AN EGM

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Carl Hibbard

Re: AN EGM

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:56 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:If there ever was time in the history of the ECF that an Emergency General Meeting was needed its now.

If what I read between the lines posted by Andrew is correct the position is there is not going to be any free chess sets from Holloid; that being so and the ECF decides to honour what was put out in the press release its going to cost a lot of money to provide free sets to the 9000 schools that have applied. Money has been released from the John Robinson trust for the project so whats going to happen to that.

One can only hope that there are sufficient people who are entitled to call for an EGM get together and do so as matter of urgency and that the meeting is attended by those people.

I hope that something emerges from the NCCU in the coming days.

This entire tale is sad reflection on chess in England; it need never have happened. The game I have loved for most of my life is being tarnished and someone has to be accountable.
Would it even be appropriate to use the JRT for the cost of 90,000 sets?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:07 am

You would have to see the Trust Deed to see whether it would be legal, then consult the Trustee Act 2000 to see whether it would be appropriate
Any postings on here represent my personal views

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:37 am

Perhaps more to the point, what would be the mechanism be for calling such an emergency meeting?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:30 am

Ernie Lazenby wrote:Details of how to call such a meeting have been circulated by e mail to those of us who talk to each other privately and are very concerned.
Just so I know, though, how's it done?
Ernie Lazenby wrote:It would be a lot easier if we had one man one vote.
Maybe (hard to know without knowing what happens now) but it would presumably all depend on the details - how many people had to call for one and how, that sort of thing.
Ernie Lazenby wrote:I know there is talk in the NCCU of setting up a northern grading system possibly approved by FIDE if that happens the ECF would be dead in the water.
I'm not immediately sure why. For instance, where I am in Aragón, that being a region of Spain, there is a separate rating system - so I have three Elo grades. One is international, one Spanish and one Aragonese. None of this affects the status or existence of the national federation.

And if it did threaten the ECF, what would FIDE's motive be for approving it?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:51 am

Justin,

Have to agree with you.

Ernie,

what on Earth has FIDE got to with existence or non-existence of an NCCU rating system??? Think your brain must be overheating, take the muffler off.

And why are you conflating an EGM held with the view of forcing out the current management, with an entirely separate issue of whether or not game fee is an equitable means for the ECF to raise money. I think that starting two rows in an EGM would be a certain way of killing it. Or, worse still, whilst trying to perusade people to support its necessity, which would lead to it never getting off the ground.

And yes, don't start talking about private knitting circles. Tell us how to start the EGM, or don't, but don't tantalise us.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:56 am

Paul McKeown wrote:I think that starting two rows in an EGM would be a certain way of killing it.
Just in procedural (and practical) terms, EGMs should surely normally be about one agenda item only?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:44 pm

The main point if we could raise enough votes to call for a agm how do we stop the incumbents carrying enough poxy opps proxy votes to block the motion
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:52 pm

I am almost certain any union has the power to call a agm
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:59 pm

So, if an EGM is called to discuss and vote on a motion, what would that motion be? What's this all about? Ernie?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:16 pm

The post is a typical forum post, rather direct probably not considered "polite" and somewhat sarcastic but not specifically personal and so I don't really have an issue with it Ernie
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:27 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:Details of how to call such a meeting have been circulated by e mail to those of us who talk to each other privately and are very concerned. I cannot call for one but my County ECF Rep can but he needs the support of many others entitled to vote at such a meeting to do so.
The legal requirement to call an EGM is for a specified number of those entitled to vote (which must not exceed 10% of the total entitlement) to band together and call for an EGM to discuss a specific motion or motions. In the absence of such specification, the requirement is 10% of those entitled to vote.

At council, there are about 292 votes so broadly speaking you need 30 votes (not delegates) to call an EGM. Bearing in mind you need 140+ votes to win the day anyway, thats actually quite a low number.
Ernie Lazenby wrote:It would be a lot easier if we had one man one vote.
That's utter nonsense Ernie. I have 7 votes at council, 4NCL have 6, others have a similar number. Its quite simple to call an EGM if there is a compelling reason so to do. If we had OMOV we would need 1,200 players to all sign up to call an EGM - you think that would be easier to organise?!
Ernie Lazenby wrote: I know there is talk in the NCCU of setting up a northern grading system possibly approved by FIDE if that happens the ECF would be dead in the water. Sadly radical action may have to be taken sooner rather than later to get certain individuals to recognise the organisation cannot go on as it is.
Talk is cheap. FIDE will never approve such a system. FIDE wont even allow Northern Ireland to join as they are not a sovereign state. How on earth do the NCCU think that they would be allowed to do so?!

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:39 pm

Any EGM would be have to be for a specific motion. A talking shop is not allowed.

Such a motion could be to scrap CFS and repay the loan to the JRT. Or to remove a director from office for example.

Any attempt to remove the President would be doomed to failure unless there was a credible alternative. Some of the names that I have heard mentioned are laughable frankly, and I speak as the only council delegate that I am aware of to vote against the re-election of the President at last months AGM.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:40 pm

Sean

Can you suggest any credible alternatives to the President?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:03 pm

Well it's nice like that, of course, but would it be possible to bring our heads down from the clouds by suggesting a specific motion that you would like to have discussed?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:22 pm

Ok, that's not too bad as a rough text.

Why not polish it and then circulate it inviting people to sign?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com