ECF Director elections for 2012/13

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
JustinHorton

Re: ECF Director elections for 2012/13

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:33 pm

Also see "discovering that FIFA is a corrupt circus just after they'd awarded the World Cup to somebody else".
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:12 pm

David Robertson wrote:Does anyone perform 'due diligence' on candidates at this stage? I mean, we're awash with investigative 'due diligence' after people are elected. But beforehand?
Yes, we try to and we did last year in choosing between the 2 candidates for Junior Director, and in preferring None of the Above for Marketing Director

It isn't always easy, however, and sometimes you look at who has nominated a candidate, and trust them e.g. Andrew Farthing has nominated a candidate for Finance Director, which in my view is a pretty good start
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:17 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Kevin Thurlow wrote:"Maybe he should be allowed to produce a statement before people go digging around on the internet?"

Why? We got a new Chief Executive at work a few years ago and the internet searches have told us a lot more about him than he has...
Common courtesy. Let someone speak for themselves first, and then add more information to threads on this forum with internet searches if you wish. Doing the internet searches first risks throwing up a misleading picture as not all the information will be there.
Ok, can we start now?

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... dress1.pdf

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:24 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
David Robertson wrote:Does anyone perform 'due diligence' on candidates at this stage? I mean, we're awash with investigative 'due diligence' after people are elected. But beforehand?
Yes, we try to and we did last year in choosing between the 2 candidates for Junior Director, and in preferring None of the Above for Marketing Director

It isn't always easy, however, and sometimes you look at who has nominated a candidate, and trust them e.g. Andrew Farthing has nominated a candidate for Finance Director, which in my view is a pretty good start
I'm not sure Mick's second sentence follows his first very well as last year Andrew Farthing nominated the candidate for Director of Marketing who received so many 'None of the Above' votes (but was still elected).
Last edited by Angus French on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:25 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Ok, can we start now?
It's probably just a question for someone to ask at the AGM, but as an expert on Companies, how does he see the relative powers of the directors and voting members in a Company limited by guarantee? As a follow up, what are the personal legal and financial risks being run by the directors of such a Company?

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Does anyone know anything of Rupert Jones's time as the BCF's Director of International Chess?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:37 pm

Angus French wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:

I'm not sure Mick's second sentence follows his first very well as last year Andrew Farthing nominated the candidate for Director of Marketing who received so many 'None of the Above' votes (but was still elected).
Good point, but Andrew did that because the incumbent was away and unable to formally nominate his chosen successor

I think you get the gist of what I was trying to say

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:51 pm

David Robertson wrote
Does anyone perform 'due diligence' on candidates at this stage? I mean, we're awash with investigative 'due diligence' after people are elected. But beforehand?
Should the ECF achieve charitable status, this is an issue that cannot be side-stepped. The annual return to the Charity Commission now includes a requirement for trustees to confirm that there are no serious incidents or other matters which they should have brought to the attention of the Commission and have not done so already. One of the defined serious incidents is that "The Charity has no vetting procedure to ensure that a trustee or member of staff is eligible to act in the position he or she is being appointed to".

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:35 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Good point, but Andrew did that because the incumbent was away and unable to formally nominate his chosen successor
I'm confused now. Who was the incumbent?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:44 pm

Justin Horton wrote
Stewart Reuben. At the time he was Marketing Director and Tim Woolgar was his Alternate.

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:01 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
John Philpott wrote: 1. Rupert Jones has been nominated as the FIDE Delegate. There will therefore be a contested election for this position.
You have to hope his position isn't one of "Let's be a Kirsan bootlicker"
Anyone who knows Rupert also knows he's not the sort to lick anyone's boots.

I must say it's a pity that those who wanted to lick Gary Kasparov's boots weren't prepared to do so in public.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:05 pm

John Philpott wrote:Justin Horton wrote
Stewart Reuben. At the time he was Marketing Director and Tim Woolgar was his Alternate.
Ta. I was vaguely under the impression that the post was previously unfilled.

Whereas in fact it was only subsequently unfilled. Har har har.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:11 pm

Gerard Killoran wrote: Anyone who knows Rupert also knows he's not the sort to lick anyone's boots.
The question really is whether he wants the ECF's attitude towards FIDE to be
(a) pro Kirsan and current FIDE establishment
(b) broadly neutral
(c) hostile to Kirsan
(d) adversarial towards Kirsan

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:27 pm

I notice that Rupert is registered with Papua New Guinea. I don't know the background behind that. Would it be strange to have a 'foreign' registered player as FIDE delegate?

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:36 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:I notice that Rupert is registered with Papua New Guinea. I don't know the background behind that. Would it be strange to have a 'foreign' registered player as FIDE delegate?
Does he or didn't he have a FIDE position also?
He has previously been the BCF's Director of International Chess.