Strategic Planning Officer

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 5853
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Strategic Planning Officer

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:52 pm

Some news:-

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/

Andrew Farthing has been appointed as the Strategic Planning Officer

Who?

Doing what?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

User avatar
IM Jack Rudd
Posts: 4101
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Bideford

Re: Strategic Planning Officer

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:10 pm

The guy from Worcester? He plays in quite a few congresses in the South-West.

John Upham
Posts: 4818
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: Strategic Planning Officer

Post by John Upham » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:55 pm

I wonder what he is planning?

Could he enlist the help of Baldrick? :lol:

Best of luck as they say in darts matches!
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John Philpott

Re: Strategic Planning Officer

Post by John Philpott » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:42 pm

The Strategic Planning Officer reports to the Chief Executive and has responsibilities for the production of the Corporate Plan, the Annual Business Plan and the Annual Achievement Report against the previous year's Annual Business Plan. Andrew is indeed "the guy from Worcester" and is not one of the "usual suspects" in terms of ECF posts, but that should hardly be seen as a disqualification. He does hold some chess administrative posts, being a Non-Executive Director of the MCCU and organiser of the Worcester & District League individual competitions. Perhaps of more direct relevance to the post he has taken on he is a former Head of Risk and Compliance, Business Banking for Lloyds TSB, where his responsibilities included production of an annual business plan and regular monitoring and formal reporting against that plan. This is an appointment that should be welcomed.

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 5853
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: Strategic Planning Officer

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:46 pm

John Philpott wrote:The Strategic Planning Officer reports to the Chief Executive and has responsibilities for the production of the Corporate Plan, the Annual Business Plan and the Annual Achievement Report against the previous year's Annual Business Plan. Andrew is indeed "the guy from Worcester" and is not one of the "usual suspects" in terms of ECF posts, but that should hardly be seen as a disqualification. He does hold some chess administrative posts, being a Non-Executive Director of the MCCU and organiser of the Worcester & District League individual competitions. Perhaps of more direct relevance to the post he has taken on he is a former Head of Risk and Compliance, Business Banking for Lloyds TSB, where his responsibilities included production of an annual business plan and regular monitoring and formal reporting against that plan. This is an appointment that should be welcomed.
Cool, he is welcomed into the post and naturally also welcome to join this forum if he is allowed to that is?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

raycollett
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Strategic Planning Officer

Post by raycollett » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:28 pm

Hi,
I can confirm John's comments on Andrew Farthing's suitability. Andrew has been a member of Worcester City Club for the last 4 years. To my knowledge, he has contributed to local chess by being a team captain, helping to organise a junior chess tournament, and is controller of a league tournament in Worcestershire. He is a reasonably strong club player, has represented Worcestershire and has been very active in the tournament circuit over the last year, mainly in limited grading events. In summary, he's like many active players: he's decent, will listen to ideas, and do his best to support the game. I hope he's successful in helping the ECF Board to pursue feasible policies that can be supported by most club players.
Regards - Ray Collett (Committee member, Worcester City Chess Club)

E Michael White
Posts: 1378
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:31 pm

Re: Strategic Planning Officer

Post by E Michael White » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:48 pm

John Philpott wrote:Perhaps of more direct relevance to the post he has taken on he is a former Head of Risk and Compliance, Business Banking for Lloyds TSB, where his responsibilities included production of an annual business plan and regular monitoring and formal reporting against that plan.
Is this really a commendation in today's banking fiasco driven recession ?

Laurie Roberts
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 5:16 pm

Re: Strategic Planning Officer

Post by Laurie Roberts » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:42 pm

E Michael White wrote:
John Philpott wrote:Perhaps of more direct relevance to the post he has taken on he is a former Head of Risk and Compliance, Business Banking for Lloyds TSB, where his responsibilities included production of an annual business plan and regular monitoring and formal reporting against that plan.
Is this really a commendation in today's banking fiasco driven recession ?
For crying out loud, some people want to see the doom in everything.

E Michael White
Posts: 1378
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:31 pm

Re: Strategic Planning Officer

Post by E Michael White » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:13 pm

I was thinking we might see a strategy starting along these lines :-

1 Investment in American subprime
American players under 2000 will automatically be included in the England Olympic Selection process.

2. Basel 2 and other Banking Agreements

Basel Brush will be the next President of the ECF.

3. Derivatives

Although the Governor of the Bank of England and the President of the ECF do not understand the implication of some modern derivatives, games played under the following variant rules will be included in ECF gradings - Pass the Pieces, Take me and Fischerandom.

5. Negative grades

Negative grade numbers will be carried forward as if positive. At the end of the season if a clubs total grade membership is negative 50,000 ECF grading points will be available to each club by creating fictitious reserve players off the grading list who lend their points to balance out the figures. The committee do not know whether this will result in deflation or inflation but the ECF accept their role as grader of last resort.

6. Interfederation lending

It is hoped to encourage the loan of FIDE points between the Welsh, Scottish and English Chess Federations.

7. Long Term Costs

The expected long term cost of these measures is that the Game Fee will increase to £20 per game or equivalently $2 or E3.0

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 19086
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Strategic Planning Officer

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:08 am

I was thinking we might see a strategy starting along these lines :-
8 Qualitative Easing

The ECF graders are proposing to add free grading points to most players and don't believe this will lead to grade inflation.

Paul McKeown
Posts: 3450
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:01 pm
Location: Hayes (Middx)
Contact:

Re: Strategic Planning Officer

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:44 pm

8 Qualitative Easing

The ECF graders are proposing to add free grading points to most players and don't believe this will lead to grade inflation.
Roger,

I couldn't agree more. Are we the only one's who see the insanity of the proposed changes to the grading system? Sometime I despair. ... and sometime I weep.

Seasonal greetings,
Paul.

Michele Clack
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:38 pm
Location: Worcestershire

Re: Strategic Planning Officer

Post by Michele Clack » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:26 pm

8 Qualitative Easing

The ECF graders are proposing to add free grading points to most players and don't believe this will lead to grade inflation.[/quote]

Not that old chesnut again! The grading system has looked deflated at the lower end of the spectrum for years to a lot of people. IMO the correction won't be far off going on results for people in our club.

GETTING BACK TO THE POINT- I know Andrew Farthing and I suspect he will bring a great deal to the ECF. I might even renew my subscription now. The only thing I have against him is that he beat me in the Worcs & District League a few weeks ago, but I did make a complete mess of the opening and deserved to lose! At the Worcestershire County AGM last summer he came across as intelligent, fairminded and sensible.

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 5853
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: Strategic Planning Officer

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:29 pm

michele clack wrote:GETTING BACK TO THE POINT- I know Andrew Farthing and I suspect he will bring a great deal to the ECF. I might even renew my subscription now. The only thing I have against him is that he beat me in the Worcs & District League a few weeks ago, but I did make a complete mess of the opening and deserved to lose! At the Worcestershire County AGM last summer he came across as intelligent, fairminded and sensible.
Good, anyone who knows him try to get him online please see what his plans are?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

User avatar
Ben Purton
Posts: 1622
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:53 am
Location: Berks

Re: Strategic Planning Officer

Post by Ben Purton » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:36 pm

I agree with Roger and Paul , I dont think there has been deflation. Excuse me for being a 22 year old so Ive only been without my "junior bonus" for 3-4 seasons. However!

I am now getting a 160+x performance against people who havent been 160 ever.

So it will of course add to overall inflation. In Economics its more complicated, but if you pump more points in to the grading system, it will overtime cause overall inflation in most walks or "sections" of chess.

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

raycollett
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Strategic Planning Officer

Post by raycollett » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:30 pm

E Michael White wrote:
John Philpott wrote:Perhaps of more direct relevance to the post he has taken on he is a former Head of Risk and Compliance, Business Banking for Lloyds TSB, where his responsibilities included production of an annual business plan and regular monitoring and formal reporting against that plan.
Is this really a commendation in today's banking fiasco driven recession ?
Perhaps he left the industry a few years ago because he was unhappy about the way banks assessed risk and remunerated senior staff. Regards - Ray

Post Reply