ECF Director elections for 2012/13

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Ernie Lazenby
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:10 pm

Re: ECF Director elections for 2012/13

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:46 pm

Google his name it's all there. he's qualified to represent us not a problem.

Andrew Zigmond
Posts: 1828
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Harrogate

Re: ECF Director elections for 2012/13

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:18 pm

Angus French wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:I notice that Rupert is registered with Papua New Guinea. I don't know the background behind that. Would it be strange to have a 'foreign' registered player as FIDE delegate?
Does he or didn't he have a FIDE position also?
He has previously been the BCF's Director of International Chess.
I'm not sure what Rupert's connections to Papua New Guinea are but he is a former President of the Yorkshire Chess Association and a major figure in Leeds chess. I believe he has also been a FIDE arbiter. I know Rupert personally and his enthusiasm for chess is not in doubt.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 19213
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: ECF Director elections for 2012/13

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:22 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:Google his name it's all there. he's qualified to represent us not a problem.
Searches reveal him to be CACDEC Secretary. Seems to me an obvious conflict of interest to be both the ECF's delegate to FIDE and part of an organisation that spends FIDE's money on emerging federations.

John Upham
Posts: 4959
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: ECF Director elections for 2012/13

Post by John Upham » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:40 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: Seems to me an obvious conflict of interest to be both the ECF's delegate to FIDE and part of an organisation that spends FIDE's money on emerging federations.
Yawn... :roll:
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John Philpott

Re: ECF Director elections for 2012/13

Post by John Philpott » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:20 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote
I'm not sure what Rupert's connections to Papua New Guinea are
He was born there, and did his early schooling there before moving to England. He subsequently taught in Botswana, which he has also played for at the Olympiad.

William Metcalfe
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:12 pm
Location: Darlington

Re: ECF Director elections for 2012/13

Post by William Metcalfe » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:14 pm

You can not please some people you want contested elections then spend all your time ripping candidates apart.
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

Ernie Lazenby
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:10 pm

Re: ECF Director elections for 2012/13

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:41 pm

It seems to me that Rupert is a worthy candidate. He knows how to conduct himself in public, does not need to resort to abuse or ruddness and has the right background.

He seems to be a very suitable replacement for the FIDE rep we currently have.
Picking up on who he has played for because of where he was born seems rather trivial.

User avatar
IM Jack Rudd
Posts: 4127
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Bideford

Re: ECF Director elections for 2012/13

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:49 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:It seems to me that Rupert is a worthy candidate. He knows how to conduct himself in public, does not need to resort to abuse or ruddness and has the right background.
:roll: :D
He seems to be a very suitable replacement for the FIDE rep we currently have.
Picking up on who he has played for because of where he was born seems rather trivial.
It's not so much that he was born there, it's that he is registered with the country in question and has an official post within FIDE, both of which could potentially lead to conflicts of interest with a role as FIDE Delegate for England.

(A concrete example: several members of this forum have suggested changes to the voting rights for FIDE, with the common theme that they would tend to increase England's voting power relative to Papua New Guinea's. This might put Rupert in an awkward position when it came to voting on such proposals.)

Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 4127
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: ECF Director elections for 2012/13

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:01 pm

Much as I understand William's dismay, Roger and Jack have valid points. They are certainly not looking intently for concerns about a candidate, rather they are pointing out something which is really there for all to see, if they are prepared to see it.

I will say something positive though - if both Rupert and Nigel speak at the AGM, it is potential box office stuff! (No wonder someone leaned on one of the accountants to withdraw :mrgreen: )

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 19213
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: ECF Director elections for 2012/13

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:09 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote: He seems to be a very suitable replacement for the FIDE rep we currently have.
The concern is that the election is likely to turn into a referendum for or against the ECF current policy regarding FIDE. We don't know yet where Rupert will stand on this issue, but it seems unlikely that he shares the same views as Nigel.

Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 4127
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: ECF Director elections for 2012/13

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:17 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
The concern is that the election is likely to turn into a referendum for or against the ECF current policy regarding FIDE...
You've lost me. What exactly is the nature of this concern?

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 19213
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: ECF Director elections for 2012/13

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:53 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote: You've lost me. What exactly is the nature of this concern?
Not exactly a concern, but is the reason why Nigel is being opposed an attempt to change the ECF's policy of hostility towards the current FIDE president and his allies?

Sean Hewitt
Posts: 2190
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:18 pm
Contact:

Re: ECF Director elections for 2012/13

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:03 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:Not exactly a concern, but is the reason why Nigel is being opposed an attempt to change the ECF's policy of hostility towards the current FIDE president and his allies?
I guess we'll find that out when we read the respective election addresses.

User avatar
Gerard Killoran
Posts: 547
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: ECF Director elections for 2012/13

Post by Gerard Killoran » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:13 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Ernie Lazenby wrote:It seems to me that Rupert is a worthy candidate. He knows how to conduct himself in public, does not need to resort to abuse or ruddness and has the right background.
:roll: :D
He seems to be a very suitable replacement for the FIDE rep we currently have.
Picking up on who he has played for because of where he was born seems rather trivial.
It's not so much that he was born there, it's that he is registered with the country in question and has an official post within FIDE, both of which could potentially lead to conflicts of interest with a role as FIDE Delegate for England.

(A concrete example: several members of this forum have suggested changes to the voting rights for FIDE, with the common theme that they would tend to increase England's voting power relative to Papua New Guinea's. This might put Rupert in an awkward position when it came to voting on such proposals.)
Since I estimate the probability of a majority in favour of such a change to be zero, it wouldn't matter which way the English FIDE delegate voted.

Matthew Turner
Posts: 3136
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am

Re: ECF Director elections for 2012/13

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Kirsan won the election by roughly 95 - 55 (the exact count seems to vary by the odd vote on different sources). Kirsan's own website

http://www.onefide.com/supporters/

lists 102 supporters, but Papua New Guinea doesn't appear to be one of them.

Post Reply