British Championships, Torquay 2013

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

British Championships, Torquay 2013

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:08 pm

An announcement this afternoon before the final round at "The Parks" has introduced uncertainty about the site of the 2013 British Championships. Players were advised to hold off booking their 2013 accommodation in Torquay for the time being because of a possibility the Congress might be switched to Plymouth. Other than a mention of finance and cost, Lara didn't go into background details.

Adam Raoof

Re: New Qualifying rules for The British 2013

Post by Adam Raoof » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:01 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:An announcement this afternoon before the final round at "The Parks" has introduced uncertainty about the site of the 2013 British Championships. Players were advised to hold off booking their 2013 accommodation in Torquay for the time being because of a possibility the Congress might be switched to Plymouth. Other than a mention of finance and cost, Lara didn't go into background details.
I am happy to reiterate that we look forward to holding the 100th British Championships in Torquay in 2013, and there is no plan to change venues. We have a signed contract, and have paid a deposit, and people (including members of the arbiting team) have already started booking their accommodation through the Conference Torquay website.

http://www.conferencetorquay.co.uk/book ... ent_id=258
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:11 pm

So Adam why were we told not to book up today is this another case of the ECF board sticking there head in the sand again.If i book up today and the event moves are you going to pay me back my deposit.
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:17 pm

William Metcalfe wrote:So Adam why were we told not to book up today is this another case of the ECF board sticking there head in the sand again.If i book up today and the event moves are you going to pay me back my deposit.
William, I really can't explain that, nor should I have been put in the position of having to explain it. The decision to have the 2013 British is a Board decision, a great choice for our 100th and we are fully committed to it. You can be confident and go ahead and book your accommodation!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:25 pm

Just to reiterate Adam's post, because I don't want this nonsense to gain any traction.

The 2013 British Championships will be held at the Riviera Centre in Torquay, in accordance with the decision taken by the Board a year ago. The contract has been in place for a year, and the Board has not considered for one second a change of venue. We have had no reason to consider a change, and we look forward to holding a successful 100th Championships at this excellent venue.

I am sorry that players at North Shields were misled about this. To repeat: The 2013 British Championships will be held at the Riviera Centre in Torquay, as previously announced.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:29 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:[
The decision to have the 2013 British is a Board decision, a great choice for our 100th and we are fully committed to it. You can be confident and go ahead and book your accommodation!
Apparently, unlike previous years, the Riviera Centre is no longer available at next to no cost. That at least is known. It has been suggested that the cost of hire had been underwritten by sponsorship or a guarantee. It has also been suggested that the sponsorship or guarantee may have been withdrawn. So whilst the event might still take place at the Riviera if the ECF Board insists, the level of the entry fees might be regarded as unacceptable. It's also relevant that the ECF Board have a really poor record of disclosure over the last eighteen months or so.

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:33 pm

so will the ECF pay me back my deposit if i book up this weekend and the event is moved i want a yes or no answer please

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:45 pm

This was written about a week ago

Alex McFarlane wrote: I fear the delay could be because a certain person has verbaly promised to underwrite the £6000 costs of the venue at Torquay - and as Adam has already signed a contract there is an £80,000 'damages' clause payable if the event does not take place there.
The penalty clause seems to suggest the event will take place at Torquay, even if the entry fees are £ 10 or so higher if the underwriting doesn't materialise. There can be circumstances under which "damages" clauses are not enforced, so the possibility of the event being in Plymouth might still be plausible.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:53 pm

William Metcalfe wrote:so will the ECF pay me back my deposit if i book up this weekend and the event is moved i want a yes or no answer please
Does the ECF normally insure against the risk of, for example, flooding due to act of God? If not, it seems impossible for them to answer yes.

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:53 pm

This is unbelievably stupid.

The financial arrangements were known at the time the Board made its decision a year ago and nothing has changed. The ECF is committed to holding its 100th Championships in Torquay, and that is where they will be.

No, William - the ECF is not going to guarantee your deposit. The situation is identical to any other year: a venue has been announced well in advance and that is where the event will be held. Every other year, it has been enough for the Board to make its decision, sign the contract and announce the venue, and people have safely relied upon this. Exactly the same applies to the 2013 event.

The announcement reported by Roger in his post was completely unauthorised, made without the Board's knowledge and, as I hope Adam and I have made clear, entirely unfounded. There is no doubt at all over the venue of the 2013 Championships: TORQUAY.

So please - let's stop this ridiculous speculation. The 2013 Championships will take place in the Riviera Centre, as advertised.

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks Andrew i really hope you are right

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:25 pm

William Metcalfe wrote:Thanks Andrew i really hope you are right
This is nonsense William, it seems Andrew Farthing has made his point clear as to the state of play and I feel you are wrong to continue to question this statement :!:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

harrylamb

Post by harrylamb » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:58 am

Sorry Carl

But the ECF has kept so many issues secret in the last few months or even years, why when at "The Parks" it has been announced that one should not book for Torquay as the event may be removed to Plymouth should we believe the directors and not believe the congress officials.

There is clearly a potential problem with Torquay. Would the ECF directors please treat us like adults and tell us what the potential problem is rather than give us exhortations that there is no problem

Harry Lamb
No taxation without representation

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:57 am

I suppose there are always going to be people who simply will not accept the truth. There is no problem, potential or otherwise, with the venue for the 2013 Championships. The contract has been in place for a year and the 2013 event will take place at the Riviera Centre in Torquay in accordance with that contract. Since the Riviera Centre has proven to be an excellent and popular Championships venue, this is something we should be celebrating.

It's as if the Head of LOCOG (London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games) had taken a microphone at the Beijing Olympics closing ceremony and announced to the world,

"Look, guys, I've been thinking about this London 2012 business and I reckon it's all going to be a bit pricey. I know the choice of venue isn't up to me and the decision was made a year ago and all the written agreements and contracts and so on have been signed, but I've been talking to these really nice people at Swindon and I think we might be able to deliver the Olympics more cheaply if we went there instead. I haven't mentioned this to the IOC or the UK Government, but I thought I ought to warn you not to make any arrangements to go to London in 2012, because we might all be going to Swindon instead. Thank you for your attention."

It is utter nonsense, and I sincerely hope that the misleading announcement made before the final round at North Shields (and discussion of it on the Forum) does not damage the Championships.

The 2013 British Championships will take place in Torquay, and I look forward to playing there myself and enjoying the excitement of the 100th Championships.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:59 am

harrylamb wrote:But the ECF has kept so many issues secret in the last few months or even years, why when at "The Parks" it has been announced that one should not book for Torquay as the event may be removed to Plymouth should we believe the directors and not believe the congress officials.
I would be happy to stand corrected

Who made the statement that people should not book then?

I will read the thread again now...
Last edited by Carl Hibbard on Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I see now, what a mess apologies William
Cheers
Carl Hibbard