Strategic Planning Officer

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Greg Breed

Re: Strategic Planning Officer

Post by Greg Breed » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:11 pm

E Michael White wrote:2. Basel 2 and other Banking Agreements

Basel Brush will be the next President of the ECF.
I was going to reply to this but i'll hold my tongue... :)
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Harrow Captain (Middlesex League)

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:35 am

Apologies for not introducing myself sooner. I wasn't previously registered on the forum, and it's taken me a little while to twig that there was discussion about my appointment and then for me to get registered (I'm on holiday in Singapore at the moment, so quite a few time zones away).

I put my name forward for the role of Strategic Planning Officer because I had done work like this in other organisations, had some time to spare and wanted to make a contribution to the success of the ECF, if I could. I've been a Direct Member for many years, off and on, but I haven't got more closely involved in the organisation before. Ray Collett kindly referred to me as a "strong club player" (I wish!), but I am at least enthusiastic (>100 games a year) and I do want to see the game grow wherever possible.

At the moment, this is all very new to me. I found out about my appointment on the day I left for Singapore - rapidly putting plenty of distance between me and my responsibilities - and I attend my first Board meeting on Jan 10th, the day after I get back to the UK. (I'm hoping that the first impression I create won't be of a poor jetlagged sap, snoozing quietly while the meeting goes on!). I'm currently reviewing the ECF's long-term Strategic Plan and annual Business Plan, with a view to offering whatever opinions a fresh pair of eyes may come up with and asking the sort of naive questions that newcomers are always prone to ask. Mostly, I'll be listening to the views of the Board and trying to help them to shape the next versions of these documents.

I had a feeling my banking background might raise a few eyebrows. Naturally, when I decided to leave the industry I realised that it would struggle to cope without me, but even my inflated ego didn't anticipate the extent of its collapse in just a couple of years. (I just wish that I'd followed the same logic and sold my shares before the price collapsed and the dividends vanished, but there you go...)

Thanks to those who wished me well in this post. I hope I don't disappoint.

Andrew

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:04 am

Good morning Andrew

Welcome to the forum. Your posting is much appreciated, communication and clarity is always the best route to take. Perhaps when you have 'settled in' to ECF business you will be able to persuade other board members/officials to do the same.

Sincere best wishes for the New Year

Peter Turner
Retired BCF/ECF Board member (6 years Director of Junior Chess & Education)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:07 am

Andrew

Good luck, hope to see you posting here often

And don't hesitate to shout if you need any help, there are people on here with a wide variety of experience in different fields away from chess
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk