CJ resigns?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Swain

CJ resigns?

Post by John Swain » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:16 pm

Steve Giddins has just tweeted that CJ has resigned (unconfirmed) and also refers to this on his blog.

David Pardoe

Re: CJ resigns?

Post by David Pardoe » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:34 pm

If so, the timing is interesting...coming after the closing deadline for ECF candidate nominations...
Might there have been others who would have considered standing if they had known this...?
Certainly no shortage of `members` wanting to see him `go`, it would appear...and very few alternatives suggested to take his place....
But lets wait for an official statement...
Maybe a budding candidate CEO might now come forward...at some point, perhaps
Does anyone have any `names` to put into the frame....
BRING BACK THE BCF

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:37 pm

David Pardoe wrote:If so, the timing is interesting...coming after the closing deadline for ECF candidate nominations...
Also coming after the ECF had shelled out for a jolly, of course.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:52 pm

Apologies to Ben Edgell who was faster off the mark than I was (see Director elections thread). I wasn't trying to steal his thunder!

A Goodall

Post by A Goodall » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:23 pm

I wonder what "job in the chess world" he has been offered? Assistant arbiter, Kasparov stunt double or Turkish equality & diversity director perhaps?

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:24 pm

John Swain wrote:Apologies to Ben Edgell who was faster off the mark than I was (see Director elections thread). I wasn't trying to steal his thunder!
No worries :)

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:26 pm

He can't have resigned. According to his latest tweet he's still fighting for English chess and our arbiters.
CJ de Mooi ‏@cjdemooi
Got 4 hours in the gym and 2 half hour steam room sessions booked for my last evening in Istanbul. Does it compare to your plans?
How does he do it? That ECF token was invested wisely.

Lara Barnes

Post by Lara Barnes » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:30 pm

CJ has spent a couple of hours at the General Assembly yesterday morning then no sign of him at the important issues such as the Arbiters ban or the Arbiters' licenses today.

Nigel Short has been speaking very eloquently about various issues, making good points and supporting our interests.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:32 pm

I concur with Lara. Nigel has been good. De Mooi has been absent!

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:36 pm

Tried looking in the steam room?

Actually I wouldn't if I were you.

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:41 pm

I guess some people like Turkish baths.

Get over it.
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:02 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
'@pscooksey wrote:@cjdemooi CJ can you comment on reports you have resigned from the #ECF?
@cjdemooi wrote:@pscooksey I have indeed (got a better offer I'm afraid)
I guess we've all noticed that CJ actually bullshits like RDK. "A better offer" indeed, as if the ECF were besieging him with some kind of offer to make him stay!

It seems to me quite likely that he must have gone to Turkey with some sort of opportunity in mind. Not, incidentally, that that would be such an unusual thing, even if the ECF were materially contributing to his expenses. I can think of numerous academics who went on sabbaticals (paid for by their employers) at other Universities, which they subsequently joined after the sabbatical was over.

Assuming CJ does not start to behave in the way threatened in his election "statement", I have no intention of mentioning him anymore. After today. Everything off my chest first.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:09 pm

I presume lack of support for the election left little choice but a graceful exit?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:18 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:I presume lack of support for the election left little choice but a graceful exit?
Speculation is that Agon have made him an offer. That would enable him to promote chess without "ungrateful" Council members and bloggers complaining about not following expected reporting standards when handling ECF funds and initiatives.

(edit) Agon have been recruiting
http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/news ... -director/
http://www.chessdom.com/gm-robert-fonta ... w-paulson/
(/edit)

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:34 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:I presume lack of support for the election left little choice but a graceful exit?
Speculation is that Agon have made him an offer. That would enable him to promote chess without "ungrateful" Council members and bloggers complaining about not following expected reporting standards when handling ECF funds and initiatives.

(edit) Agon have been recruiting
http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/news ... -director/
http://www.chessdom.com/gm-robert-fonta ... w-paulson/
(/edit)
I wondered if it was them.

Any thoughts as to a likely role? I'm thinking host of the online (and perhaps broadcast?) commentary box or in-tournament show / bulletins, in tandem with a GM or two. Or maybe also fronting an intermittent magazine show?

You'd imagine it would be some kind of front-of-camera job, given CJ's acting/TV background. And Agon's stated business model would seem to require a concerted effort to ramp up coverage of chess events via broadcast and online media.