Jack Rudd's candidacy for NED: Q&A thread

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
David Shepherd

Re: Jack Rudd's candidacy for NED: Q&A thread

Post by David Shepherd » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:05 pm

I think its probably just time to move on from this, I really don't think it is an issue. I think the health of any director elected is likely to suffer given some of the comments flying about in these threads - I would be surprised if at any point in time a number of them aren't suffering from ECF related stress.

Neville Belinfante

Post by Neville Belinfante » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:41 pm

Sean - Please can you get all your facts correct before suggesting I hang my head in shame. I raised Jack's illness in a Private email which I believe is entirely appropriate. It was Jack who partially disclosed the contents of that email in this thread.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:10 pm

Neville Belinfante wrote:Sean - Please can you get all your facts correct before suggesting I hang my head in shame. I raised Jack's illness in a Private email which I believe is entirely appropriate. It was Jack who partially disclosed the contents of that email in this thread.
Thank you for confirming that I got my facts straight, and that you raised the issue of Jack's illness in relation to standing as a Director. I hope you will now realise that that you were wrong to do so (as it was none of your business) so that we can move on.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:22 pm

Neville to be fair to Sean you kind of forced Jack to answer your PM publicly by asking why he hadn't replied to it on the forum. Transparency seems to be a key issue in this election. In addition, I can't understand why the question should have been asked at all. Any ECF official could potentially be incapacitated at some point during their term of office. That's when the ECF's business continuity plan/key person risk etc should kick in surely?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:16 pm

David Shepherd wrote:I think its probably just time to move on from this, I really don't think it is an issue. I think the health of any director elected is likely to suffer given some of the comments flying about in these threads - I would be surprised if at any point in time a number of them aren't suffering from ECF related stress.
Yes I agree enough, on to matters new please.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:18 pm

Chris Rice wrote:Neville to be fair to Sean you kind of forced Jack to answer your PM publicly by asking why he hadn't replied to it on the forum.
Hmmm. I don't think Neville had any such intention. He more likely just expected Jack to reply by PM.

If it is acknowledged that illness has affected the candidate's performance in the past, a query about it would seem fair to me. So far as I know, however, that is not the case here, and so it is better to judge Jack on his record and statements. As mentioned on another thread, I think by Sean, it would be easier to judge incumbents if we knew how they voted in the Board in the past!

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:14 pm

Hi Jack,

Why you want to get involved in all these boards is beyond me.

You are still young, your OTB play will suffer.
These endless bickering meetings will suck the creavity out of you
and you will become a dry husk, a shadow of your former self.

I mean just look at them squabbling amongst themselves now and this is only your mandate.

Come back when you are 55 and have the GM title and triple Britsh Championships under your belt
and you feel the need to give something back.

Pull out, just say "I quit" then give yourself a complete chess make over.
Look at the strides Sabrina has made after dropping the thankless load that she took on.
(and the keyword is 'thankless', one mistake and this lot will gleefully rip you to shreds.)

Your peers, Howell, Jones, Adams, McShane etc don't get involved with none of this nonsense.
You have a gift, use it, don't let it stagnate around the tables of these ECF Mad Hatter Tea Party meetings.

Neville Belinfante

Post by Neville Belinfante » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:05 pm

Sean - When I said get your facts correct, I should have said get your assumptions correct. Your assumptions were wrong, but I cannot prove it without making public the private message I sent to Jack. I am sure you would agree that what I write in private to Jack should stay private between us, and you have my word it will never be made public.

Now I have got this off my chest I agree with you and everyone else that it is time to move on.

Regards

Neville Belinfante

Dan O'Dowd

Post by Dan O'Dowd » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:50 pm

Please have one of the moderators delete my account since this sort of degenerate and unconstructive thread is now the norm. I thought the problems in British Chess that I saw at the British Championships were bad enough - oh wait, if I posted about that, the world and his wife would jump to deny my perceptions and experiences simply because 'it's one half of a story' rather than seeing it as a truth in its own. Nevermind :) Byebye english chess and its sad cancerous growth :/

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:56 pm

Dan O'Dowd wrote:I thought the problems in British Chess that I saw at the British Championships were bad enough - oh wait, if I posted about that, the world and his wife would jump to deny my perceptions and experiences simply because 'it's one half of a story' rather than seeing it as a truth in its own.
Yay, vague hints about unspecified problems. Those are the sorts of things I can immediately leap into action and start trying to solve for you. Oh, wait.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Dan O'Dowd wrote: I thought the problems in British Chess that I saw at the British Championships were bad enough
The forum enjoys a good gossip. Tell more. Many of us were also present in Torquay and weren't aware, unlike Sheffield 2011, of any issues that would dominate discussion for the next few months.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:18 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Dan O'Dowd wrote: I thought the problems in British Chess that I saw at the British Championships were bad enough
The forum enjoys a good gossip. Tell more. Many of us were also present in Torquay and weren't aware, unlike Sheffield 2011, of any issues that would dominate discussion for the next few months.
This forum enjoys a good gossip too much, not helped by the fact that the ECF is not very good at resolving matters internally. That said, I wonder if this vague comment ties into today's sad news of Lara's resignation.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own