Achievement Report

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Carl Hibbard

Achievement Report

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:10 pm

A lot of reading but comments are welcomed:-

http://www.bcf.org.uk/organisation/general/index.htm
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Re: Achievement Report

Post by John Upham » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:38 pm

We note that :

"Harry Potter contributed to the accounts and the ECF has signed an arrangement with a book
publisher."

I have some 'consequent' (as Jim Plaskett might say) queries :

Did JKR give permission for HP to take a day off from Wizard School?
Is HP old enough to be making financial contributions to the ECF?
How much did he contribute?
What have been the consequences of this book arrangement?

We await answers excitedly... 8)
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:42 pm

I would have thought the most interesting was the success in creating and maintaining a grading forum!

And the dispute with the NCCU is now over (really, not sure they all agree with that)

Marketing is very woolly, as you might expect as it is the second biggest weakness of the ECF in my view
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:08 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Marketing...is the second biggest weakness of the ECF in my view
Really? Whats the biggest weakness? Everything they do, or everything they say?? :lol:

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:06 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:Marketing...is the second biggest weakness of the ECF in my view
Really? Whats the biggest weakness? Everything they do, or everything they say?? :lol:
I thought someone would bite, should have guessed it would be you, Sean

Communication is their biggest weakness I think - even when they get things right

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:01 am

For once, I dont agree with you Mick!

I think the biggest weakness at the ECF is that they have no idea what they are for. They do not know what their core activites are, nor what their members want. I suspect they are afraid to find out how little players want or need from them.

Anyway, I had to bite. The opportunity for the everything they do or say joke was far too good to miss!

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:38 pm

Glad you enjoyed it

I think Communication is the thing, tho', just look at what damage lack of communication with players has done, and also the damage caused by the premature ECF Press Release etc on Chess for Schools

Chris Majer

Post by Chris Majer » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:15 pm

Mick wrote:
And the dispute with the NCCU is now over (really, not sure they all agree with that)
Martin Regan reported to ECF Council that the dispute was over and who am I to disagree with that?

For Ernie's benefit I will point that the Achievement Report addresses the activities in the previous year's Business Plan (i.e. the Report produced in October 2008 addresses the activities of May 2007 to April 2008). Therefore the Report is addressing the achievements of the previous administration. If Ernie is suggesting that the previous administration doesn't deserve such praise; then I suppose he is entitled to his opinion, but I can’t help wondering whether he knows which administration he is knocking.

:D
Chris Majer
ECF Chief Executive

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:45 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:
Chris Majer wrote:Mick wrote:
Martin Regan reported to ECF Council that the dispute was over and who am I to disagree with that?

For Ernie's benefit I will point that the Achievement Report addresses the activities in the previous year's Business Plan (i.e. the Report produced in October 2008 addresses the activities of May 2007 to April 2008). Therefore the Report is addressing the achievements of the previous administration. If Ernie is suggesting that the previous administration doesn't deserve such praise; then I suppose he is entitled to his opinion, but I can’t help wondering whether he knows which administration he is knocking.

well I am astonished here we have the CEO of the ECF, the organisation that wanted nothing to do with this forum to the extent it told Carl to remove it from the ECF server, posting on it!! Very welcome but a massive contradiction me thinks!

Perhaps Chris would be willing to comment about the Chess for Schools project in the light of the recent post by Fergus Christie?
As always the input of Chris (regardless...) is welcomed by this forum, at least to counter the ECF comments if nothing else

I welcome ECF input even if i don't always agree with it :)
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:55 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:
Chris Majer wrote:Mick wrote:

well I am astonished here we have the CEO of the ECF, the organisation that wanted nothing to do with this forum to the extent it told Carl to remove it from the ECF server, posting on it!! Very welcome but a massive contradiction me thinks!

Perhaps Chris would be willing to comment about the Chess for Schools project in the light of the recent post by Fergus Christie?
I will add to this!

The ECF have my backing as does the Chess for Schools project but in my opinion not responding to the large criticism on this forum is the wrong approach, tell people what is going on - good or bad regardless!

I am happy to advertise/push the project if good news is on the horizon but am equally happy to be critical if things go wrong

Going for an active gagging of "people" policy is just going to cause more problems

:roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:33 pm

"Going for an active gagging of "people" policy is just going to cause more problems"

I agree 100 %, but it has been happening for at least 20 years (according to my memory) and it doesn't seem to stop.....

And the funny thing is that it never works!

Kevin
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Gary Cook

Post by Gary Cook » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:59 pm

Gagging would mean taking an active response - the action against this forum is more like an inactive "ostrich syndrome"

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:19 pm

Gary Cook wrote:Gagging would mean taking an active response - the action against this forum is more like an inactive "ostrich syndrome"
It seems clear that when the gagging occurs at Director level that something is going horribly wrong
Cheers
Carl Hibbard