How many votes does my ECF delegate hold?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Upham

How many votes does my ECF delegate hold?

Post by John Upham » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:46 pm

There might well be a FAQ on this matter on the ECF web site...

Assuming I know the name of one of my ECF delegates (I won't use the the word "representative" since I doubt if it is appropriate) can I find out how many votes that individual holds?

I think that this individual holds the votes of at least four organisations but have been unable to discover this persons voting intentions.

A recent email (to the delegate) started
Dear X,
I must have missed the discussion concerning how you intend to cast the Ys and the Zs votes at the forthcoming ECF AGM, for which I apologise.
blah blah...
Of course some delegates will apportion their votes according to the wishes of the bodies that they represent.

Is it about time that we stopped one person wielding so much power? one person many votes

*Apologies for confusing delegate and representative: this was deliberate.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John Philpott

Re: How many votes does my ECF delegate hold?

Post by John Philpott » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:12 pm

John Upham wrote
Assuming I know the name of one of my ECF delegates (I won't use the the word "representative" since I doubt if it is appropriate) can I find out how many votes that individual holds?
The voting register downloadable from the ECF website at http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... gister.pdf indicates the name of the representative member for each organisation as well as the votes held, so if you look through this document and aggregate the numbers for the individual you have in mind you should be able to answer your own question.

The voting register needs to be read in conjunction with the amendments thereto at http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... r-2012.pdf, some of which will have to be ratified by the Board on the morning of the AGM.

Proxies, for which the deadline is today, would need to be added. After taking into account proxies held, one member of this Forum has already broken the 30 vote barrier, and three others have so far reached double figures.
Last edited by John Philpott on Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:13 pm

harrylamb

Post by harrylamb » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Chairman of the ECF Governance Committee wrote wrote: one member of this Forum has already broken the 30 vote barrier
I realise this is in accordance with the rules. But is it good governance?
No taxation without representation

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:27 pm

harrylamb wrote:
Chairman of the ECF Governance Committee wrote wrote: one member of this Forum has already broken the 30 vote barrier
I think that the Companies Act would make it impossible to place many, if any, restrictions on proxy gathering.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:29 pm

harrylamb wrote:
Of course it isn't.

But as others observe, the Companies Act allows it. Hence the real problem of democracy and accountability for the ECF lies in the ridiculous, incompetence-protecting adoption of the Limited Liability company structure
Last edited by David Robertson on Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:32 pm

harrylamb wrote:
The powers that be think so - and I don't mean the powers that be within the ECF.

The Companies Act 2006 outlaws any restriction on whom a member of a company can appoint as his or her proxy. Surrey CCA (a CLG, like the ECF) used to have a rule that no-one could hold more than one proxy (and hence could exercise no more than two votes). We've had to abandon this provision, as it contravenes the Act.

In my capacity as the ECF's Sport and Recreation Alliance Representative, I attended a workshop where this was explained. Several representatives of other sporting bodies were horrified to learn that provisions to prevent their own meetings being controlled by a few individuals had been rendered null and void. But that's the way it is.

Edit: Second as always, this time to Sean.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:59 pm

John Philpott wrote: Proxies, for which the deadline is today, would need to be added. After taking into account proxies held, one member of this Forum has already broken the 30 vote barrier, and three others have so far reached double figures.
These haven't been previously been disclosed, outside of the meeting that is. Is there a reason other than custom why they aren't?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Can these people be revealed?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:27 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote
Can these people be revealed?
I cannot immediately think of a good reason why not. The picture will be a lot clearer by tomorrow morning.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:01 pm

John Upham wrote:There might well be a FAQ on this matter on the ECF web site...

I think that this individual holds the votes of at least four organisations but have been unable to discover this persons voting intentions.

A recent email (to the delegate) started
Dear X,
I must have missed the discussion concerning how you intend to cast the Ys and the Zs votes at the forthcoming ECF AGM, for which I apologise.
blah blah...
Of course some delegates will apportion their votes according to the wishes of the bodies that they represent.

Is it about time that we stopped one person wielding so much power? one person many votes

*Apologies for confusing delegate and representative: this was deliberate.
I send out an email to all vote-holders in the South-West about a month prior to the AGM, offering to vote as directed or voice opinions on behalf of any organisations that are unable to attend the meeting. I wouldn't be surprised if a similar situation were true of other parts of the country.

I think I might be one of the people mentioned as holding double- figure number of votes, incidentally. Some are voting as directed, and where I'm a league/ county rep. I've made every effort to encourage people to express opinions rather then it being a vote based on personal opinion.

http://www.chessit.co.uk/phpforum/viewt ... 1&start=10

is my voting intentions for Somerset/ Bristol, in case you're interested.

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:50 pm

Ben Edgell wrote
I think I might be one of the people mentioned as holding double- figure number of votes, incidentally.
Ben - I currently have you down as holding with your proxies 8 votes. Please PM me if you disagree.

It has been rather hard going getting everything ready for Council, as many representatives left it until close to the deadline to return their attendance forms, and several have not returned the forms at all. :( I will be spending tomorrow in Battle to try to ensure that everything is in the best possible order for the meeting.

Providing comprehensive information on proxies for external publication is not currently top of my to do list, but for those interested in who is in a position to cast a significant number of votes at the AGM, the following are currently on the records as having 9 or more votes on a poll (these eight individuals collectively carry 102 out of what should be a total of 262 votes if the Board approves all the currently proposed changes to the voting register).

30 - Mike Truran (including the proxy of Sean Hewitt)
12 - Stewart Reuben (including the proxy of Brian Smith)
11 - William Metcalfe (including the proxies of Dave Cole and John D Wheeler)
11 - Dave Thomas (including the proxy of Gordon Christie)
10 - Andrew Farthing (including the proxies of John Wickham and Peter Wilson)
10 - John Philpott (including the proxy of Adam Raoof in his capacities other than Director of Home Chess)
9 - Nigel Dennis
9 - Mike Gunn (including the proxies of Gary Cook and Richard Fries)

Directed proxies to the Chairman account for a further 11 votes. Everybody else has between 1 and 8 votes.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:36 pm

Wouldn't it be simpler, and to mutual advantage all round, if everyone gave their proxies to Mike Truran? That way, lots of folk get to do something useful with their Saturday; and ECF Council gets to make some sensible decisions.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:45 pm

I don't see why I should have to be the only one to suffer! :(

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:46 pm

Don't worry Mike, I am sure with your policies you will not be the only person to suffer.