British Championships, Torquay 2013

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Paul Cooksey

Re: New Qualifying rules for The British 2013

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:31 am

I don't understand why Lara made the announcement that she did, if the ECF CEO says that is is baseless. She should explain, rather than the ECF Board.

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:47 am

Andrew Farthing

There are clearly circumstances, however unlikely, under which the event would not take place. For example let’s say if the building is declared unsafe due to a structural fault or the ECF goes into liquidation and cannot meet its obligations. As the credibility of the ECF and yours, as a member of its board, are quite low at present you need to state that you and the board are not aware of any circumstances which may increase the risks compared to other years or alternatively say what the increased risks are.

Also it would be useful to know: -
  • What would be the contractual position if one of these unlikely risks materialised ?
  • How much compensation would be paid to the ECF if the Riviera centre is not possible ?
  • Do you have any contingency plans for such an eventuality ?
Andrew Farthing wrote: I haven't mentioned this to the IOC or the UK Government, but I thought I ought to warn you not to make any arrangements to go to London in 2012, because we might all be going to Swindon instead.
Actually Swindon would be a good location in one respect, as its closer to the population centre of the UK and would reduce participants travel times and expenses.

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:49 am

harrylamb wrote:(...) why when at "The Parks" it has been announced that one should not book for Torquay as the event may be removed to Plymouth should we believe the directors and not believe the congress officials.
You should believe the directors because:

(1) They are the people who decide the venue for the British Championships;
(2) They are the people who have ALREADY decided - a year ago - that the 2013 venue would be Torquay;
(3) They are the people who SIGNED THE CONTRACT a year ago;
(4) They are the ONLY people who could consider a change in the arrangements and they have not considered, are not considering and will not consider a change of venue.

The congress official in question had no authority to say what was said yesterday and did not inform a single Board member of the intention to say what was said. Had I known that such a misleading and damaging statement was going to be made, I would have sought to prevent it. As it is, the comments were - as I have repeatedly said - utterly unfounded. There is not the slightest chance of the 2013 Championships being moved to Plymouth or anywhere else. They will take place in Torquay, as stated on the ECF website.

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:07 am

E Michael White wrote:There are clearly circumstances, however unlikely, under which the event would not take place. For example let’s say if the building is declared unsafe due to a structural fault or the ECF goes into liquidation and cannot meet its obligations. As the credibility of the ECF and yours, as a member of its board, are quite low at present you need to state that you and the board are not aware of any circumstances which may increase the risks compared to other years or alternatively say what the increased risks are.
Of course, it is true every year that a disastrous event such as a fire or structural fault could occur which made the contracted venue unavailable. I am happy to confirm that the Board and I are not aware of any circumstances which may increase the risks compared to other years.

I am not going to answer the questions about the details of the contractual arrangements between the ECF and the Riviera Centre. It would be inappropriate to discuss these on a public forum.

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:16 am

Note to Carl:

Since this nonsense is showing signs of rattling on and on, would it be better to move the posts about the 2013 venue to a separate thread? I suggest the title, "British Championships, Torquay 2013" so that at least the name of the thread doesn't serve to perpetuate this ridiculous story.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:37 am

I only split the topic, bugger still looking...
Last edited by Carl Hibbard on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Never eat breakfast and attempt to split a topic on a laptop at the same time
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Philpott

Re: British Championships, Torquay 2013

Post by John Philpott » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:37 am

Lara confirmed at this morning's prize-giving that next year's event would be in Torquay.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:42 am

John Philpott wrote:Lara confirmed at this morning's prize-giving that next year's event would be in Torquay.
Did she offer any explanation or apology?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:54 am

An explanation from somebody wouldn't go entirely amiss.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:14 am

Paul Cooksey wrote
Did she offer any explanation or apology?
No. She briefly alluded to the previous day's announcement and made a simple statement to the effect that it had now been confirmed that the Championships were going to Torquay next year and that the team therefore looked forward to seeing everybody there.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:45 pm

I have read the thread and have worked it all out.

The 100th British Chess Championship will take place in Torquay.
The 101st British Chess Championship will take place a few days later in Plymouth.

PaulJackson

Post by PaulJackson » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:59 pm

I'm confused. Are the 2013 British Championships taking place in Plymouth or are they taking place in Swindon like Andrew Farthing has suggested?

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:11 pm

I can reveal that both Plymouth and Torquay are being used. The arbiters will take their lunches and make their speeches in a small hall in Plymouth, whereas the players will play chess in Torquay. Many more webcams will be introduced in Torquay and disputes will be decided by votes on the ECForum. Swindon is the backup location should too many players enter the senior section. The arbiter announcement made on Friday was intended only for arbiters and continues the tradition of arbiter speeches being of low relevance for players.
Last edited by E Michael White on Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:23 pm

E Michael White wrote: Swindon is the backup location should too many players enter the senior section.
If you set up a hypothetical match between the top 100 known Over 60s and the top 100 Under 18s, the Seniors would have a grading advantage.

Last year, the London Classic offered a £ 25 entry fee discount to Over 60s, this year it has disappeared.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:19 pm

PaulJackson wrote:I'm confused. Are the 2013 British Championships taking place in Plymouth or are they taking place in Swindon like Andrew Farthing has suggested?
The Swindon comment was sarcastic; comparing the likelihood of the 2013 British moving from Torquay with the IOC suddenly moving the Olympics from London to Swindon.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own