Outcome of membership scheme

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Sean Hewitt

Re: Outcome of membership scheme

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:02 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:A well thought out plan of action is need by the ECF to keep 13 to 18 year olds interested in playing chess. One thought Can the John Robinson Trust do anything with the ECF to help?
One for the Junior Director. The JRT can be approached for finance. Assuming such an approach was met favourably, what do we think the ECF should do?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:20 pm

I also think it's very important to ask the players in that age group what would keep them interested.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:56 pm

The ECF as the organising body should be leading the way and encouraging and inspiring all those involved in organising chess as well as the players.

Congresses - How about giving a prize of an ITunes voucher to any junior aged between 13-18 who scores greater than x? I do remember Sussex giving a prize to a young junior who lost every game but they quite rightly felt that the determination of the player deserved reward - the smile on the player's face was a picture to behold.

When an adult beats a junior there should be a responsibility for the adult to go through the game (I'm not asking them to give away all their secrets but when a junior is beaten by an adult it can be very demoralizing). I have seen in person an adult just leave the board and the junior (a teenager) sat there totally shell shocked - what incentive is there for them to continue?

The ECF should also embrace and publicise League Chess and endeavour to find ways to help organizers
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:41 pm

In my county my club Darlington and the Durham city chess club are very junior friendly both clubs have juniors playing league chess.At the moment most of our juniors are about a year away from playing in the leagues but the plan is to run a totally junior team in at least 1 league within 18 months.In the last 16 months we have gone from 1 junior member to about 30 juniors we contacted local schools the best results came from the schools allowing us to do flyers throughout the schools.
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:03 am

William Metcalfe wrote:In my county my club Darlington and the Durham city chess club are very junior friendly both clubs have juniors playing league chess.At the moment most of our juniors are about a year away from playing in the leagues but the plan is to run a totally junior team in at least 1 league within 18 months.In the last 16 months we have gone from 1 junior member to about 30 juniors we contacted local schools the best results came from the schools allowing us to do flyers throughout the schools.
Sounds like a wonderful development. What is the age distribution of your juniors? In particular how many are at secondary school?

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:27 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Peter D Williams wrote:A well thought out plan of action is need by the ECF to keep 13 to 18 year olds interested in playing chess. One thought Can the John Robinson Trust do anything with the ECF to help?
One for the Junior Director. The JRT can be approached for finance. Assuming such an approach was met favourably, what do we think the ECF should do?
As ECF manager of secondary school chess I can report some positive developments as we look to recover from an all time low in inter-school chess:
In 2 weeks time about 150 school chess players will be involved in a national school tournament at Eton College.
The new U19 Girls school championship has been very well received. Despite the snow 11 teams played in the southern semi-final last weekend.
20 Surrey secondary schools have played inter school chess this academic year.
At my school chess has gone viral - 239 pupils are on the chess ladder, 85 pupils have played chess agaist others schools this academic year, typically 60 turn up to lunchtime chess club which meets three times a week. So chess can be popular at secondary school.
However, keeping teenagers playing chess at school does not mean they will continue playing once they have left. It is only one part of what needs to be done.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:25 am

Some interesting ideas to inspire greater junior chess activity...
Key is to set something/events up that gives a focus for young players so that they can participate meaningfully. Importantly, events that players of all standards can involve themselves in...
I see some talk about what the ECF should do. Increased membership numbers would create greater funds that might enable more activities to be initiated...
However, more importantly is the need for local chess groups to get a sence of impowerment, take the initiative, roll up sleaves, and get out and do something.
There are too many armchair critics, who simply mouth off abuse in various directions, but dont actually get stuck in and do something.
Turning this round...nothing happens unless you have enthusiasts who are actually prepared to give up some time and volunteer to help get things moving. Have we become a society of PC watching dummies...??
I`m sure thats not the case...but I`d like to urge those who would like to actually get the junior scene moving to put themselves forward and actively support there local chess community.
Many organisations are struggling to get things moving because they cant find volunteers to take on the essential tasks.
Players need to be aware of this, and to seek out the opportunities to lend there support. Contact your local club secretary, see what posts are needed in your local club...or local league.
At Schools, many parents are needed to help run things and encourage the juniors...it helps if you have one or two reasonably knowledgable chess players involved who can perhaps offer tips, ad hoc coaching, etc..
But the basic start point for many junior clubs is a couple of volunteers, some funds for equipment, kicking off with say a dozen chess sets. Once you have a room, put out notices to invite interested youngsters, you can compile a list of members and contact details, set up some basic `all play all` and KO competitions to get things moving and create some focus, results tables, etc....and you`re off....
Its not rocket science... And often, once you`re up and running, the momentum gathers, more people come forward...and things start to progress. If a local player(s) can offer some coaching, that will help. A Simultaineous, or other chess events will add to the interest, and help development.
If some parents have any chess books they can bring along, all the better. Soon you start to see who your better players are and maybe contact local schools for friendly matches...
Much is down to getting the word around that something is happening...Advertizing and promotion.
Now to a key point....
How does the junior chess world I`ve just described reach out and progress into the bigger world of club, league and congress chess...and beyond to the major chess tournaments, ECF, etc....
Answer...we really need our chess bodies to reach out and make meaningful contacts with the junior chess world. We really need to welcome this junior chess world into the local chess networks, and make them aware that these groups exist. But much more importantly...we must do much more to welcome this junior world, and to say that players of all standards are very welcome into our local clubs....particularly the teenage groups... and having particular clubs in each area that are focused on youngsters can help enormously. Such clubs encourage the juniors enormously, and help to develop there playing talents...progress can be surprising as these youngsters pick up ideas and tips from the more experienced players.... Its a great learning environment....down at the local chess club. Or it can be....
Look for instance at 3Cs chess club, or Didsbury Dynamoes (alas no more...), in the north west...where senior players have devoted there time to bringing on these youngsters and many have reached the upper levels of national chess.
Its all possible with the right initiative and motivation, and above all, a few willing volunteers who are prepared to give of there time for the greater good....
Another good start point for players progressing into the chess world is local w/e Rapidplay events.. These often run sections for players of all standards, beginner to expert, and welcome less experienced players into there novice sections...and theres good prizes for those `rising stars` to chase...
Talking of which...the well known Stockport Rapidplay takes place tomorrow, starting at 9.30am, at The Alma Lodge Hotel in Stockport...so why not come along if you`re free. It has sections for players of all standards, and would be glad to see some new faces....

But again...its important that local schools are made aware of such events...and its equally important that the local Press are contacted and mention these events in there `Local Events` sections...and our regional Press for that matter. We do need much greater support from the media, to improve awareness about what is actuially going on in the local communities. Chess bodies should consider how they can put regular league updates in local papers to help increase awareness of local chess.

Yes...YOU can do it.....
BRING BACK THE BCF

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:39 pm

Neill Cooper wrote:As ECF manager of secondary school chess I can report some positive developments as we look to recover from an all time low in inter-school chess:
In 2 weeks time about 150 school chess players will be involved in a national school tournament at Eton College.
The new U19 Girls school championship has been very well received. Despite the snow 11 teams played in the southern semi-final last weekend.
20 Surrey secondary schools have played inter school chess this academic year.
At my school chess has gone viral - 239 pupils are on the chess ladder, 85 pupils have played chess agaist others schools this academic year, typically 60 turn up to lunchtime chess club which meets three times a week. So chess can be popular at secondary school.
Excellent news!!
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Pat Bennett

Post by Pat Bennett » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:42 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:I also think it's very important to ask the players in that age group what would keep them interested.
Castration? :?

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:49 pm

I received an email from the ECF on 1 April telling me that my gold membership was due for renewal. It said: 'The amount due if you renew online in your current membership category is £9.30 (If you renew by phone or by mail, it is £1 higher.)'.

I was a little puzzled by the amount as my membership expires, my membership card tells me, on 30 April and I would have expected the renewal fee to be for the four months from May to August inclusive. That is, £28 * 4/12 = £9.33 – or £8.33 with the discount for an online renewal.

Anyhow, I went to the renewal page of the Paysubsonline website and, sure enough, it confirmed that the renewal fee would be £9.30.

I wondered what the renewal fee would be if I downgraded to Bronze so I change the Category and clicked ‘Confirm’ - £4.30 I was told. And for upgrading to Platinum, £20.

So: my guess is that the payment requested is rounded down to the nearest 10p but doesn’t include a discount for online renewal.

I left the site without renewing – I’ll return and do that at the end of the month.

On checking the membership list this morning I now see my membership Category is Platinum and the Due Date is 1 April 2013. Previously the Category showed as Gold and the Due Date as 2 May 2013.

Who tested this software?

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:01 pm

Angus French wrote:Who tested this software?
Why do you assume that it is a software fault?

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:21 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Angus French wrote:Who tested this software?
Why do you assume that it is a software fault?
Perhaps I might more accurately have asked 'Who tested this system?' though it does seem that there is at least one software bug - which resulted in the change of membership Category and Due Date.

It seems also that no discount was available for online renewal - despite what was stated in the renewal-reminder email. I agree that this may not be a software bug; the software may have been following instructions.

Anyway, surely these effects aren't intended and ought to have been identified by the ECF and corrected?

Sean Hewitt ECF DoMM

Post by Sean Hewitt ECF DoMM » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:44 pm

Angus French wrote:Perhaps I might more accurately have asked 'Who tested this system?' though it does seem that there is at least one software bug - which resulted in the change of membership Category and Due Date.
I'm looking into this, but it strikes me as extremely unlikely that the system has changed your membership from one category to another, or your due date.
Angus French wrote:It seems also that no discount was available for online renewal - despite what was stated in the renewal-reminder email. I agree that this may not be a software bug; the software may have been following instructions.
I need to check the Council papers (as this was before my time) but wasn't the £1 online discount against annual renewal? It would be perverse, IMO, to give a £1 discount to a Bronze member whose membership expires end of August (for example).
Angus French wrote:Anyway, surely these effects aren't intended and ought to have been identified by the ECF and corrected?
I understand that there was extensive testing. I don't we can assume that any testing is 100% certain to cover all scenarios, or even that the scenarios here are either software related (in the first instance) or unintended (in the second).

More when I have it.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:29 pm

Sean Hewitt ECF DoMM wrote: I agree that this may not be a software bug; the software may have been following instructions. I need to check the Council papers (as this was before my time) but wasn't the £1 online discount against annual renewal? It would be perverse, IMO, to give a £1 discount to a Bronze member whose membership expires end of August (for example).
As evidence or otherwise of tinkering with the system, a £ 20 online renewal cost for 1st December was very obviously £ 28 * 9/12 minus £ 1. I might have expected £ 20.25 being £ 27 * 9/12 .

Angus is now showing as Platinum, an apparent lapse of security at the very least.
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Thu May 09, 2013 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Thu May 09, 2013 2:20 pm

Just thought I'd mention that the number of people signed up to the new membership scheme reached 8888 today. It's like an out of control runaway train!