Sean Hewitt resigns

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Mike Gunn

Re: Sean Hewitt resigns

Post by Mike Gunn » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:08 pm

The statement about Sean's resignation on the ECF website asks for applications for the vacant non-executive director's position. The board would then consider applications at a meeting and could appoint somebody to the vacancy. The same could happen for President. This is standard procedure. If people want to discuss this at Council then there is a variety of ways they could raise the matter.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:13 pm

Mike Gunn wrote:The statement about Sean's resignation on the ECF website asks for applications for the vacant non-executive director's position. The board would then consider applications at a meeting and could appoint somebody to the vacancy. The same could happen for President. This is standard procedure. If people want to discuss this at Council then there is a variety of ways they could raise the matter.
Mike - Do you know if the rumours that Phil Ehr met with Andrew Paulson on Saturday are true or not? If they are true, do you know whether the possibility of Andrew's return to the board was discussed?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:33 pm

Mike Gunn wrote: The board would then consider applications at a meeting and could appoint somebody to the vacancy.
The point being that it's the Board as a whole, not the CEO. It would look very strange, if having called for his resignation, that the remaining directors had a change of heart and re-appointed him.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:16 pm

Sean, I don't know whether Phil was meeting with Andrew on Saturday.

I do know that AP was asking about procedures for the Council meeting so there are (other possible) reasons for such a meeting.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:19 pm

Mike Gunn wrote:Sean, I don't know whether Phil was meeting with Andrew on Saturday.

I do know that AP was asking about procedures for the Council meeting so there are (other possible) reasons for such a meeting.
Thanks Mike.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:45 pm

Andrew was in the North East, Birmingham and Manchester late last week for meetings, so having spoken to many Council members, he presumably wanted to talk to Phil about what they said

As far as the NED vacancy is concerned, Sean's resignation presumably has come too late to put anything to Council on Saturday? If so, Council would presumably want Angus, if available, as he finished a close third in October's elections behind Sean and Julian

Good to see Jack is available though
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:00 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Andrew was in the North East, Birmingham and Manchester late last week for meetings, so having spoken to many Council members, he presumably wanted to talk to Phil about what they said

As far as the NED vacancy is concerned, Sean's resignation presumably has come too late to put anything to Council on Saturday? If so, Council would presumably want Angus, if available, as he finished a close third in October's elections behind Sean and Julian

Angus? Angus French? Angus is coming across as a pro AP supporter and has indeed defended Andrew vigorously on this forum. Thus another supporter on the council that is pro AP would be a significant development. A day is obviously a long time in ECF politics lol a lot can change in a single day - The plot thickens.
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:10 pm

Mick Norris wrote:As far as the NED vacancy is concerned, Sean's resignation presumably has come too late to put anything to Council on Saturday? If so, Council would presumably want Angus, if available, as he finished a close third in October's elections behind Sean and Julian
It must be incredibly unlikely that folk who voted for me would want to see me replaced by Angus French.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:43 pm

Martin Crichton wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:Andrew was in the North East, Birmingham and Manchester late last week for meetings, so having spoken to many Council members, he presumably wanted to talk to Phil about what they said

Angus? Angus French? Angus is coming across as a pro AP supporter and has indeed defended Andrew vigorously on this forum. Thus another supporter on the council that is pro AP would be a significant development. A day is obviously a long time in ECF politics lol a lot can change in a single day - The plot thickens.
For the record, I am not a supporter of Andrew Paulson. I supported Roger Edwards against Andrew in the elections last October and the two organisations I represent voted for Roger. My posts are in support of what I perceive as fairness and accuracy.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:56 pm

Afternoon All

Its not all doom and gloom as Sean resignation will allow him to spend more time on the E2 E4 chess events.

Chiinese fried King prawns in batter tonight :D
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:02 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:As far as the NED vacancy is concerned, Sean's resignation presumably has come too late to put anything to Council on Saturday? If so, Council would presumably want Angus, if available, as he finished a close third in October's elections behind Sean and Julian
It must be incredibly unlikely that folk who voted for me would want to see me replaced by Angus French.
I think Angus would make an excellent addition to the council and clearly he is his own man, a free thinking independant.

To be honest if someone wishes to give up their free time to sit on the ECF council they should be welcomed with open arms (provided they are not mass murderers etc)
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:50 am

Martin Crichton wrote: To be honest if someone wishes to give up their free time to sit on the ECF council
Slip of the pen perhaps, but Council is the name given to meetings of the voting membership. This mostly consists of representatives of Counties, Leagues and Congresses and both Angus and Sean are or were already voting attendees. The Board is a much smaller body, nominally ten at full strength, currently down to seven. This meets monthly and is charge of the ECF between Council meetings.

The voting for or against the proposition to appoint Andrew Paulson in place of Nigel Short for some of the Tromso meetings is to be put to the ECF Council, namely the wider body.

What the Council members will make of all the apparent Board infighting over the last six months remains to be seen.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:04 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:What the Council members will make of all the apparent Board infighting over the last six months remains to be seen.
They should make of it what I made of it on October 16 last year, on hearing the AGM outcome.
David Robertson wrote:What should we do next?

Easy. Someone should open a book on the first resignation. No way that Board of suppurating egos and personality disorders will hold together for long.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:03 pm

Cheers
Carl Hibbard

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:51 pm

Yes. That just about nails it.