It was changed completely and I don't believe she was ever compensated.
2000 the Knockout World Championship dates were changed, although still in Vegas. They now clashed with the British so our 5 leading players didn't play. FIDE compensated the BCF.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:48 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
It's happened in International Chess. The 2004 Olympiad was initially awarded to Minorca, but a year or so before the event, it was switched to Majorca. They are both Spanish islands starting with M, but not really the same.
I'd forgotten this, if indeed I ever knew. Where in Menorca was it supposed to take place?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:32 am

You lot will insist on feeding Mr Giddins. :)
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

PaulJackson

Post by PaulJackson » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:26 pm

I went to my local chess club last night and somebody told that the British Championship was taking place in Plymouth! They had heard that from a missinformed friend. I told them that it is taking place in Torquay. I'm glad I read on this forum :)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:07 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:1994 the Chess Olympiads were scheduled for Greece. They took place in Moscow.
You could add a 1993 match originally scheduled for Manchester which eventually took place in London under the auspices of a different organisation.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:18 pm

I've had no luck locating the proposed location of the cancelled Menorca event, but I do find that the 1996 World Junior Champiohsips wer held in Cala Galdana, which is a big putpose-built tourist colony on the south coast. I don't know if that was were it was planned for. (As it happens I was in a campsite about three kilometres up the road just this June.)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:32 pm

JustinHorton wrote:I've had no luck locating the proposed location of the cancelled Menorca event
That could be why they moved it :)

The archives of the 2000 FIDE Congress might contain something about it, given that was presumably when it was awarded. I doubt the archives are online.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:07 am

Something in the draft minutes of the October Council meeting is this
• DS advised that there was a potential liability on the British Championships at Torquay of £80,000. GC indicated that he was already aware of this.
This wasn't commented on at the time, but was it so necessary to secure the 2013 venue, that a £ 80,000 contingent liability had to be taken on? Presumably the actual cost when the British Championships takes place in Torquay 2013 is somewhat lower, but it's long way from the free or discounted venue that the ECF usually attempts to secure. Or is there always such a penalty clause?

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:48 am

This figure is wrong. The figure in the contract is significantly higher. I do not know why Council were not told this at the meeting. The accounts contained no reference to liabilities for this or the CAS court case. It was suggested at the meeting that the auditors should have been informed of liabilities such as this.

I have checked back and contracts for Canterbury, Sheffield and North Shields were all exchanged less than a year in advance of the event despite them being planned several years ahead of that. The Sheffield contract was still being revised in January 2011.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:22 am

Alex McFarlane wrote:I have checked back and contracts for Canterbury, Sheffield and North Shields were all exchanged less than a year in advance of the event despite them being planned several years ahead of that. The Sheffield contract was still being revised in January 2011.
I could be quite wrong, but I think that Torquay has always requested a somewhat earlier confirmation. I had some limited involvement with the arrangements for 1998 and 2002. My recollection is that on both occasions the contracts were signed at least a year beforehand.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:02 pm

The first agreement for the English Riviera Centre was made in Hove in 1997 by telephone about the 1998 event. The late Mike O'Hara overheard the conversation and said, 'Go for it.' So I did. Whether Neil Graham later signed a contract when he became responsible I have no idea. It is even conceivable that I did and have forgotten. There wasn't usually a contract for the various places, some arranged 4 or 5 years in advance. A letter of intent was sufficient.

Ther was definitely a contract concerning Torquay 2009. There was a very sustantial penalty fee, as for next year. I discussed with David Anderton whether we should insure against cancellation. We decided the risk by then was minimal and didn't spend the money. I was certainly apprehensive when the Sars Virus Scare swept the country.

Of course no insurance would pay up for changing the venue simply to choose another.